I7 920+Intel DX58SO or i7 920 + 'x'

helpAnoob

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and also a first time Intel builder. I'm not sure if anyone is aware, but if you work in the retail industry, there are special perks for sales employees of stores.

One special is from Intel. They are having a promotion where an Intel Core i7 920 and an Intel DX58SO for $289 (w/o shipping I assume). This bundle comes with the following:
* Intel® Core™ i7 920 processor
* Intel® Desktop Board DX58SO
* Windows Vista Ultimate*
* Upgrade voucher to receive Windows 7* upon its release

I read that the max overclock the 920 can achieve is 4.0GHz., but I don't think I will want to overclock that high. I'm thinking a modest 3.2 GHz -3.6 GHz will serve my needs of gaming and video editing. (I'm upgrading from an 3.2 GHz AMD 6400+)

My main concern is the Intel Mobo. I've read many forums where the people say that other manufacturers such as Asus or Gigabyte would be a better alternative, but I've read articles stating the overclocking on the Intel board wasn't that bad.

Can anyone provide some insight to this mobo and an i7 processor? I mean, retail prices for both of these are well above what Intel is offering and it even has Vista.

Should I stick with this combo or opt to get just the $129 (w/o shipping I assume)
* Intel® Core™ i7 920 processor
* Windows Vista Ultimate*
* Upgrade voucher to receive Windows 7* upon its release

Is there a better alternative out there in comparison to the Intel DX58SO for ~ $160?

Thanks for any input..

rogerfaucher

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
The bundle you refer to sounds very appealing. Do you have a link to a source to buy that?

Thanks
Roger Faucher
rogerfaucher@comcast.net