Sign in with
Your question

Q6600 temps idle at 80c

Last response: in CPUs
March 25, 2009 10:48:49 PM

I just installed a new power supply in my aspire ase700-case with a q6600 and a 8800gts and my idle temp jumped from 50c to 80c!. The case seems cramped but im not sure if the heat problem is from the space or the heatsink, i've tried moving all the cables around and placing an external fan but the temps seem the same. Should i try i new heat sink or buy a new case, also should i get a full tower or mid tower case?

More about : q6600 temps idle 80c

March 25, 2009 11:04:00 PM

vince26 said:
I just installed a new power supply in my aspire ase700-case with a q6600 and a 8800gts and my idle temp jumped from 50c to 80c!. The case seems cramped but im not sure if the heat problem is from the space or the heatsink, i've tried moving all the cables around and placing an external fan but the temps seem the same. Should i try i new heat sink or buy a new case, also should i get a full tower or mid tower case?

You probably bumped the CPU cooler when installing the new power supply. Reapply the thermal paste and make sure you clean off both the CPU and HS with a cleaning agent (rubbing alcohol will do) before applying the paste. If that isn't the issue, check the CPU voltage in the BIOS and see if it's running at stock voltage.

Also, I wouldn't recommend running your PC until you reapply the thermal paste.

Good luck!
March 25, 2009 11:17:04 PM

Yes, i'm curious if that works... Let us/me know :_) A new power supply shouldn't have caused a temp change, at all...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 26, 2009 12:14:13 AM

g3force said:
You probably bumped the CPU cooler when installing the new power supply. Reapply the thermal paste and make sure you clean off both the CPU and HS with a cleaning agent (rubbing alcohol will do) before applying the paste. If that isn't the issue, check the CPU voltage in the BIOS and see if it's running at stock voltage.

Also, I wouldn't recommend running your PC until you reapply the thermal paste.

Good luck!

What thermal paste would you recommend? and do you think i should get a bigger case to be safe?
March 26, 2009 2:01:13 AM

First put the old PSU back into the case and see if the temps go back down. If the temps go back down then you know your new PSU is no good or it's just putting out to much heat. Try going into some type of temp monitor and see what the temp is of the case. In my case I have an ASUS board and the AI Suite has a case temp sensor on the motherboard itself to monitor the temp of the rest of the system (it helps determine airflow.) If the temps show up high put your hand into the case and feel it, if they feel as high as the monitor says then your PSU is for sure bad. Though if the temps feel cooler than the monitor says it could be that your CPU sensors went bad right when you added the new PSU. It seems unlikely but with computers you never know. Also don't mess with the CPU by taking it out of its socket or anything. If you know the CPU was once cool than there is another factor affecting it other than the heat sink.
March 26, 2009 2:01:37 AM

Also the best thermal paste is Arctic Silver 5.
March 26, 2009 2:17:04 AM

Run it with the case side panel off, that'll reduce the impact of a poor airflow case. It won't eliminate it but it'll reduce it. If you really want to completely eliminate the case as a factor, take out your motherboard and run it on a cardboard box, or put it on some timber 2x4s (make sure there's no metal things in it, nails, screws, etc., they could cause nasty things to happen) and point a desk fan at it.

50c is still extremely high for a Q6600 at idle (even overclocked to ~3 GHz with the stock cooler with the generic thermal paste)...

Take off your heatsink, clean off any paste from the CPU and HSF. I normally use high-concentration cleaning alcohol and cotton buds. Reapply thermal paste (a rice-grain sized blob in the middle is enough), put on your HSF, make sure all the pins are in properly (another reason for having the motherboard out, you can turn it over and check they're all in properly). Fire it up and check your temps again.

Best paste = Arctic Silver 5.
March 26, 2009 2:34:04 AM

I have taken off the side and opened a window to cool the room to about 15c, in Hwmonitor i see 4 other temps. ACPI is at 41c, i think this is a case monitor, and 3 temps from my PSU are 40 45 and 25 however my cpu is still hovering around 60-65c.
The exhaust from the PSU seem to be blowing right on the metal part of heatsink and it seems pretty warm so i doubt the sensor is faulty.
March 26, 2009 2:38:56 AM

RealTemp is the temperature monitor I trust, and it's proven accurate for the Q6600. Better safe than sorry.

The best thing to do is eliminate as many factors as possible. If you haven't got a fancy cable management system going in your PC case then unscrew your PSU and sit it on top of or beside your case so that it's not interfering. Process of elimination is what it's all about.
March 26, 2009 3:06:37 AM

Kraynor said:
RealTemp is the temperature monitor I trust, and it's proven accurate for the Q6600. Better safe than sorry.

The best thing to do is eliminate as many factors as possible. If you haven't got a fancy cable management system going in your PC case then unscrew your PSU and sit it on top of or beside your case so that it's not interfering. Process of elimination is what it's all about.

i tried the realtemp app and the temps i'm getting are 10c lower then hw_mointor so i should trust realtemp?
March 26, 2009 8:01:03 PM

I just removed the power supply from the case so now there is ample air flow but the temp still hovers around 56c at idle, does this mean i should put new paste on the heatsink?
March 26, 2009 8:14:46 PM

mamw93 said:
Also the best thermal paste is Arctic Silver 5.

MX-2 is better than Arctic Silver 5… you get the same temps with no “set-up” time.
April 7, 2009 5:30:54 PM

I bought some arctic silver 5 and applied it buy my idle temp only dropped to about 50
April 7, 2009 5:42:15 PM

to give u a gauge.

my Q6600 runs about 40'c average..surfing/word processing.. and about 50c under heavy load.. like Gaming and illustrator.. in the winter.. in the summer when my room hits in the high 80's my Quad can run for high 40s into the 50's. im on a stock fan. with 2 120mm fans on the top. and 120m fan on the front and back.

My Room Temps i would say is about 65 to 70 right now. and last time i check it was about 43C 35C 32C and 35C..

You said you where looking into a new case i recommend the Cooler master 690. its a really nice big case.

Heres my spec.s

Q6600 On Stock Fan (not over clocked)
8800GTS
4Gigs of 6400Pc2
MSI p5n mobo
and a 500watt PSU.
Case Cooler Master 690'.

April 9, 2009 4:22:45 AM

I was looking at that case but my psu has a fan on the bottom not the top, would that be a problem with the psu being held at the bottem? is there vents for the air flow, also my avg temps right now in winter is 50c on real temp but like 65 on hwmointer which one is accurate :S
!