Sign in with
Your question

Vista or XP? Vista 32 bit or 64 bit?

Last response: in Systems
December 29, 2008 5:08:23 AM

ok i just bought all the parts for my new computer. Im running 2GB of ram I do plan to upgrade it in the future sometime maybe in about a year or so...espcially with the new Windows 7 OS comming out then. Um i was going for 4GB of ram but the guy at the store said that the 2GB ( http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item... ) is faster so the speed makes up for the memory so its about the same as the 4GB but at half the price. The 4GB one is ( http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item... ). Im gonna be running the new AMD Phenom 9950 X4 Quad Processor Black edition. With this Mobo ( http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item... )

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks in Advance,

JD

More about : vista vista bit bit

December 29, 2008 5:30:37 AM

BS about that 2gb being faster then 4gb, and forget 2 AND 4gb and go for 8gb and Vista 64 - the prices and performance these days why the hell not.

Vista 64 + 8gb is a monster!
December 29, 2008 5:40:44 AM

I agree...the guy who told u that 2gb of 1066 ram is better than 4gb of 800 ram is straight up retarded...
Related resources
December 29, 2008 7:02:27 AM

Right now 8 GB is overkill, only a few apps and games can that advantage of that memory. Go with 4 GB of RAM and Vista 64.
December 29, 2008 7:45:00 AM

Go for 64 bit if you can get all the nessessary 64bit drivers... If not, it is somewhat so so...
But yeah. more ram is normally better, depending on what do you do. I am sure, that some programs works better, with faster and less ram, but those are guite old programs. SO as everyone has said. go for 4Gb.
December 29, 2008 7:50:05 AM

IF you use a 64 bit system you get TINY increases by adding more RAM

IF you have a 32 bit system you get an emptier wallet .

My choice re OS's is to stick with XP . Partly because I already have it . Partly because its faster with 2 gig of RAM than vista is with 4 ... or 6 .... or even 8 gig of RAM .
When windows 7 is proven to work I will probably need a new computer , or I will buy more RAM
December 29, 2008 8:30:26 AM

Outlander_04 said:
IF you use a 64 bit system you get TINY increases by adding more RAM

IF you have a 32 bit system you get an emptier wallet .

My choice re OS's is to stick with XP . Partly because I already have it . Partly because its faster with 2 gig of RAM than vista is with 4 ... or 6 .... or even 8 gig of RAM .
When windows 7 is proven to work I will probably need a new computer , or I will buy more RAM

You have obviously never used a vista x64 machine with 8gb.

Your XP past 1.5gb feels almost dead, 3gb feels the same as 1.5gb, and XP x64 with 8gb feels exactly the same and the 1.5gb x86 install - the OS doesnt know how to use such mammoth resources where as vista x64 knows verry well how to use a butt load of resources verry well and will give you a boost for every bit you give it.

NEW SYSTEM, NEW OS
December 29, 2008 1:04:27 PM

well the problem is that since i already bought it my dad wont let me buy any new ram for awhile since i had just bought it...but i guess ill upgrade to 4gb in a month or so...or maybe in march for my B day....anyways im stuck with 2gb for now so you think i should still run 64 bit?
December 29, 2008 1:55:30 PM

I would go with 64-bit Vista so you're ready for your upgrade to 4GB of RAM. I ran 64-bit Vista for about a month with 2GB before upgrading to 4GB. There's really no reason to get a 32-bit OS anymore IMO.
December 29, 2008 1:57:43 PM

as far as I am concerned, 8gig is "too much" for the moment. With 4, you'll barely fill it halfway before you run out of things to open up. Sure, if you run several instances of wow at the same time and you alt-tab between them, then maybe it could be useful. For general use, 4gig is plenty.

Also, the guy at the shop was right: 1066mhz ddr2 ram is faster than 800mhz ram. It doesn't mean that it translates into real life performance increases that blows your mind away though. For mild overclocks, 800mhz is plenty.

Talking about FUD, vista sp1 is pretty much stable and fine, especially compared to xp (which is now at sp3, after how many years on the market again?). If you have to buy a new license, just go with vista home premium and enjoy dx10 games. If you already own a winxp license, keep it until windows 7 ;) 
January 1, 2009 2:35:05 AM

antiacid said:
as far as I am concerned, 8gig is "too much" for the moment. With 4, you'll barely fill it halfway before you run out of things to open up. Sure, if you run several instances of wow at the same time and you alt-tab between them, then maybe it could be useful. For general use, 4gig is plenty.

Also, the guy at the shop was right: 1066mhz ddr2 ram is faster than 800mhz ram. It doesn't mean that it translates into real life performance increases that blows your mind away though. For mild overclocks, 800mhz is plenty.

Talking about FUD, vista sp1 is pretty much stable and fine, especially compared to xp (which is now at sp3, after how many years on the market again?). If you have to buy a new license, just go with vista home premium and enjoy dx10 games. If you already own a winxp license, keep it until windows 7 ;) 

Vista has been stable from day one - nvidia drivers and a few others have not.
!