stopsign002

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I just recently upgraded to a 9800GTX+ black edition. since i did this i have been having wierd issues. my computer set up is as follows.

680i EVGA board
2 gigs ram 999mhz 2.1V
9800GTX+ black edition
e6750 core 2 duo (not overclocked atm)
2 HDDs (not raptors or anything fast)
Windows 7

all of that is on a 580 Watt hyper power supply (over 80% efficient)

If i run anything besides just my games (WoW, Dawn of War II, Mirror's Edge) i usually end up crashing after awhile. sometimes my computer will just crash with only my games up. also, if there are too many things happening on the screen my FPS will drop DRAMATICALLY. In WoW, if certain area of effect things are on the screen at once, or just certain ones that are more GPU intensive my FPS can drop from maxed (literally sitting at 60) to 15-20. Yet other times I can have 30+ people on the screen at once with no drop in FPS. A 9800GTX+ should have NO problems with WoW at all.

The only thing i can think of would be that i need a better PSU. I dont know too much about how to figure out what wattage PSU i need so i figured i would come here and ask. Thanks

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Firstly, don't use WoW as an example. It's a very busy game graphically, way too many things going on at once that aren't predictable vector processes to be a real measure. My 4870X2 has trouble from time to time (damn WoW not having crossfire support... that 2nd GPU's just sitting there nice and happy at 0% activity while playing...). Don't expect to run it on everything maxxed, especially Shadows, they eat GPU power.

Anyway, here's what you do:

Download RealTemp, check your temperatures. Use the Log To File option so that you have data to go back to after a crash. GPU-Z can monitor your GPU temps, so that'd be one to get too, it can also log to a file. Get your hands on MemTest and run it (it'll take a while), your RAM mightn't be able to keep that rather odd 999MHz clock.

Other things to try: Get more RAM. Nobody should run with less than 4gb anymore. So, get that, and then switch from 32-bit Windows 7 to 64-bit. Everyone should do that regardless of whether or not they're having problems.

Also, keep in mind you're running a BETA operating system. Crashes are inevitable on it.

580W should be enough for that system, and from what I remember Hyper are pretty good, not in the realm of Corsair or PC Power & Cooling, but still pretty good. I wouldn't think it's causing your problems.