Sign in with
Your question

GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
May 12, 2009 2:58:00 AM

Hello,

Need help - I have been building rigs for 5 years but that doesn't mean I know what I am doing :) 

Here are my specs:

GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready
8 GB OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
2 - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb
2 - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb
1 - Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb

I meticulously installed all parts - was able to boot and install Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit and do all the updates. Windows reconized all parts and saw the 8 GB of RAM and the EVGA video card. Did no OC'ing or RAID setup as I wanted to get all updates first.

In fact the machine was lightning fast and I was very happy so no OC'ing. I went to update the BIOS since it was only reading the AMD as 1.6 GHz and when I did that through the GIGABYTE update utility I got a BSOD and the PC shutdown. Okay I figured I would just reset the CMOS and it would boot.

But no boot - no beeps - when I power it on all lights come on, the fans spin, but when the video is hooked up to power it seems I get some sort of weakened power to all fans and I do not hear any activity from the hard drives. The fans speed up and than slow down.

When I disconnect power to the video card all fans work as they should and I can hear the hard drive spin and all other sounds that would make the board sound like it is trying to boot but since I disconnected the video I have no display.

I put in another PCI video card just to test it out and still no video - no beeps. But since I used a lower power video card all system, cpu fans and hard drive appear to be working but still no video.

The monitor displays a mesage to replace the cable but I am thinking it is either the MOBO or VIDEO since I did have the power situation before I even loaded Vista. When it first happened I reseated the Video Card and it worked but now after a weeks work of building a RIG meticulously I an with no video.

Any help would be appreciated as I do not want to RMA the wrong part. I am thinking MOBO and VIDEO but could it be power since I was having issues with the fans and video on first install.

I removed RAM to test that part but as far as anything else only cleared CMOS. My apologies for the long post but I need help and I hope I covered it all for you techies. :) 

Thanks for any help.

Chris

a c 229 V Motherboard
May 12, 2009 3:08:13 AM

Did the BIOS flash start before the BSOD? If so, Gigabyte should provide a BIOS recovery procedure for that motherboard.
May 12, 2009 3:24:38 AM

Hello,

Thank you for the quick reply. I was using the @BIOS utility within Windows - which their site says it was made for. Everything was working fine until it was almost done and than no video ---> BSOD ---> System shut down. Now as I explained I have no video at all and no beeps.

I made sure the O.S. environment was stable before the BIOS flash update. I checked their site but I still have not found an answer. I have a DUAL bios on this MOBO but I have not been able to utilize that since I cannot get video. It is suppose to resuce you if a BIOS flash did not happen the right way.

Thanks again.

Chris
Related resources
May 12, 2009 4:59:09 AM

you might be able to return the board where you bought it it's a new model so they shouldn't give you a problem
just say it stoped working
use the qflash utility next time with the bios file on a usb flash drive and make a backup of your original before flashing
it
you can try putting in the driver cd it might try to reflash off that
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245367-30-ds3l-bios-u...

The bios has what they call a boot block. in most cases this is never corrupted. The boot block tells the bios to do its thing. Gigabyte tells it to check the bios and if its gone bad to look on a HDD(if nothing here then it goes to the CD) for a computable bios. In your case you had it all on enough that is should have fixed it self.
It looks like your boot block somehow got corrupt too and it was unable to recover. this kind of thing can happen. The RMA should fix it....

a c 229 V Motherboard
May 12, 2009 12:49:44 PM

Since the backup BIOS didn't replace the main BIOS, as Marco said, your only option might be to RMA the motherboard.

You should always use Q-Flash when flashing your BIOS. Using a Windows utility is fine as long as you make sure that nothing else is running, e.g., no antivirus and/or application that could interrupt the flash process.
May 12, 2009 2:01:05 PM

Thank you to GhislainG and marco324 for your replies.

I have sent the MOBO and VIDEO back. There was something about the card when I hooked it up to the CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W that would drain voltage on the board. When I removed VIDEO the board would receive proper voltage. Than I started smelling a tar like smell - I have worked as an electrician and have smelled that smell when ballasts go. So now I am wondering if it was the power or that the MOBO was preventing the juice from getting through the whole board.

I will post back again once I have the new gear and will see if I am able to get it all up and running.

Thanks again for the replies.
May 17, 2009 7:30:33 PM

I am looking at reviews on this board just before I commit to buying one and I've noticed a couple of reviews and forums about the bios updating on this board being very flakey.

Sometimes the board does fire up and resets the bios and times etc etc or does update at all and throws up lots of errors.

I am tempted to stick to a MSI board due to very sharp reviews.
May 17, 2009 10:09:19 PM

While I had the first MOBO the BIOS reset itself several times. Very annoying and frustrating that this would happen. Also the location of the CMOS reset switch is right below where a full size graphics card would sit. The board is actually poorly designed. I have always built my rigs using ASUS but I thought I would give Gigabyte a try.

Will post back once I get my new MOBO from the RMA I sent to Newegg. It has been over a week already. Will let you know how it went.
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 17, 2009 10:20:23 PM

You can trust GB MOBOs; it's windoze-based BIOS flashing that is the killer, on any manufacturer's boards. I continue to warn people about not using the @BIOS utility, and I continue to see MOBOs 'bricked' by it. The GB MOBOs are very resilient - twice now, I've coughed a BIOS flash (due to a corrupted file on a floppy), had the dual BIOS feature reset the board to the as-shipped BIOS, and been able to recover from there. This was not convenient: I had to uninstall the water block, let it dangle, and put in a Celeron w/Intel fansink, as the shipped BIOS doesn't support my CPU stepping, and I'm unwilling to chance it, but, hey - didn't need an RMA!

Another thing I really like about the 'UD' (Ultra Durable) boards is (aside from their ditzy claims about 50 degrees C cooler - I'm pretty sure if anything on my MOBOs got 50 C cooler, there'd be frost on it!) that, when installing the HSF (which always, no matter whose, seems to be a real PITA) pins without pulling the MOBO, they feel really solid, and never give you the sinking feeling that you're one half pound of pressure from a loud, fatal 'crack"!

The best way to flash is the BIOS' built-in flashing function; you can mostly trust loading a basic OS (like DOS' boot) to run a batch file to flash from the disk/USB drive; you really don't want to have something as complex (and failure prone) as windows doing a flash! You want to really be scared about the safety of any of your data, sometime hunt down a good diagnostic tool that shows all of the active threads that windows is running (or holding in abeyance) - there are literally thousands of them. Most of them are fault-tolerant, i.e., if something gets cooked, they'll quietly shut down, maybe log an error, or do a retry; BUT - when you're flashing, there are no second tries!

Besides never using @BIOS, there is another procedure that can't hurt, and may save your board in the event of a mishap. Once you have an operating system (I mean an operating system, i.e., stable, but not necessarily tweaked; not an OS, like windoze...) , first thing (assuming you are not booting off RAID - doesn't play nice with RAIDs), run the Express Recovery utility off the disk that shipped with the MOBO, and set your BIOS to have a CD/DVD somewhere in the boot sequence. The utility appears, among other things (and I can't really verify this, as I use only RAIDs to boot), to store a copy of your BIOS somewhere between the MBR of the boot disk, and the start of the first partition; it is sometimes able to fix an otherwise torqued BIOS.

There are bugs, and they mostly do involve the boot block, which is, in essence, a storage table for the parameters that allow the BIOS to control the programmable MOBO hardware - CPU, RAM, MOSFET phasing, various bus frequencies, latencies, multipliers, and whatnot. I use a pretty standard procedure for tweaking; I set the CPU multiplier as low as possible, and then try to run up the FSB and RAM as fast as they will tolerate and remain stable; that way, the CPU stability is eliminated from the equation; I know what the rest of the harware can stand, before I start 'bringing up' the CPU. Sometimes, when I get a 'bad setup' reset, rather than reading the CPU and SPD, and setting them to 'base', the dippy thing will set 111MHz, rather than 333, and boot (taking foooorrreevveer) at that 6 multiplier, or 666MHz (fundamentalists - beware!), instead of, say 3.8 GHz! A real pain - and, really, in an ideal world, shouldn't happen - but there it is... Also, on occasion, a new BIOS rev will have a significantly different boot block structure from the one you've 'burned over'; in this case, the initialization routines should catch it, but, once again, don't always - that's the purpose for doing a "Load Optimized Defaults" every time you try a new BIOS.

Another time saver that's worth the trouble to become familiar with is the built-in 'load from/save to CMOS' functions; this way, you can find a stable baseline set of parameters to work from while tweaking, and save it, so, after your next 'blown' reset, you can get easily back to where you were. Also, eliminates the wasted afternoon of, "well, I'm sure it was working" tweaking, having forgotten that "damn, that's right, I originally had to bump the Trd to six!" discoveries... The latest ones are even compliant enough to keep track of how many times you've booted successfully from each profile - a major time saver! Also, get in the habit of naming 'em to mean somthing: 'Try1' and 'Try2' are not very helpful; '450Base', and '460@1.35cor' are!
May 20, 2009 11:46:23 PM

GhislainG said:
Since the backup BIOS didn't replace the main BIOS, as Marco said, your only option might be to RMA the motherboard.

You should always use Q-Flash when flashing your BIOS. Using a Windows utility is fine as long as you make sure that nothing else is running, e.g., no antivirus and/or application that could interrupt the flash process.

Hello,

I got the new board and video card and installed everything and did a pretty good job at cable management and carefully installing everything. Thought it would work BUT still no video and no beeps. All fans and lights come on.

I have tried another video card and still nothing. I hear the CDROMs but what good is that. I am very frustrated - I took out the EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GeForce GTX 275 and replaced it with a EVGA 256-P2-N761-TR GeForce 8600 GTS to see if I would get video - NADA.

I took the RAM chips out and replaced them one by one - NADA. Now I am thinking it is the processor. I am getting frustrated RMAing everything - never RMA'd anything before. Just got finished building 2 other rigs that booted up on first try and now this board is defeating me. (GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P AM3 DDR3 )

I have used other GB boards and they are fine (different models) - something with this GA-MA790FXT board.

Another thing is the power - when the EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GeForce GTX 275 is hooked up the fans speed up and then slow down on a continual basis (every 1-2 seconds) - when I disconnect it the fans run at a constant speed. This card takes 2 PCI-E power cables and the 8600 only takes one. The fans run fine when one PCI-E is plugged in.

No post screen - cannot even get into the BIOS. Help!
a c 229 V Motherboard
May 21, 2009 12:49:40 AM

You already know why the first motherboard went bad. It's possible that the CPU failed and caused the incomplete BIOS flash, but it's unlikely. Other than using spare parts or having them tested (mainly the CPU and motherboard), there isn't much that you can do.
May 21, 2009 1:59:16 AM

GhislainG said:
You already know why the first motherboard went bad. It's possible that the CPU failed and caused the incomplete BIOS flash, but it's unlikely. Other than using spare parts or having them tested (mainly the CPU and motherboard), there isn't much that you can do.

Interesting - will have to RMA the processor and power supply now since I cannot tell what it is. The first setup was a bit hectic but the BIOS saw the memory and all drives and Win64 loaded fine. But I did have that power probelm with the fans speeding up and then slowing down every few seconds and this was before any BIOS flash or OS load.

I thought I would build a nice fast rig and now it has taken close to 4 weeks and nothing yet - like I said I have built other rigs with no prob. Have always used Intel and ASUS - First time using AMD and GB. MAybe the last time to.

a c 229 V Motherboard
May 21, 2009 2:15:13 AM

Can't you try a PSU from another system or do you have only one system?
May 22, 2009 11:43:30 AM

GhislainG said:
Can't you try a PSU from another system or do you have only one system?

I couldn't try another CPU since this was my first AMD build - I have always used Intel. I just got done building 2 other rigs - one ASUS mobo and the other was a GB mobo - both Intel CPU.

I RMAed the parts - all of them (except the RAM) - the CPU upon close inspection didn't have any pins broke, twisted or the likes. But the edges of it looked like it was sweating - not liquid sweat - just a layer on them that was not similiar to other chips I used.

The one thing that had me questioning this rig was the power probelm with the fans speeding up and then slowing down every few seconds and this was before any BIOS flash or OS load or even a POST when the first board booted up.

Being concerned with the voltage ups and downs I RMAed. Will post back again when I hopefully get all new parts and try again.

Thanks GhislainG for the reply.

May 30, 2009 7:23:14 PM

My gear was very similar to yours, I was just curious if you actually were running your RAM at 1600. My CPU seems to have an issue with me putting it to 1600 (even tho thats how the BIOS set it out of the box...)

I have same MoBO and CPU

my RAM is Mushkin DDR3 1600 2 x 2Gig stick.

Unfortunatly I am running it at only 1333 6-6-6-18 because that seems the most stable. And this way my comp wont freeze directly after reaching windows.

Thoughts?
June 7, 2009 2:46:27 PM

I have same board with AMD 955 BE.
This board is real particular. I have built several systems and have never had all these problems.
Set up boot sequence, set up boot drive Sata 1. Disconnected all other Hard drives.
Originally OS installed but when I ran GB driver/update disc - the ide dvd drives disappeared in XP but still seen in BIOS.
OK - SO I installed the GB drivers one by one and rebooted inbetween - now I get BSOD. have re-installed OS (XP pro sp2) 5 times and still BSOD.
BSOD disappears so fast you can not read past the first line.
I was going to test EACH of the 5 drivers one by one next.
OCZ told me to only use the 1333 DDR3 ram- that's what I got.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks
June 11, 2009 1:37:40 PM

to iamdivinci

I bought the exact same MB, CPU and memory as you. (and I bet I you who from!) Have been building AMDs for many years. Set it all up and no boot - no power! The lights on the MB based switches would illuminate (power, reset, cmos) but nothing would happen. Pulled out an OLD CompUSA branded power supply (350w) and hooked it up - the MB powered right up. My supposition is that you MIGHT be having a similar problem. The is the likelihood that there is Something about you PS the MB does not like.

More often than not - I have found Power supplies to be a bigger problem that any other component when newly built systems fail to properly power up/boot/etc.

I suggest a different/newer one.

Best of luck!

stanalar
June 12, 2009 1:26:02 AM

OK now a week later here is the solution to all the problems:

1. You MUST update BIOS before going on-in order to recognize 955 cpu\
otherwise you will hae a 1.6 Ghz cpu.

If you install the AMD power saver -it automatically downgrades the cores to run around 800 mhz!!
at idle - This is a power saving feature
I left it off and set first to cores (GB BIOS TWEEKER) to +10% each and last 2 cores to -5%

2. Gigabyte Mobo Realteck HD audio driver caused BSOD !!!- reinstalled 5 times (clean each time) and added driver one at a time, with reboot, until I figured out which driver is the problem.
GB tech support said this is not possible with clean install- but it IS!!
I went to Realtek site and downloaded the proper driver from there

3. IDE drives disappear because : - you must set IDE delay to greater than 0 (advanced BIOS) or set IDE drive as first boot device -inorder to show up.
IDE delay tells bios how long to look for IDE cd/dvd drives/devices -so at zero you will see nothing

You must have boot drive on first raid connector in the Master connector(only) - or it will not correctly boot (& BSOD)
You will know if it is in the first sata connector AND slave position when you do not get assigned drive C during OS install.

If you have other boot problems -look to see if ALL your memory is recognized - if not RE-Seat it!!

This is a very fussy mobo - probably NOT for the first time builder
Once going it runs great !!

This is my 3rd build and it took me awhile because many items are NOT address in mobo book and Gigabyte tech support took 4 business days to reply via email.

Best feature is the automatic back up onto the unpartition boot hard drive space.
(you leave 30 GB or so unpartitioned for this feature)
IN event you get corrupted -just press a button and a quick RESTORE occurs!!
Thanks!!
Steve

June 12, 2009 10:43:56 AM

snic

Interesting that you had to go through THAT much effort/pain! WOW! Not sure its worth it.

I did not have near so many problems. I did a new/clean install of Vista 64 on a new HD as I wanted to take advantage of all of the 8 gig of memory I bought. True, I also had to update the BIOS to get it to recognize the 955 CPU to run at 3.2 gig. But I have had no trouble with the audio driver nor haven't gotten any BSODs. Granted, I am not using a RAID configuration though.

I haven't attempted any speed tweeks/BIOS adjustments so far. My biggest complaint/problem is the boot up time. From turn on till ready to go is usually over 3 minutes. Thats wayyyyy too long! (I have an HP Vista 32 laptop that beats that time by half) And I haven't figured that out yet. I have worked on the start-up services and eliminated much of the junk that loads there but it hasn't helped.

I would appreciate any advice on that issue/problem......!
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 12, 2009 3:44:50 PM

One thing that may help considerably - visit Diskeeper at:
http://www.diskeeper.com/trialware/TrialwareProducts.as...
And request a trial of 'ProPremier'...
Install it, and configure your boot drive to do a "BootTime Defrag"; you'll only need to do it once - I got about 15% speed up out of it, and, in general, I notice that it gradually improves program load times, too. Note: do not do the boot defrag if you're running AutoCAD with a local license - it can re-sequence files in the AutoCAD startup that will 'break' the license, and require a re-format to fix! Also, you might want to d/l & try Win7; it's overall much quicker, and a pleasure to use...
June 12, 2009 10:27:18 PM

I have this board too and it seems that after doing much research on google it seems like a rubbish board. Huge reliability issues. My board was a right pain to get up and running and now I have a high pitched noise coming from my LAN port when active... Never had a good Gigabyte board since my first Athlon back in 2001.. Stick to Asus or MSI
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 12, 2009 10:51:58 PM

Geez - that's pretty much my attitude toward AMD - never have had an AMD piece that even came close to approaching parity with Intel products from the same generation - just swore off 'em, wholesale...
August 20, 2009 4:20:08 AM

I been reading all the different troubles with this mobo,and I was about to upgrade to this board but now I think I'll stick with MSI.The MSI board I'm using at the moment is over 3 yrs old and I've upgraded so many items on this MB and it still keeps ticking.I haven't had any problems other than Vista 64bit.But that's fixed and I was going to get a Gigabyte-790FXT,but I think u guys have said it all.I don't believe you shouldn't have a problem from time to time in a build,but this MB sound like it takes up to much time in getting things to work properly.Thanks to all for your reviews,as I'm going to go with MSI or Asus.You all talked great points about this MB.That's the reason I come to this forum.
September 3, 2009 3:50:16 AM

madwheels said:
I been reading all the different troubles with this mobo,and I was about to upgrade to this board but now I think I'll stick with MSI.The MSI board I'm using at the moment is over 3 yrs old and I've upgraded so many items on this MB and it still keeps ticking.I haven't had any problems other than Vista 64bit.But that's fixed and I was going to get a Gigabyte-790FXT,but I think u guys have said it all.I don't believe you shouldn't have a problem from time to time in a build,but this MB sound like it takes up to much time in getting things to work properly.Thanks to all for your reviews,as I'm going to go with MSI or Asus.You all talked great points about this MB.That's the reason I come to this forum.

madwheels, you might want to look at more than just the few posts made on this forum before you are 'talked out' of a nice board. Do a little homework first. Read some of the tech reports/reviews on this board, check manufacturer's web sites and read compatibility lists, and look through customer reviews at places like newegg.

Aside from factory flawed boards (all mobo manufacturers ship out some of those), there are many different reasons why some people have problems getting their newly built systems up and running. I've built my fair share of systems but before I purchase a product like a motherboard, processor, or even a graphics card, I put my mouse to work and read as much information as I can find about each item. When I finally decide on a purchase, I know exactly what I'm getting. I have never had a problem with any system I have built, and I don't think it had anything to do with luck.

I skim lots of forums, although I rarely post comments, but I'm making an exception here because my latest build (about a month ago) included the GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P and AMD's Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition and I am very satisfied with it. I unpacked everything, put it all together, and I was up and running in just a few short hours. No compatibility issues, no bios flashing needed. So far, no problems and no complaints.
December 4, 2009 3:39:09 PM

I just spent hours with this board.
I had it all running and i was loading in win 7 64 and after around 15min it locked up and posted a meg saying hardware problem.
It then rebooter and now all i get is beeping and not video now.

My fans are now like the other user speeding up and down and i have no video just beeping sounds.
Also i have no power to mt DVD drive now unless i unplug it from the mother board then it works from the power supply but when pluged back into the board it will not work now.
I changed out the DVD with one from my other PC and it has the same problem not power when hooked to the MB
I replaced the video card with one from my other pc that did not work.
I changed out the power suply with my other PC and that did not work.
Changed out ram did not work.

Nothing left to change out but the board and cpu

Not happy at all.
I never messed with the bios or anything and windows 7 never got to install all the way.
This sucks.

bob[at]grandwebsite.com
December 8, 2009 4:38:38 PM

Well, hi to everyone, Im new in this forum but not in the hardware software world....
I can see some have had problems with this MOBO, I got this one right now and a BE 955, and NO PROBLEMS AT ALL, is the first time i work with this brand (GB) and i fully satisfied, this MOBO beats any other MSI MOBO By far..... some of the problems are not for the MOBO, may be the DDR, GPU etc etc....

For example I got a pair of Supertalent Memories w1600ub2g9, and in the first round the windoze, doesn´t boot, then i just read about the Volt and i raised that´s all....

So I´m very happy, just stay calm and think.....
February 20, 2010 1:04:38 AM

Sorry for the late reply to this subject ...... please don't blame all AMD or Gigabyte boards because of a few problems ...... before I bought my GA-MA790FXT-UD5P I searched the net for not days but weeks reading reviews on this and other boards that would support a AMD Phenom II x4 965 (125w) ...... and found very good reviews ..... I have been running this board know for almost a month (yea .. it isn't long I know) and have found nothing wrong with it at all ...... except some problems in bios that I caused myself ........ this board and chip are an awesome combination and along with a 9800GT a great gaming combo

At present I can play FarCry 2 and Assassin's Creed on their highest settings (ultra in the case of FarCry 2) with excellent results ..... after 2 hours of play my CPU only reaches 46C and Vid card 72C ........ but then my ambient temp here is 34C .......

So all in all I would highly recommend this board ...... something to consider with out trying to insult anyone is that sometimes we cause problems ourselves when doing rebuilds I know I did but I was able to recover my mistakes and hopefully learn from them ....... PLEASE DON'T SELL THIS BOARD SHORT
!