Yet another computer virgin.

juss

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
As the title says, this is my first time building a PC.

I need Help!
First off I want to thank you for looking and reading my post.

The main purpose of this computer will be, of course, Gaming! Keeping in mind I'm an engineering student, so I need to run CAD programs with ease.

Now, I've been looking around the web for advice on what I should by, comparing prices/preference, yet I'm still a [strike]little[/strike] and good more than a little confused.
So let me tell you want I have so far:

For the case I have plans to purchase a Antec 900. This case has optimal airflow and is decently sized, and with a little tweaking, cable management will look good. + I like LEDs.

For a MOBO, I think I will be going with the EVGA 780i SLI (If I choose to upgrade this mobo will provide space for 1-2 additional GPUs)

Since the MOBO is an EVGA 780i, I guess I'm going with Intel rather than AMD. It's a little more expensive, but I heard better things. Please enlighten me if I have been led down a false trail. Now the CPUs I have narrowed it down too is the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 or the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400/8500
I'm not really sure. By the sounds of it Quad core would be better, and it's only ~20$ more. Advice would be appreciated.

Now for the GPU, I'm going with the EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR. I was thinking about the 9800 GT, but that is very similar to the 8800. So I thought I would pay 20-40$ extra for the "X+"

PSU is something I need advice on. What Should I get, How many Watts/Amps/etc. Brand. I would Like it to be around 100$ If possible. Keep in mind I would Like it to have enough power to supply a future possible upgrade, Possibly another GPU in SLI.

The rest of the computer will be no so important. If you want to give any ideas on what RAM to buy or CD/DVD ROM drives, etc feel welcome to do so.

Altogether I would like to spend around 800-900 Bucks. I know 1000 would be better but 900 is pushing it on my budget. >.<

Thanks for reading, I know it was long, but I need serious help because I want to buy and assemble this ASAP.
Thanks, Juss

juss

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
Well, right now I have 700-800. But I can get another 100 if needed.
So Lets say 850 USD.

Oh yeah, I'm using a 22" Asus LCD monitor.

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
well Im not exactly sure if CAD programs are multithreaded, which would make a difference from a quad core and a dual core...I personally would go with the quad and if the performance REALLY isnt enough for you, you can OC your processor...and speaking of overclocking, your evga sli mobo might pose a problem...Im no intel expert but ive heard that intel mobos oc a lot easier and with better results than nvidia mobos...and if you were to go with an intel mobo, would want to go with a ati card so that you can have the option to have a crossfire setup later on...

these are just some ideas im throwing out there...

enaher

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008

The greatest problem is in OC a 45nm quad thats why nvidia launched the 790 chipset, my opinion you should go with a x38, p45 o x48 mobo, it keeps life simple a good quad and a pair of 4850...

Akebono 98

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Your key issue is whether or not CAD is optimized for quad cores over dual cores. Although I suppose for anything intensive you'd go and use your school's workstations.

I did a quick Google search and it is inconclusive, the most I get is that CAD seems to have some optimization for hyperthreading and dual cores, but most of the stuff that comes up is pretty old (surprising). You need to do some research on this topic if you want to optimize your build on that point.

I would think that for something like CAD, of equal importance is the mathematical calculation part which would rather require highest possible speed between CPU and memory--ergo, overclock. Based on that premise I'd suggest either E7400 (dual) or Q6600 (quad), but I would go with dual core for higher overclock speed for math calculations.

In order to overclock, you will need the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink, corresponding backplate to mount it, and Arctic Cooling MX-2 thermal paste.

For RAM, this is your best value: G.Skill Pi Black 2x2GB DDR2-900.

Go with an Asus P5Q Pro mobo and the Sapphire Radeon 4850 512MB video card so you'll be able to Crossfire later if necessary. If you can fit it into your budget, then go with the Sapphire Radeon 4870 512MB (really more for gaming here... :D ).

Here is a great deal on PSU going on right now: PC Power & Cooling 750W, doubt you could beat this anywhere. However, if you'd like to determine your own power needs, have a look at this power supply calculator and go with PC P&C, Corsair TX Series (VX if you have to), or Antec. Try to build in some margin here to the extent your budget allows.

Hope this helps!

Akebono 98

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Just came across this recent thread about a professional CAD workstation on the P45 platform. Although the poster doesn't mention multithreading in this instance, his choice of the E8500 dual core is informative.

However, and no surprise here, the most striking feature of his configuration is actually the use of a workstation video card, whose key feature is the unified shader architecture. Both the 4850 and 4870 video cards have this architectural feature as well, and it seems to me that 4850/4870 also beat this workstation card on all of the important memory and clock speed parameters.

Therefore, to put the video side of the equation together, along with your budget constraints and Crossfire expansion potential down the road, plus the fact that you are using this platform for mixed gaming and CAD, I would suggest that you start with the 4850 512MB video card as a base because it appears to be sufficient for CAD, and then either a step-up to the 4870 or a larger 1GB video frame buffer being dictated by budget and your individual gaming preferences.

With reference to your original post, the 4850 is comparable to the 9800GTX+, in case you were wondering.