ATI 5850 Temp issue

seanr111

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Hey guys, I recently put a new build together with an Asus EAH5850 DirectCU graphics card. I've been overclocking the thing and while it seems like it's stable the thing is turning into a fireball 2-4 minutes into any stress test. I managed to get it through multiple 3DMark Vantage tests with a top OC of 950 MHz core and 1225 MHz memory with a voltage of 1.25 and it peaked at 85 C. However if I send it through any kind of stability test, I've tried FurMark, MSI Kombuster and GPUTool, it burns up to 95 C and shows no sign of stopping. Even at stock clocks and voltage the thing is getting up to 90-95 C on these tests which I'm fairly certain is not an acceptable temperature. I'm pretty angry because one of the reason I bought the thing was the non-stock cooler on it was supposed to be amazing, but in my case it's barely working. I don't think it's bad airflow, my CPU stays pretty icy, and I have a 120mm side intake fan blowing directly on the thing. It idles at around 42 C.

Here's the exact card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121375&Tpk=asus%20eah5850

My case is a CM 690 II and I set up the fans like this:
1 front 140mm intake fan
1 bottom 140mm intake fan
1 side 120mm in take fan
1 rear 120mm exhaust fan
2 top 140mm exhaust fans

The only reason I can figure for these temps is either I got sold a lemon or the ASUS Xonar Essence sound card right above it is somehow heating it up, but I don't see how because its not blocking the GPU fan at all

Thanks for the help,

Sean

Solution
Your idle is fine but yea those temps are very high. Mine are at 875/1200 and even FurMark extreme burn tests tops out around 80 with 70% fan. Reference model ie: stock fan.
Now, regardless of the burn tests temps, your 3DMark temp is alright for that voltage. Question is, what's the temps in games or game benchmarks? Maybe try downloading the crysis or stalker benchmarks.

IMO if you can RMA it easily do that. If not, you can probably just remove the heat sink and redo the thermal paste. There could definitely just be a mounting issue.
Your idle is fine but yea those temps are very high. Mine are at 875/1200 and even FurMark extreme burn tests tops out around 80 with 70% fan. Reference model ie: stock fan.
Now, regardless of the burn tests temps, your 3DMark temp is alright for that voltage. Question is, what's the temps in games or game benchmarks? Maybe try downloading the crysis or stalker benchmarks.

IMO if you can RMA it easily do that. If not, you can probably just remove the heat sink and redo the thermal paste. There could definitely just be a mounting issue.

Solution

seanr111

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Ya I think I will take a look at the heat sink mount, the weird thing is on any game it never goes above 60 C even on Crysis with 1900x1080 High settings with 8x AA or on any of the Unigine benchmarks, but the stress tests just broil it.