Death and the sims

I needed some tombstones and ghosts for a lot I am constructing and so made
about 15 sims of varying ages and genders and left them on the lot until
they were picked off by the reaper. I noticed that the teens died quickest
and the elders lasted the longest (well into a Sim Wednesday). In the two
batches I made, the Sims entered the lot in the morning on Monday, the teens
began dying early Tuesday, followed by the adults, with the elders lasting
until the next day. Was that a coincidence or are the elders the hardiest
of the lot?
36 answers Last reply
More about death sims

    "Nancy Scott" <nanschellscott@sprintmail.com> wrote in message
    >I needed some tombstones and ghosts for a lot I am constructing and so made
    >about 15 sims of varying ages and genders and left them on the lot until
    >they were picked off by the reaper. I noticed that the teens died quickest
    >and the elders lasted the longest (well into a Sim Wednesday).

    It is going to be very hard for you to keep your fridge stocked on that lot.
    Starved sims take some units of food out when they haunt and with 15 of them
    you might be in for a tough time.

    Gareeth

    "Nancy Scott" <nanschellscott@sprintmail.com> wrote in message
    >I needed some tombstones and ghosts for a lot I am constructing and so made
    >about 15 sims of varying ages and genders and left them on the lot until
    >they were picked off by the reaper. I noticed that the teens died quickest
    >and the elders lasted the longest (well into a Sim Wednesday). In the two
    >batches I made, the Sims entered the lot in the morning on Monday, the
    >teens began dying early Tuesday, followed by the adults, with the elders
    >lasting until the next day. Was that a coincidence or are the elders the
    >hardiest of the lot?
    Oh my life, and they call me bloodthirsty?
    I am afraid I do not know the killing time of individual age groups as I
    dispatch my Sims with speed and efficiency and the help of the user boolprop
    cheat.
    Time to die: about ten seconds on a good day. >8)

    What did you do? Put them in cages?

    Granny Crabapple - boggling.

    Gareeth wrote:
    > "Nancy Scott" <nanschellscott@sprintmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I needed some tombstones and ghosts for a lot I am constructing and so made
    >>about 15 sims of varying ages and genders and left them on the lot until
    >>they were picked off by the reaper. I noticed that the teens died quickest
    >>and the elders lasted the longest (well into a Sim Wednesday).
    >

    > It is going to be very hard for you to keep your fridge stocked on that lot.
    > Starved sims take some units of food out when they haunt and with 15 of them
    > you might be in for a tough time.
    >
    > Gareeth

    Um... They're ghosts. WHY do they raid the fridge?

    If the sim starves to death, their ghost raids the fridge. Just like
    drowned ghosts leave puddles of water, and electrocuted ghosts shock
    themselves.

    That may be interesting. I suppose, I can always move the kitchen to the
    second floor, or is there a better way to kill sims to have tombstones?
    Maybe locking them in a small room and let dirt kill them? Suggestions?

    Nancy Scott wrote:
    > That may be interesting. I suppose, I can always move the kitchen to the
    > second floor, or is there a better way to kill sims to have tombstones?
    > Maybe locking them in a small room and let dirt kill them? Suggestions?
    > "Gareeth" <Gareethnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Nancy Scott" <nanschellscott@sprintmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I needed some tombstones and ghosts for a lot I am constructing and so
    >>>made about 15 sims of varying ages and genders and left them on the lot
    >>>until they were picked off by the reaper. I noticed that the teens died
    >>>quickest and the elders lasted the longest (well into a Sim Wednesday).
    >>
    >>It is going to be very hard for you to keep your fridge stocked on that
    >>lot. Starved sims take some units of food out when they haunt and with 15
    >>of them you might be in for a tough time.
    >>
    >>Gareeth

    You can make them go swimming and then use the "moveobjects on" cheat to
    remove the ladder/s and they will eventually drown when they get too
    tired. I haven't actually tried it yet myself, but I read about it
    somewhere.

    Ali

    "ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > You can make them go swimming and then use the "moveobjects on" cheat to
    > remove the ladder/s and they will eventually drown when they get too
    > tired. I haven't actually tried it yet myself, but I read about it
    > somewhere.

    Drowned ghosts are worse than starved ghosts though. They make a heck of a
    mess. I think death by disease ghosts are fairly easy to have around. Some
    of them even help with the cleaning. You might want to make soem deadly
    viruses. Electrocution works well too. USe the Energizer machine to nearly
    kill your sim and then have have them fix stuff.

    Gareeth

    "Nancy Scott" <nanschellscott@sprintmail.com> wrote in message
    >I needed some tombstones and ghosts for a lot I am constructing and so made
    >about 15 sims of varying ages and genders and left them on the lot until
    >they were picked off by the reaper. I noticed that the teens died quickest
    >and the elders lasted the longest (well into a Sim Wednesday). In the two
    >batches I made, the Sims entered the lot in the morning on Monday, the
    >teens began dying early Tuesday, followed by the adults, with the elders
    >lasting until the next day. Was that a coincidence or are the elders the
    >hardiest of the lot?

    The hunger motive doesn't work the same for those age groups. Teens' hunger
    motive empties out faster than adults', which in turn empties faster than
    elders, so teens will starve before adults, who will starve before elders.

    If there was a way to die that involved peeing all over yourself, you'd find
    that elders would drop off way before teens or adults using that method.

    I know that traits like a sim's active score affects their hunger motive as
    well, but I don't think it makes anywhere near the difference the lifestage
    does.

    > "ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> You can make them go swimming and then use the "moveobjects on" cheat to
    >> remove the ladder/s and they will eventually drown when they get too
    >> tired. I haven't actually tried it yet myself, but I read about it
    >> somewhere.
    >
    > Drowned ghosts are worse than starved ghosts though. They make a heck of a
    > mess.

    Seconded. Drowned ghosts leave puddles all over the place and by my count
    one night of haunting left over 35 puddles on the lot. When the puddle
    occurs indoors, it's considered a mess, with its regular effect on the room
    environment score. When it occurs outside, weeds grow where the puddle was
    formed. It's an incredible pain should you be setting up the lot to play
    straight one day.

    I think death by disease ghosts are fairly easy to have around. Some
    > of them even help with the cleaning. You might want to make soem deadly
    > viruses. Electrocution works well too. USe the Energizer machine to
    > nearly kill your sim and then have have them fix stuff.

    I haven't seen anything particularly awful coming from Death-by-flies
    ghosts, although I haven't seen them help with the cleaning. (Perhaps they
    would, though, seeing as how avoiding that behavior was what got them killed
    in the first place) They do complain every now and then, though. Sims who
    died by fire don't show any problems beyond being rather surly.

    Haven't killed one with a satellite. I'll have to try to get that, although
    my one remaining doomed to die sim has managed to avoid electrocution,
    disease and fly swarm, and has proven so resilient that I'm now actually
    pulling for him (that and he's given birth to an alien daughter and has
    shown himself to be a loving single Dad). It'd be a shame to kill him
    deliberately now.

    Drowning is a possibility. I forgot that. Do you think it would work if
    I locked a bunch of them with a fridge, but no sanitation and see if disease
    took them? Any better ideas? Variety in death would be nice, but I don't
    think I want to mess about with the cheats.

    Nancy Scott wrote:
    > Drowning is a possibility. I forgot that. Do you think it would work if
    > I locked a bunch of them with a fridge, but no sanitation and see if disease
    > took them? Any better ideas? Variety in death would be nice, but I don't
    > think I want to mess about with the cheats.
    > "Admiral DanielSBen" <Admiral_DanielSBen@excite.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>If the sim starves to death, their ghost raids the fridge. Just like
    >>drowned ghosts leave puddles of water, and electrocuted ghosts shock
    >>themselves.

    You could make them eat food that's gone bad. They can get sick from
    that too. Then don't let them rest and they'll die from disease.

    Ali

    "ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > You can make them go swimming and then use the "moveobjects on" cheat to
    > remove the ladder/s and they will eventually drown when they get too
    > tired. I haven't actually tried it yet myself, but I read about it
    > somewhere.
    >
    > Ali

    Tut! No style. With a bit of crafty user-cheat manipulation of the sliders
    you can have them do a dive and be dead before they hit the water.
    Now that has class! 8))))

    And how about having someone starve to death while sitting on the toilet?
    Just keep them weeing... and on, and on, and on.... Which will be the most
    urgent need, to empty the bladder, take in food or sleep? Sure as hell
    wouldn't be 'meet someone new.'
    I must try it sometime.

    Granny, the sweet and kind.

    > Drowning is a possibility. I forgot that. Do you think it would work
    > if I locked a bunch of them with a fridge, but no sanitation and see if
    > disease took them? Any better ideas? Variety in death would be nice, but
    > I don't think I want to mess about with the cheats.

    Then your poor Sims will die slowly and painfully and I hope they haunt your
    dreams.
    At least let them go out quickly, like in a blaze of glory.

    Quickest without cheats must be the 'watch clouds' option.
    One second finding faces in the sky, the next, SPLAT! Gone.
    Almost kind....

    Granny. 8)

    Admiral DanielSBen wrote:
    > If the sim starves to death, their ghost raids the fridge. Just like
    > drowned ghosts leave puddles of water, and electrocuted ghosts shock
    > themselves.

    Mine never actually take anything out of the fridge, athough the Prima
    guide said they would. They just open it up and poke around in
    there as though it were empty. I'd love to see them take out the
    five trays of food the Prima guide said they would, even though it
    would be a pain to deal with.

    Laura

    > "ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> You can make them go swimming and then use the "moveobjects on" cheat to
    >> remove the ladder/s and they will eventually drown when they get too
    >> tired. I haven't actually tried it yet myself, but I read about it
    >> somewhere.
    >
    > Drowned ghosts are worse than starved ghosts though. They make a heck of a
    > mess. I think death by disease ghosts are fairly easy to have around. Some
    > of them even help with the cleaning.

    What ? !!!!

    You might want to make soem deadly
    > viruses.

    I have never worked out how to do this. My Sims make virii (whoo, get her!)
    but nobody else has come along and eaten them up. Do they have to be sick,
    first?

    Granny.

    "Granny Crabapple" <plumjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > I have never worked out how to do this. My Sims make virii (whoo, get
    > her!) but nobody else has come along and eaten them up. Do they have to be
    > sick, first?

    Well they should be able to catch it from the Sim who made it and then you
    can just rest up the Sims you actually like.

    Gareeth

    You don't see it. But the fridge does get emptier.

    MM

    > "Granny Crabapple" <plumjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >> I have never worked out how to do this. My Sims make virii (whoo, get
    >> her!) but nobody else has come along and eaten them up. Do they have to
    >> be sick, first?
    >>
    > Well they should be able to catch it from the Sim who made it and then you
    > can just rest up the Sims you actually like.

    Err catch what??? You will have to start at the begining. My Sim makes a
    virus, puts it on the side and has no other options, just leave it there
    or.. I think I had delete/flog it to the masses, or something.

    So what do I have to do to use a virus or medicine? I get fed up of trying
    to do anything other than sell them.

    Granny.

    Madame Mim wrote:
    > You don't see it. But the fridge does get emptier.
    >
    > MM
    >

    > "Laura Castellano" <laurita_castellano@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Admiral DanielSBen wrote:
    >>
    >>>If the sim starves to death, their ghost raids the fridge. Just like
    >>>drowned ghosts leave puddles of water, and electrocuted ghosts shock
    >>>themselves.
    >>>

    >>Mine never actually take anything out of the fridge, athough the Prima
    >>guide said they would. They just open it up and poke around in
    >>there as though it were empty. I'd love to see them take out the
    >>five trays of food the Prima guide said they would, even though it
    >>would be a pain to deal with.
    >>
    >>Laura

    Ah, ok, that makes sense--I just never thought to check!

    Laura

    > Err catch what??? You will have to start at the begining. My Sim makes a
    > virus, puts it on the side and has no other options, just leave it there
    > or.. I think I had delete/flog it to the masses, or something.
    >
    > So what do I have to do to use a virus or medicine? I get fed up of trying
    > to do anything other than sell them.

    Sometimes when you make a virus or a medicine the Sim making it comes down
    with a horrible mystery illness.

    Gareeth

    > "Granny Crabapple" <plumjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >> I have never worked out how to do this. My Sims make virii (whoo, get
    >> her!) but nobody else has come along and eaten them up. Do they have to
    >> be sick, first?
    >>
    > Well they should be able to catch it from the Sim who made it and then you
    > can just rest up the Sims you actually like.

    No, no, I meant... Just a minute, does the very act of making a virus infect
    a Sim?
    I have made them and nothing at all was offered or happened.

    And I have been informed, jeeringly, that virii is wrong, and pretentious.
    Well, that's told me. 8(

    Granny.

    "Granny Crabapple" <marrowjam@[really wild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:HULNd.9386$8B3.6492@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

    > No, no, I meant... Just a minute, does the very act of making a virus
    > infect a Sim?
    > I have made them and nothing at all was offered or happened.

    It's random. I seem to have them get they mystery illness quite a bit even
    when making medicines. I have my fortune sims make medicine a lot though and
    sometimes just for kicks viruses.

    Gareeth

    Miriam Webster Online

    Main Entry: vi·rus
    Pronunciation: 'vI-r&s
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Latin, venom, poisonous emanation; akin to Greek ios poison,
    Sanskrit visa; in senses 2 & 4, from New Latin, from Latin
    1 archaic : VENOM 1
    2 a : the causative agent of an infectious disease b : any of a large group
    of submicroscopic infective agents that are regarded either as extremely
    simple microorganisms or as extremely complex molecules, that typically
    contain a protein coat surrounding an RNA or DNA core of genetic material
    but no semipermeable membrane, that are capable of growth and multiplication
    only in living cells, and that cause various important diseases in humans,
    lower animals, or plants; also : FILTERABLE VIRUS c : a disease caused by a
    virus
    3 : something that poisons the mind or soul <the force of this virus of
    prejudice -- V. S. Waters>
    4 : a computer program usually hidden within another seemingly innocuous
    program that produces copies of itself and inserts them into other programs
    and that usually performs a malicious action (as destroying data)

    If it's latin the plural has to be virii - only the English use the same
    word for one and many of something - sheep.

    MM

    > If it's latin the plural has to be virii - only the English use the same
    > word for one and many of something - sheep.
    >
    > MM

    You really do not want to get involved in this argument. I was battered with
    declinations. I then had the Big Oxford Dictionary thrown at me.
    If you look it up in etymology some sites have Latin pundits arguing about
    it like mad. They approve of virus, as both sing and plural. Viruses, if you
    are pushed. Virii... 8(((( Only if you can prove it is used in something
    like a second declination of past history with bells on and the moon is
    full.

    By the way... The son is picking up my Athlon Inside at eight tomorrow
    morning.
    This is sensible, as he can poke about and download any BIOS flashes without
    having to keep changing boards round every five minutes.

    I have also been told off for not refering to the BIOS as 'software'. And
    tutted at for .. He asked 'did you change your jumper?'
    'No,' I told him. 'I wouldn't risk fiddling with the hardware if....'
    'Breaking the habit of a lifetime, huh?'

    I really, really, really think I have had enough of people telling me I am a
    nincompoop for today.
    So I might be gone for some time. Especially as he is off to Sheffield on
    Wednesday. Perhaps it will all be done and back here by tomorrow night?

    Yes, I know, I am a nincompoop. 8(((

    Granny.

    Madame Mim wrote:

    > Miriam Webster Online
    >
    > Main Entry: vi·rus
    > Pronunciation: 'vI-r&s
    > Function: noun
    > Etymology: Latin, venom, poisonous emanation; akin to Greek ios poison,
    > Sanskrit visa; in senses 2 & 4, from New Latin, from Latin
    > 1 archaic : VENOM 1
    > 2 a : the causative agent of an infectious disease b : any of a large group
    > of submicroscopic infective agents that are regarded either as extremely
    > simple microorganisms or as extremely complex molecules, that typically
    > contain a protein coat surrounding an RNA or DNA core of genetic material
    > but no semipermeable membrane, that are capable of growth and multiplication
    > only in living cells, and that cause various important diseases in humans,
    > lower animals, or plants; also : FILTERABLE VIRUS c : a disease caused by a
    > virus
    > 3 : something that poisons the mind or soul <the force of this virus of
    > prejudice -- V. S. Waters>
    > 4 : a computer program usually hidden within another seemingly innocuous
    > program that produces copies of itself and inserts them into other programs
    > and that usually performs a malicious action (as destroying data)
    >

    > If it's latin the plural has to be virii - only the English use the same
    > word for one and many of something - sheep.
    >
    > MM

    The other one is "moose" - unlike goose, the plural of moose is still moose.

    According to Bartleby, however, the plural of virus is now viruses.
    http://www.bartleby.com/61/81/V0118100.html

    -georg

    <snip>

    > If it's latin the plural has to be virii - only the English use the same
    > word for one and many of something - sheep.

    Surely the plural would be virii only if the original word was virius,
    and it was Greek?

    CK

    Reply to him that, technically, a BIOS is firmware.

    ;')

    I don't know about you Granny, but anyone who's answer to your original
    problem was to straight away format the HD isn't going to win any MENSA
    awards in my book. The formatting of a HD is something you do when you admit
    to yourself that the problem is beyond your solving. I know people who
    format HD's in response to virus (see I took your advice) infections because
    they are too cheap or lazy to get the proper software to protect their
    machines. I have only once had to format a system due to the problem being
    beyond me, and that was when networking WinXP with Win98 played havoc with
    the 98 OS

    MM

    "Granny Crabapple" <marrowjam@[really wild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:W2RNd.9623$8B3.1716@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

    > "Madame Mim" <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >

    > > If it's latin the plural has to be virii - only the English use the same
    > > word for one and many of something - sheep.
    > >
    > > MM
    > >
    > You really do not want to get involved in this argument. I was battered
    with
    > declinations. I then had the Big Oxford Dictionary thrown at me.
    > If you look it up in etymology some sites have Latin pundits arguing about
    > it like mad. They approve of virus, as both sing and plural. Viruses, if
    you
    > are pushed. Virii... 8(((( Only if you can prove it is used in something
    > like a second declination of past history with bells on and the moon is
    > full.
    >
    > By the way... The son is picking up my Athlon Inside at eight tomorrow
    > morning.
    > This is sensible, as he can poke about and download any BIOS flashes
    without
    > having to keep changing boards round every five minutes.
    >
    > I have also been told off for not refering to the BIOS as 'software'. And
    > tutted at for .. He asked 'did you change your jumper?'
    > 'No,' I told him. 'I wouldn't risk fiddling with the hardware if....'
    > 'Breaking the habit of a lifetime, huh?'
    >
    > I really, really, really think I have had enough of people telling me I am
    > nincompoop for today.
    > So I might be gone for some time. Especially as he is off to Sheffield on
    > Wednesday. Perhaps it will all be done and back here by tomorrow night?
    >
    > Yes, I know, I am a nincompoop. 8(((
    >
    > Granny.

    That is the best and most concise argument I've ever seen for this
    discussion (except for the Greek part, which I consider unnecessary).

    Virus or Viri, but not Virii - something to think on in any case.

    MM

    > That is the best and most concise argument I've ever seen for this
    > discussion (except for the Greek part, which I consider unnecessary).
    >
    > Virus or Viri, but not Virii - something to think on in any case.

    I saw an explanation of why it is viruses and not virii somewhere but now I
    don't remember the explanation. If I remember correctly it had something to
    do with the case though.

    Gareeth

    Okay here is an explanation.

    http://www.linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/plural-of-virus.html

    Gareeth

    Granny Crabapple wrote:
    > "Madame Mim" <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >

    >>If it's latin the plural has to be virii - only the English use the same
    >>word for one and many of something - sheep.
    >>
    >>MM
    >>

    > You really do not want to get involved in this argument. I was battered with
    > declinations. I then had the Big Oxford Dictionary thrown at me.
    > If you look it up in etymology some sites have Latin pundits arguing about
    > it like mad. They approve of virus, as both sing and plural. Viruses, if you
    > are pushed. Virii... 8(((( Only if you can prove it is used in something
    > like a second declination of past history with bells on and the moon is
    > full.
    >
    > By the way... The son is picking up my Athlon Inside at eight tomorrow
    > morning.
    > This is sensible, as he can poke about and download any BIOS flashes without
    > having to keep changing boards round every five minutes.
    >
    > I have also been told off for not refering to the BIOS as 'software'. And
    > tutted at for .. He asked 'did you change your jumper?'
    > 'No,' I told him. 'I wouldn't risk fiddling with the hardware if....'
    > 'Breaking the habit of a lifetime, huh?'
    >
    > I really, really, really think I have had enough of people telling me I am a
    > nincompoop for today.
    > So I might be gone for some time. Especially as he is off to Sheffield on
    > Wednesday. Perhaps it will all be done and back here by tomorrow night?
    >
    > Yes, I know, I am a nincompoop. 8(((
    >
    > Granny.

    Granny,
    My hubby works with computers and he says that the BIOS is not software.
    He said it's called firmware. So you can tut that right back at your
    son the next time you talk to him ;)

    Ali

    "Granny Crabapple" <marrowjam@[really wild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:HULNd.9386$8B3.6492@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
    > And I have been informed, jeeringly, that virii is wrong, and pretentious.
    > Well, that's told me. 8(

    Actually "virii" is wrong - you have an extra "i" in there. The "us" ending
    turns in to an "i" to make it a plural. Only words such as "radius" that
    already have one "i" would have a double-i plural like "radii".

    However, the OED doesn't recognize "viri" as the plural of virus anyway, so
    it's generally better to use "viruses".

    > Miriam Webster Online
    >
    > Main Entry: vi·rus
    > Pronunciation: 'vI-r&s
    > Function: noun
    > Etymology: Latin, venom, poisonous emanation; akin to Greek ios poison,
    > Sanskrit visa; in senses 2 & 4, from New Latin, from Latin
    > 1 archaic : VENOM 1
    > 2 a : the causative agent of an infectious disease b : any of a large
    > group
    > of submicroscopic infective agents that are regarded either as extremely
    > simple microorganisms or as extremely complex molecules, that typically
    > contain a protein coat surrounding an RNA or DNA core of genetic material
    > but no semipermeable membrane, that are capable of growth and
    > multiplication
    > only in living cells, and that cause various important diseases in humans,
    > lower animals, or plants; also : FILTERABLE VIRUS c : a disease caused by
    > virus
    > 3 : something that poisons the mind or soul <the force of this virus of
    > prejudice -- V. S. Waters>
    > 4 : a computer program usually hidden within another seemingly innocuous
    > program that produces copies of itself and inserts them into other
    > programs
    > and that usually performs a malicious action (as destroying data)
    >

    > If it's latin the plural has to be virii - only the English use the same
    > word for one and many of something - sheep.

    Not all latin "us" words pluralize to "i". For example, "genus" becomes
    "genera".
    Plus, by making it "virii", you're adding an extra "i" - "viri" would be
    more likely to be proper. Only words like "radius" that already have an "i"
    before the "us" become double-i plurals:

    radi-us --> radi-i = radii
    vir-us --> vir-i = viri

    Using virii as the plural implies that the singular would be "virius".

    However, there is no such word as "viri" or "virii". The Oxford English
    Dictionary, gives "viruses" as the plural. The OED is THE definitive
    dictionary. Sorry, but Merriam-Webster (not Miriam Webster) is nowhere near
    as authoritative as the OED. Besides, it doesn't matter what the dictionary
    says the history of a word it - but what it says the current usage is. You
    didn't specify what Merriam-Webster says the proper form of the plural is
    (if they say at all).

    > Reply to him that, technically, a BIOS is firmware.
    >
    > ;')

    I will! I will!!!

    As you can see. I am up and running and fully Radeoned up to my eyeballs.
    How? Latest BIOS download, and, thanks to your boss' suggestion, Radeon
    download, and no problems at all when you have a second computer and a
    broadband connection.

    Tested last night with Sims, and everything hunky-dory. Though... at the
    start i was disturbed by the game 'feeling' slower than before.
    Of course it was! This time I had all the graphics setting turned up to
    highest quality. Altered setting to my liking and oh, the picture is
    nice... Understatement.
    I had no idea that pale moderinsh sofa had a pattern on it before. 8( I
    thought it was leather 8(((

    MojoWorld more difficult to assess. Complicated and texture-hungry fractal
    mountains and colours diabolically slow before, so a difference in slowness
    isn't really obvious. Though preview pane updates and beautiful in the blink
    of an eye.
    Will have to do the test-render, thingy. Took me about 25 mins on my Win98
    computer. 9 mins with the Nvidia card.

    > I don't know about you Granny, but anyone who's answer to your original
    > problem was to straight away format the HD isn't going to win any MENSA
    > awards in my book. The formatting of a HD is something you do when you
    admit
    > to yourself that the problem is beyond your solving. I know people who
    > format HD's in response to virus (see I took your advice) infections
    because
    > they are too cheap or lazy to get the proper software to protect their
    > machines. I have only once had to format a system due to the problem being
    > beyond me, and that was when networking WinXP with Win98 played havoc with
    > the 98 OS
    >
    > MM

    Yes, this might be a old habit I can now drop since getting XP. I certainly
    didn't reformat to solve a minor problem but I did reformat on a regular
    basis in the past. This was after reading a post, or web reply by an unnamed
    Microsaft worker who said thanks to windows (pre XP) a yearly reformat was
    very advisable. Being as I have a tidyish mind, but not body, I approved.
    DOS was my friend. 8) And Fdisk my sleeping partner. Even though i probably
    won't need to do this any more I was very relieved to find FreeDOS on my
    mboard boot disk. Nice to know it is there - just in case.

    Baw, this Times font is tiny. Must change.

    As for people who use reformat as a virus check.. Blimey!!!!
    I have just spent last hour or so feeding in the firewalls and the
    adblockers, the virus checkit, and smack, the adaware watcher, the ..
    something else.. and then updates for them all, so make coffee, sit back and
    stare out the window at grey clouds and damp looking roofs.

    One thing might amuse you, or not, if you deal with the howling public every
    day and know how dim we can be.
    I install peripherals one at a time. First thing this morning it was time
    for the modem. Very important. Remember I have done this three dyas ago and
    two days ago and the same thing happened each time. I am dim.
    Modem into USB port. 'Found new Hardware! Please tell me what to do!'
    I did. I told it to install the modem and waved the CD about. It didn;t like
    it. It hated the CD. I told it again... and again... and agai... No,
    wait.....
    Veronica, what is that little toggle-connector thing halfway down your USB
    cable... You know, the thing between the computer and the modem? The thing
    you completely ignore?

    It's the Serial/USB interface. 8(( Install. Happy computer. Look, it has
    found a modem! Install. Happy computer. Blushing Granny.

    I am contantly surprised that I don;t get up one morning and find the
    computer has pulled out its cables overnight and gone off to find a more
    intelligent owner.

    Granny Crabapple

    I swear mine sometimes develops an error just to go and visit David. There's
    been at least two occasions when I've taken it to see him and nothing has
    been wrong when I got there!

    MM

    > I swear mine sometimes develops an error just to go and visit David.
    There's
    > been at least two occasions when I've taken it to see him and nothing has
    > been wrong when I got there!

    Ahhh, yes. I had a RISC PC that did that. A pest because the nearest
    sort-out shop is the other side of Brum. We would haul the beast all the way
    over there and tell my tale of woe and.. It worked perfectly.
    I bring it back, switch on. Crash.
    We changed cables, wall power points, tried all sorts. Never did dig up the
    road outside though. In the end one day it just started behaving. Never did
    work out what was wrong. They all blamed me.

    So that's what was causing it, eh? It was lonely for another RISC computer?
    I am 'sure' washing machine and TV manufacturers put a special widget inside
    that causes the machine to fail a week after the warranty runs out; perhaps
    the people who mooch about inside our computer cases feed in a little bit of
    code?

    Granny - I say, the Sims screen isn't half dark.... 8(
    I am loathe to keep boosting up desktop brightness but I have done that for
    the moment. But once I set my Adobe gamma thing, I think I might be in
    trouble.

    I am still finding more and more textures on things I thought were one
    colour. Latest was the rather nice plain cream bed covers I favoured. The
    counterpane has an embossed design on it now. Booo!

    Granny.

Sims Games Video Games