Sign in with
Your question

Hdd choice

Last response: in Storage
June 23, 2010 7:01:51 PM

Put simply, I want to get a new hdd and I'm not sure what to get. So this should be easy garden variety answer for you guys.

Basically I'm locked between WD black and f3. I surfed around, but I couldn't find- or understand what I did find- which one is better- or if the answer can be put that simply?

Right now I have WD 6400 aaks, and I'm fairly happy with it. I need more storage room, but I wouldn't mind more speed since I'm getting a new hdd.

So, aside from the obvious which hdd should I choose, I'm curious just how faster, if any, is 6400faals vs 6400aaks, or wd black vs blue in general. From what I read a year ago- 32mb cache has insignificant advantage (if any) over 16mb, but other than that, I see no difference in modern blue and black wds.

Also, as you could see, I'm leaning toward 640gb model range, but I wouldn't oppose higher capacity models if they are faster- more so, if the speed difference was significant.

Thank you.

More about : hdd choice

a b G Storage
June 24, 2010 2:19:52 AM

+1 for the samsung.. The side recommendation would be to get two seagate 7200.12 500 GB drives and put them in a raid 0 setup..
June 24, 2010 2:30:57 PM

Thank you both for your replies. The idea of 2x raid 0 drive intrigued me. I totally didnt even consider that option.

Quote:
Faster and more capacity over either of the WD 640GB Black or Blue drives (plus same price as the cheapest WD 640GB Blue).

I probably could have mentioned that I'm in Serbia and samsung models are harder to find plus 10% more expensive than WD at least as the result. SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB that was linked at newegg sellig for 70$ is 77eu here (Google translated that to 95$). So their speed is going to have to be their only reason for recommendation as price per GB is not really in their favor. I'd get one over newegg but price of shipping alone would quadruple that price.... or so I imagine.

I can get 2x wd 6400aaks (640gb blue) for 10% more than one F3 1tb. I'm guessing that raid 0 is hands down faster, and its obvious that it has more storage too.

This leads me to: is raid 0 worth it? Should I just stick with 1tb f3 instead? I mean the problems that go with raid 0 are kinda scary- one hdd fails so both fail- Its not like I don't like my data- so how likely is that raid 0 brakes down?
!