Sign in with
Your question

Want an SLi Compatible PSU for Dell dimension 9200

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2009 12:28:24 PM

Hi Guys, Sorry if I am posting in the wrong place. I have been wanting to upgrade to my PC to mid-high range gaming standards.

I have a Dell Dimension 9200 (XPS 410 pretty much) with 4gb Ram, intel core 2 duo 2.66ghz. I believe this might have been discussed before and I do apologise if this is the case but I need some advice. I want to upgrade the standard nvidia 7900gs to a 9800gtx. My power supply is 375w (according to people on here, dell rate their psu different and its actually 425w-450w). I could get the 9800gt but I want the GTX. Now I know I need to upgrade my PSU, dell psu are very hard to replace. I have found 1 thats a 580w at maplin but unless I buy it, i can't tell if it will fit and function like the old unit.

here's the one I have been looking at http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223827

it caught my eye and is really cheap. Anyone know of this product or the company that makes it? also will this bolt straight in and work on my dell?

If all is good, then I will buy this straight away along with my Graphics Card.

Thanks in advance for your advice guys, much appreciated.
January 23, 2009 3:27:39 PM

Its really hard to say. Dell uses some screwed up stuff in their PCs sometimes. Is your board an ATX or a BTX? If its an ATX it will not be hard, Id just replace the case and the PSU with decent units. You may also want to consider buying an ATI 4850, which will draw less power than the 9800 GTX+ but give roughly the same performance and shoudl run off a 375 watt PSU.
January 23, 2009 7:53:28 PM

Kaldor said:
Its really hard to say. Dell uses some screwed up stuff in their PCs sometimes. Is your board an ATX or a BTX? If its an ATX it will not be hard, Id just replace the case and the PSU with decent units. You may also want to consider buying an ATI 4850, which will draw less power than the 9800 GTX+ but give roughly the same performance and shoudl run off a 375 watt PSU.

Thanks for the reply Kaldor. Its a BTX i think, pretty sure it uses the Balance Technology. I was thinking about the 4850, verry attractive price and performance wise, the only this thing that drew me towards the 9800 was the physX system. However, I think Nvidia have released or will release a patch for other manufacturers to apply physX on.

I think the 4850 should be great, the recomended wattage is 450w or greater which means I will almost certainly need to upgrade my PSU to get the full fat flavour from the card if I was to use higher settings.

Unless anyone else has simular setup?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2009 9:38:53 PM

You can use almost any standard ATX power supply, nothing over 175mm in length.
I wouldn't recommend the XPower, it's low end junk.
The 375 watt/ 30 amp stock psu is fine for a 9800 GTX or ATI 4850, both use less power than the 8800 GTX that was sold with the D9200/ XPS410.
January 23, 2009 10:02:22 PM

Oh right, I think in that case, I would be better off with a 4850 with my std PSU. I think I will go ahead and buy an ATI 4850. Thing is there are so many variety's to choose from, I was looking at the Saphire version. This has had alot of good reviews. 1st thing would do is buy a really graphicaly intense game to try out a before and after comparison, fps etc..

as it is, I have a 7900gs which came standard with the machine. Its not a bad graphics card, its getting on a bit now and I only recently thought about upgrading after trying to play GRID on high level graphics and EVERYTHING lagged. Loaded up quick enough (4gb ram).

People mention Crysis and how this game sorts out the men from the boys in graphics card terms. Although people say only Nvidia cards with PhysX will be able to experience the game in its glory, the 4850 is level pegging with the 9800GTX with this game, it pretty much pwns the other mid range cards in every other game.

Never had an ATI card before, always been Nvidia brand loyal since ditching my Voodoo 3 3dfx.

Thanks for your reply DellUser1.
!