First try at building my own PC

Veesofnaught

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
This will be my first build and I still have the chance to send stuff to Newegg if any of you have suggestions.

CPU: Intel Quad Core Q6600
Motherboard: Asus P5QL Pro
GPU: Nvidia 9800 GTX
PSU: HEC 585W ATX12V
RAM: GSkill 4 GB DDR2 1066
HDD: Western Digital 160 GB 7200 RPM
Sony NEC Optiarc SATA DVD/CD Burner
Case: Rosewill Mid-Tower

I'm not sure if I could have done better in getting more bang for my buck, but I am not really a "hardcore" gamer. I will be playing some games and doing some video converting/editing, and a lot of work in photoshop, which is why I opted for the Quad Core. Also, I chose a small internal HDD because I have a 1TB external Hard Drive and I don't think I'll be hurting for storage for awhile. Any recommendations before my return policies are up and do you think I'll have cooling problems if I just use the stock fans that come with the components?

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
i'd say ditch the 9800 GTX and go with a 4850 or perhaps a 4870 if $$$ permits... the 9800 GTX is old-ish technology, the 4850/70 is newer and will perform much better at higher resolutions...

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
external hdd's are ridiculously slow compared to internals (depending on which connection you use, at best you'll get "decent" with eSATA). I'd go for a 500-640gig for 50-65$.

For the ram, you should downgrade to ddr2-800 since you can save some money on it and not affect your performances.

As for the PSU, I am not familiar with this brand so I cannot tell you much about the quality and reliability of that product. If it actually produces 550-600w @ peak, then you are fine.

For the video card, you might be better served with an hd4850.

Finally, if you want to afford the pricier video card, you should downgrade vista to home premium (there's very few features that are actually worth it in ultimate vs premium and they are mostly for power users).

HEC PSU's have a pretty bad reputation. I'd swap out the PSU for a quality unit from Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, etc... The PSU is the one component you don't want to try to save a buck on. If it goes out, there's a pretty good chance it will take out other hardware also.

I agree with the DDR2 800, 640GB HD, and Vista Home Premium suggestions.

zedx

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
For the case and PSU, I would recommend something more reliable, like an Antec Sonata III. It's ONLY $100 at newegg and includes a 500w earthwatts PSU. As for the GPU, if you're not that big of a gamer buy sommething simpler like an hd4830/ 4670 or the hd 4850. Buy DDR2 800. You may want to buy a higher clocked CPU(until of course you're overclocking). (You should have waited for Phenom II, it might just be good.

Remember, don't save much money on options like case, PSU, monitor, Tablet etc as you can retain them in your next build also.

Veesofnaught

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
i'd say ditch the 9800 GTX and go with a 4850 or perhaps a 4870 if $$$ permits... the 9800 GTX is old-ish technology, the 4850/70 is newer and will perform much better at higher resolutions...

I wanted to, but I got the 9800 GTX for $119. The best I can find for a decent 4850 is $180 and that pushed me out of budget.

external hdd's are ridiculously slow compared to internals (depending on which connection you use, at best you'll get "decent" with eSATA). I'd go for a 500-640gig for 50-65$.

This is a great idea and I think I'll just add another drive down the road. My external is used just to store files like family videos and photos. I don't move things on and off very often.

For the ram, you should downgrade to ddr2-800 since you can save some money on it and not affect your performances.

It was only a difference of like $10 between the 800 and 1600 so I opted for the 1600. I didn't know it didn't make that much of a difference.

Finally, if you want to afford the pricier video card, you should downgrade vista to home premium (there's very few features that are actually worth it in ultimate vs premium and they are mostly for power users).

I am getting Vista Ultimate for free from a friend. He has one more install left on his disc. :D

HEC PSU's have a pretty bad reputation. I'd swap out the PSU for a quality unit from Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, etc... The PSU is the one component you don't want to try to save a buck on. If it goes out, there's a pretty good chance it will take out other hardware also.

I actually had no idea that could happen! :( I'll take a look at some other PSU's. If the PSU goes out and takes other parts with it, will the company that made the faulty PSU replace the components?