pavocristatus

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Hope this is in the right place...

Today I started my first build (my case hasn't arrived yet so it's sat on the bag the motherboard came in and the box too). Everything seems fine exept there's no video output, no beep and therefore I presume it doesn't post. As is said in many other posts: the fans are spinning but there's nothing on the screen. I've checked the VGA connection incase I'd not plugged it in properly but there's nothing wrong with it; the monitor 'knows' that it's plugged in but displays a black screen and the words "no video input".

People have suggested in other threads to other people that it could the the RAM or the PSU. So I ran it with just the CPU, motherboard, PSU, cooler and graphics card but there was still the same message on the screen.

On the back of the motherboard there's a little panel for debugging. It reads 'FF' which I found in the manual to mean: "Power on and first initialize CPU". Whether this has anything to do with it I don't know (I'm a relative noob at system building and do't even know what that means :p) Checked the pins on the CPU socket just incase i'd messed up the CPU instal and none of them are bent or damaged, the cpu looks in good order too.

Specs:

XFX 750i Motherboard
Intel E8500
2GB Corsair DDR2 TWINX (PC2-6400)
Xigmatek NRP-851 (850W)
WD Caviar blue 320GB (SATA II)
Sony DRU-190S
ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 premium
Inno3D 7300 GT (only it using until my 9800 GTX+ arrives)

I wondered if it could be anything to do with the 7300 GT but I can't check right now as I don't have integrateed graphics or another graphics card.

+1

The CPU power connector is located near the CPU socket. It's an 8-pin plug with a cover over 4 pins. You can either use a 4-pin power connector or remove the cover and use an 8-pin connector.

pavocristatus

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Yes they're both in and always have been in. The 8 pin is modular, gave it a bit more of a push but doesn't change anything. I just took out the 8 pin and tried the 4 pin but still nothing on the screen and the heatpipes are cold as they used to be.

So could it be a faulty PSU?

The modular 8-pin connector is for a GPU (PCIe), not the CPU. I hope you didn't fry something using that connector. Did you read the manual that came with your PSU? The 4-pin CPU power connector is not modular, it's connected directly to the PSU. There's an extra 4-pin CPU power connector that is modular that I believe can be added to the direct 4-pin plug, but you'll have to check your manual for that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=17-815-002-11.jpg&Image=17-815-002-13.jpg%2c17-815-002-07.jpg%2c17-815-002-08.jpg%2c17-815-002-09.jpg%2c17-815-002-10.jpg%2c17-815-002-11.jpg%2c17-815-002-12.jpg%2c17-815-002-02.jpg%2c17-815-002-03.jpg%2c17-815-002-04.jpg%2c17-815-002-05.jpg&S7ImageFlag=0&WaterMark=1&Item=N82E16817815002&Depa=0&Description=XIGMATEK%20MC%20NRP-MC751%20750W%20Power%20Supply

Have you tried booting with just one stick of RAM installed?

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008

Not all power supplys have the 8 pin CPU power connector hooked directly to the PSU. My Thermatake Tough Power has a modular plug in cable for the CPU. On this cable the 8 pin end can be seperated into two 4 pin connectors. Also all the modular cables on this supply are clearly tagged for there use. In fact this power supply has one cable connected directly to the PSU for the PCIe connection. So there can be differences between manufactures. Also I do think the shape of the individual wire connectors on the CPU and PCIe plugs are different, not absolutly sure without looking but I believe so.

I said that the CPU power connector is plugged directly into the PSU because I looked up a picture of the PSU and it shows the CPU power connector directly connected. That's why I posted the link to the picture. You think I don't know that different PSU manufacturers bundle wires differently?

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008

Oh my I'm so sorry I didn't take the time to look up the actual PSU. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.

But he still has a problem someplace.

pavocristatus

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
There's a hard wired 4 pin and a modular 8 pin, what Newegg's photo shows as an 8 pin PCIe is the 8 pin CPU power and the modular 4 pin CPU power is infact a 6 pin PCIe.

I've tried with just one stick, with just the other and with none and in different slots too. With all there's no difference. Even tried with some from my last PC and didn't change a thing.

I have an eVGA 680i motherboard in one of my computers. I am on vacation right now so I do not have access to my computers.

First, does your motherboard have the beeper built into the motherboard? Does it have builtin power and reset switches?

Look at the LED hex display. When you turn on the computer, what happens? If XFX sticks close to the nVidia reference design like eVGA, as the computer POST's, the display should flicker past a lot of numbers, reach "7F", pause for a moment, then reach "FF".

If it is doing that, your problem is probably the video card. The POST will test the computer to video interface on the video card. If that fails, it will generate one long and three short beeps. The computer, however, has no way to check the rest of the video card. That's up to the Mark I eyeball.

What troubles me is the combination of no beep with the "FF" display.

pavocristatus

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
The power and reset are just the headers, to turn it on an off I have to short them with a screwdriver.

Actually I don't think it has a speaker, are they generally wide(ish), black cylidrical things with a small hole in the top? Compared to googled images that's what something on the PC I'm currently confined to has, and that definatly has a speaker (you can hear it from the other side of the house). The 750 doesn't have anything that looks remotely like that though.

When I start the power the display goes straight to "FF". No flickering just F and F.

G

I actually have the exact same problem. Goes directly to FF. Everything seems to roll like usual, powering up, harddrive & cd spinning. But no video to my plasma screen (via DVI).

Any sollutions to this..??

wolfspiritp

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Same issue ff to 60 though.. enable display??/ Could be the 4 pin power im trying use until i get a 8 pinpower adapter 9500gt on 750i mobo w/ e 7500 cpu went cheap for new gfriends build in budget. 600watt power. No screen. 3.gigs 800mhz ram