Additional Fans for CM-690

I recently got a CM-690 computer case along with a i7 920, 750 watt Thermaltake Toughpowr psu and the asus p6t deluxe motherboard. The case came with three built in fans and as you might know has room for 4-5 more fans. I am a bit confused where to plug in those additional fans. I may have missed something but seems like I can plug three fans directly on to the motherboard. Would I need to plug the rest of the fans directly into the psu? Is there any disadvantage over having fans plugged directly into the psu rather than the motherboard? I was thinking about getting a fan controller but was not sure whether it would be worth it or not.

Core i7 920
Ati Radeon 4870 1gb
6GB DDR3 1600
640gb WD caviar
240gb Segate hd
dvd rw
750 watt Thermaltake Toughpower.

2 answers Last reply
More about additional fans
  1. well you could try using splitters to double up your available power sources,

to get the best level of control over the fans id say a fan controller is your best bet,

i have a zalman mfc1plus which gives me 6 dial controls for 6 fans or more if i use splitters, but only two of those are linked back into the motheroard so i can monitor their speeds.

you need to decide whether you want a digital one which shows you the rpm speeds on a lcd but probably less individual controls or more controls and no display.
  2. thanks for the reply, I will try plugging in rest of fans directly into the psu. Not worried about them running full speed all the time, going to see if I can get a decent fan controller later.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Motherboards Components