New HTPC build

boojiboy

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Hey guys (gals?). Ok new build, the chassis turns on (there's a power button light), the fans come on and I can feel the harddrive whir but the system never boots up.

Case/Chassis: Antec VERSIS FUSION V2 PC Case w/IR Sensor 430W
Motherboard: Gigabyte S-Series, Socket AM2+/AM2,AMD 780G,4DDR2UATX
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 Dualcore 5400B AM2 2.8GHz 1MB 65nm 65W 2000MHz Tray
RAM: 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 Kit

Am I missing something obvious with this HTPC chassis? At this point, I can only think of getting a different motherboard to see if that's the problem but the fact everything is getting powered makes me think the motherboard might be ok. Does this kind of case make any beep for the motherboard as it powers up?

Please let me know if there's any more information I should add...

Oh and I should mention there's no information displaying on the front from the LED readout

boojiboy

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Yes, both the 4-pin CPU power connector (known as ATX for this motherboard) and the 2x12 Main Power Connector are in.
I've switched out the RAM and still nothing.
It's so weird, I've never had a box I've built NOT boot up.
The CPU and it's fan are in, but shouldn't it at least boot even if the CPU is bad? If the motherboard is bad, should it still be able to power the fans?

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
If you can see between the back of the MB and the case, if it looks too close it is. Otherwise try building on a piece of cardboard with the bare minimum of parts (CPU, 1 stick of RAM, PSU....)

boojiboy

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
OK alcattle. I got some brass standoffs and tried using those but still with the same results.
If the fans,lights,etc. are on though, doesn't that mean the MB is esentially fine?

Were you originally trying to boot without standoffs installed between the motherboard and case? If you were, I hope you didn't fry the motherboard. The fact that the fans, lights, etc... light up DOESN'T mean the motherboard is fine.

Have you checked Gigabyte's website to see if that particular CPU is supported on that motherboard?

boojiboy

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
The Antec manual says that standoffs are already installed. It's not just the plain chassis, there are standoffs already mounted inside.
I got some extra brass standoffs just to make sure.
I first tried booting without the extra standoffs installed so perhaps that's it for the MB. With the extra standoffs in, the MB sits up high and doesn't look right. There are some already in the chassis but they don't look brass.
I got some extra ones and added standoffs to the standoffs? just to see if that might be the problem.
The CPU is supported, I've an Athlon 64 AM2 which the MB supports

There's a lot more to a CPU than the series (Athlon 64 AM2). Something as minor as a new stepping will often require a new motherboard BIOS for support. Just because your chip is an "Athlon 64 AM2" doesn't mean it's automatically supported on your board. What is the exact model of your motherboard? I went to the Gigabyte site and looked at all the 780G boards listed and none of them showed the 5400B in the supported CPU list. That chip looks like it's a "business class" chip, whatever that means.

boojiboy

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Hmmm...I've a new CPU which the board supports but still the same problem. The lights are on and the fans are running, the hard drive vibrating but nothing else.

boojiboy

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Absolutely...there's a 4-pin for the CPU and the 2x12 Main Power Connector.
Ok, I just got a new chassis (cheapest they had) and we'll see what happens.

boojiboy

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
shortstuff_mt Ok it's up! You were correct I did not do due diligence and purchased a CPU which the motherboard did not support. Doh!