Very high temperature problem

grypht

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
My brother in law bought a new computer, and he asked me my opinion on a temperature problem he is having.
When he starts his computer and start RealTemp, he has a temperature of 52-54 C then he runs the test and in less then 20sec his temp goes up to 90C.

Here's his spec:
CPU: Intel quad core Q9550,
Video card: 2 X Palit Crossfire 4870 512 mb,
HSF: Zalman 9700NT,
Motherboard: Gigabyte X48-DQ6,
Memory: Kingston HyperX4Gig 1066Mhz DDR2,
Harddrive: Seagate 1TB,
Case: Anctec Nine Hundred tower,
Powersupply: Antec 850W power supply

I told him to bring it back to the store and so he did, after 11days, they told him that it was normal!!! (yeah right!)
The room temp is always around 20-22C

He tried without the sidewindow and with a fan blowing in and said it didn't change a thing (with the ventilation his case has it shouldn't matter either)

I told him to check if his Heatsink was well seated and told me it looked okay.

I read that some Gigabyte motherboards have problem reading temp correctly, but if the computer freeze up after 1h of Crysis Warhead I guess it's because the heat is real...

Now I'm planning to go to his place and see what I can find out, but maybe someone has an idea?

I was planning to bring along my C2D Intel stock fan and try it out, but will it be okay with a Quad core?
I was also planning on bringing my Arctic Cooling MX-2 and see if that would help.

I downloaded Speedfan, cpu-z, RealTemp (tho he already has it) and prime95.

So any opinions on what I should try or check?
Thanks a lot for any ideas,

Those temps are certainly not "normal". Whatever shop told him that shouldn't even be in business. I wonder how many computers that shop's sold with poorly installed heatsinks.

My guess is the same as yours - the heatsink isn't fully seated. You can't tell if it's fully seated by looking at it. :lol

You're on the right track checking the temps with more than one piece of software and using prime95 to fully load the CPU. At those temps you're going to run into thermal throttling.

Is he sure those aren't the temps for the GPU?

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
it is a nice solution if you really cant re-seat the heatsink... plus the computer shop should pay for their own mistakes. their is not a person on this planet who likes to reinstall a heatsink.

The CPU probably won't fry, it'll just throttle and be really slow.

Re-installing a cooler isn't rocket science. The OP has a Zalman cooler. Once the cooler and back-plate are installed, re-installing the cooler just involves two screws. Anyone who can't handle that should take a close look at Dell.

Problem is, then they'll claim he did something to it and fried it. They'll then refuse to warranty anything.

Here's the deal. Those temps are higher than they should be. And 90C is just plain to hot for that CPU, it'll throttle or cook at those temps.

Since your brother has a pretty good gaming system set up there, he really needs a good aftermarket cooler anyhow.

Is that CPU overclocked or at stock speeds? If those are the stock speed settings/temps, they either put in a different cooler than the advertised Zalman, or they didn't seat it properly. You should never come anywhere near 90C (let alone at stock speeds).

The Zalman 9700NT cooler they put on is quite spendy for what it is to be quite honest. NewEgg.com sells it for $66.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118020

They could have gotten a better CPU Cooler in the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and spent less money, and it would blow heat off that CPU far better. Though you'd also want the Bolt-Thru kit for it.

Xigmatek HDT-S1283 $36.99-$10MIR=$26.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003&Tpk=S1283

They also installed DDR2 1066Mhz RAM, which is great, but not really needed. Could have saved him money and stuck with cheaper 800Mhz.

particleman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
At 90°C you should be able to feel the hot air blowing out of the heatsink. Worse come to worse.....touch the heatsink on the fins.....and if they are hot......then there is a problem.

If you can not feel the scalding hot air..or sense it by touch.....then it seems to be a sensor issue.

Thats the simple test.....without any fancy programs.

I dont trust programs all the time.

Cheers,
-PM

grypht

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I think the Zalman comes with some cheap thermal paste, I bet that's what they used. (not sure there)
I told him about getting a new HSF since the Zalman is now "old". I have a Xigmatek S1283 in my own tower and love it (tho I only have a C2D)

He was asking me how to overclock when he first got it, and I told him to keep it at stock speed the first month to make sure all the parts are working correctly. At one point He underclocked it at 2.66ghz, not sure if it's still at that speed right now.

I'll try to touch the fins and see if it's hot or not, but if it isn't wouldn't it mean that the HSF is not properly installed?
Thanks for the comments so far,

Yea, a properly installed cooler will be warm to the touch since it's transferring heat. An improperly installed cooler will be cold because none of the CPU heat is being transferred to it. That Zalman cooler may be "old", but it's still a decent cooler. There's no need to replace it, just get it installed correctly and it should work fine.

particleman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Copper is never "old" (unless its green from oxidation)

mine is the 9600A....and it cools amazingly. the old you speak of is merely old in style. might not be the new hip thing...but still does its job right.

Remounting a HSF is easy if you do it right. I dont mind remounting (AMD ones are easy mounts)

Cheers,

-PM

MaD

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
What is that the temperature of, if its the graphics card its normal, if its the CPU you have a problem. Carefully put your hand in the case while your running the test to see if it is way too hot.

If its the graphics card im pretty sure that without the fanfix for the new 4800's its fine (i have a 4850 at it was at 90 when running on the defult fan settings)

cyberman86

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008

I have the Same Processor and i get 23-26 C , @ Stock 2.8ghz with a Cooler Master HyperTx Fan.
This Processors should be cooler since they have 45mn chips, they obviously didn't installed the CPU correct or its just defective.

grypht

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
First off: Thank you for all the replies, it gave me a lot of things to think about, that I didn't at first.

Now, I just wanted to let everyone know what the problem was <drum roll>: The guy at the computer store put the AMD bracket instead of the Intel bracket.

It was my first time installing that HSF and I have to say that it didn't feel "right". I do not like the way the HSF can move on the CPU before you get to put both screws in. The thermal paste can get all over the cpu and the metal frame holding it in place.

Anyway, now his temp at boot is around 22-25celsius and under full load it didn't seem to go above 55celsius