2400 Pro 256 AGP Causes XP Not To Boot

Distant One

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I recently purchased a Visiontek HD 2400 Pro 256 AGP to upgrade from my Geforce 6200 LE. I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers ran Driver Cleaner Pro, rebooted with the new card, then install with the supplied drivers from the CD. Everything seemed fine and dandy, until I rebooted. When rebooting the system would freeze on the Windows logo loading bar. I continued to try to reboot, but to no avail it continued to not be able.

The only way to boot successfully was to go into safe mode and uninstall the drivers. Thinking it was a driver issue, I installed many different drivers. I tried the AGP hotfix drivers 8.12, 8.11 and 8.2, and the latest omega drivers but none of them worked.

I updated my chipset (Intel 850 Series) and I tried to update my BIOS using the Express Bios Update from the Intel website, but it said that I am trying to update an invalid system.

Any suggestions on what I could try to get this system to boot with ATI drivers?

Here are my specs:
1.8 Ghz Intel Pentium 4
1.0 GB RAM
XP Home Edition SP3

My Mobo:
Board: Intel Corporation D850GB AAA49507-904
Serial Number: ABGB13425164
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. GB85010A.15A.0046.P13.0108201551 08/20/2001

Distant One

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Thanks for the quick response.

The Visiontek card only requires 270W. I have a 350W PSU. I don't think that power is an issue here.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
psu's die over time, and you do not get the full advertised wattage, only 60~80% of what it says it can do. My money is still on the psu, espically if it is a cheap no name brand. What brand of psu is it? Do you have access to another psu that you can try?

However it could be other things.
have you done any overclocking?
Have you reset the CMOS?
Have you tried it with your old nvidia card?

Distant One

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
My PSU brand is Rosewill.
I haven't done any overclocking at all.
How would I reset my CMOS? Would I do that before or after installing the drivers?
The old 6200 LE is fine, works great with the system. Right now though I am using the Standard VGA drivers with the HD 2400 Pro.

co30cl

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Maybe the card is defective if the computer hangs while loading its drivers and accessing its memory. Also, is it at least the same AGP speed (4x, 8x) as your previous card?

Your motherboard only supports a range of AGP voltages - check the user manual or google it. You also need to find the supported voltages of your 2400, which could be on a manual, a white sheet, something. Again, google is your friend.

Distant One

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Oh, I didn't understand you at first.

I thought AGP voltage depended on whether if were 4x or 8x for example. 4x runs at 1.5v and 8x runs at 0.8v. My motherboard accepts 4x 1.5v agp cards. So shouldn't the card work? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Distant One

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
UPDATE: I tried something new and installed the drivers through New Hardware Wizard. It installs the drivers without having to reboot.

The drivers are fine, but it seems the issue is only when I try to restart.

Boot into safe mode and unistall the drivers. Also be sure to go into device manager and remove all the display devices listed. You may be surprised to see the listing for your old card there. After you do all that boot into windows normally and don't let it try and install the drivers automatically. Install the 8.12 AGP hotfix drivers and that should be the end of it. Personally if I had that much trouble I probably would have just formatted the thing and started over. Yeah, having a good external drive is handy ^_^.

Distant One

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009

I went ahead and reformatted and installed the 8.12 drivers. The first reboot was glitchy but on the second reboot it worked! :D