Is OC'ing a 5770 worth it

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
ok my first question is overclocking a 5770 worth it?

2nd. how safe is it, can i always return it to the default speed if i wish?

3rd will i need an aftermarket cooling?

4th whats the best program to use, can i use the Ati Catilyst control center?

Solution
It depends, you do not get that much out of it even with a good CPU.(READ MORE)
If you play at a higher resolution and you get to the point where you reach your low FPS limit and want just a little more so that you can enjoy it more then it is worth it!

You can return to your stock speed any time you want but i do not recommend you go up and down all the time. Overclocked or stock. Safe?-if it brake's dawn and they figure out that is was overclocked it could cancel your warranty.

Witch model from HIS do you have? Is it standard or..?

You can use catalyst, can try auto tune, it will take a wile and colored lines will appear on the screen wile the card is overclocked by the utility. I have never found the need to use another program...

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
It depends, you do not get that much out of it even with a good CPU.(READ MORE)
If you play at a higher resolution and you get to the point where you reach your low FPS limit and want just a little more so that you can enjoy it more then it is worth it!

You can return to your stock speed any time you want but i do not recommend you go up and down all the time. Overclocked or stock. Safe?-if it brake's dawn and they figure out that is was overclocked it could cancel your warranty.

Witch model from HIS do you have? Is it standard or..?

You can use catalyst, can try auto tune, it will take a wile and colored lines will appear on the screen wile the card is overclocked by the utility. I have never found the need to use another program then the one that came with the card.

Here you can see what advantage the overclock gave me: http://www.frozentek.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?5711

Solution

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
its just regular version of the HIS 5770. not the already overclocked one.

and yes im trying to get a bit more out of Crysis at 1650x1050 x4 AA

also what is the highest i should overclock it? right now im just raising the Core and Memory clock by 10mhz, then testing it, then raising it another 10mhz.

should i try to get it all the way to the highest it can go?

also whats about the highest temp that a 5770 should go?

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
What are your temps now? Idle and load.

If you have never done this before you should let auto tune from catalyst do it for you. It might take a wile but should be ok.

If you really want to test it your self rise the GPU clock first and when you reach your desired lvl overclock the memory. Well, after you increase the speed do that test from catalyst. When it fails, lower the speed until you get a stable overclock. Don't do it all at once, but step by step as you said, 10 MHz at a time(or 5).

If your card is the reference one then you need to pay attention to your temperatures. You can try to reapply the thermal compound using arctic silver 5 and they also have a set of 2 solutions for cleaning the paste. Buy them and it will count. -not a really necessary thing, just an improvement. Depending on your temp.

When i did that review i got up to 73 max with the fan on auto(66%).
Since i did that review i have never crossed the 65-66C barrier(with the fan on auto), usually it stays at low50 in less demanding games(fan manual at 70%, witch is + 4% of max speed). Your card should be a little hotter i think.

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

ok so i tried letting the Auto tune do it and it put the Core clock to 950mhz Mem clock at 1445mhz. however when i tried gaming with it after about 15 minutes the game froze and the screen just showed a bunch of grey lines. so i lowered it to 925 and 1400mhz. and it seems to be fine now

for the temps it idles at around 37C and under heavy gaming load i havent seen it go above 68C.

does the GPU Fan change by itself? or should i change it in the CCC?

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Your temps are ok. The fan speed changes by it self but you can also change it manually when gaming if you like.

With MSI Afterburner as PsychoSaysDie suggested you should be able to overclock higher. Here is a short review: http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-afterburner-review/

If you want more, then use MSI Afterburner. If not, leave it that way.

I got mine to max overclock in catalyst, core from 860MHz to 960 MHz with no problem and memory to 1350-1360 witch i could not get any higher. I still run at stock..he he..

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

ok. for now ill probably just keep it at this as it is. thanks for your help

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
You could use a fan placed to blow on the card. That might help. Better just lower your speed a little. I think most of us get those artifacts(including me) when they reach that speed. It would be safer to lower the speed to 1300-1350 or something like that for longer term use.