SSD and Velociraptor question?

jijoslin

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I'm currently using a 300gb velociraptor as my sole drive, I've been looking at SSD's, should I put the games on the velociraptor and the os and applications on the ssd? whats the best configuration and does an oem ssd come with what I need?

Solution
It is the general practice adopted by the majority to put the OS and the most frequently used apps on the SSD and use a customary hard drive for gaming (mentioning velociraptor as customary is skeptical enough).. BTW, if you are a majority gamer than using the SSD for games is more beneficial in my opinion.. Its because the boot times for OS are significantly lower than game load times.. By this calculation, the velociraptor is plenty fast to maintain fast bootup times.. Thereby the SSD can be implemented for games resulting in lower load times and better experience overall..

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I personally think that is the best configuration. I have my OS and a few games on my SSD and the rest on the VR.

I select the games that take the longest loading times and install those on the SSD. If a game takes 5 seconds to load anyway, there is no reason to install it on the SSD, it will load quick on the VR anyway.

Regarding the OEM SSD, what is it that you need?

It is the general practice adopted by the majority to put the OS and the most frequently used apps on the SSD and use a customary hard drive for gaming (mentioning velociraptor as customary is skeptical enough).. BTW, if you are a majority gamer than using the SSD for games is more beneficial in my opinion.. Its because the boot times for OS are significantly lower than game load times.. By this calculation, the velociraptor is plenty fast to maintain fast bootup times.. Thereby the SSD can be implemented for games resulting in lower load times and better experience overall..

Solution

jijoslin

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

The oem's won't come with brackets to fit the 2.5 ssd into the 3.5 bay right?

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

That is correct. The beauty with the SSD's though is that they are so light that you can put them anywhere in your case, in any direction you want.

I have used double sided sticky tape on my SSD and it is sitting in the middle of an empty 3.5 slot. It is virtually unmovable. Just make sure you give your SSD a tiny amount of airflow, just in case...

I have seen people mounting them on the top of their case upside down, in the space between the top DVD-ROM and the case, etc, etc.

Beauty!

Latest posts