GTX280 water cool mod disaster?

Bobby Bubblehead

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I think my water cooling mod adventure has just come to an abrupt end. Worked fine for first 20 minutes now things look grim.
anyone out there with experience in water cooling GTX280`s got any last hope suggestions for my card.
It fired up fine but didnt run for more than half an hour before it froze the machine and upon reboot the Bios post looked like Bad Teletext reception - sounds terminal to me anyone care to agree?

Its not giving me the red light incidently.

Bobby Bubblehead

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I guess even overclocking nutters like a Drink at the weekend.... this silence isnt golden LOL

Everyone went out and had fun and I stayed in and blew up a 300pound Graphics card - I feel bad.... yep stupid and bad.

Come on hardware guru`s - there may at least be a discount waterblock in it for someone with a clue as to what should be done with it :)

Bobby Bubblehead

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I think ive found the problem theres a surface mount at a jaunty angle that looks all blowed up. Guess it was a slightly duff card to put it polite style.
Clockings bad children
Bubblehead 0 - BFG tech 1
best go shopping I guess. :(

Bobby Bubblehead

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I`ve Re-built the card three times and checked it threw but its as much use as stitching someones head back on after an accident really.

This cards decapitated allright.

Question is should I buy another to experiment with. Ive been modding and thrashing cards for years but its the first I ever failed and killed off.

royboyz

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Hi
your lucky to even have 1 been trying to get a couple of these cards for ages,where did you source yours.

The question is...Can you afford it? Have you talked to BFG? You might get them to, if not replace the card, offer a repair. Remember; If you do n`t ask, you do n`t get;)

@ROYBOYZ, what country are you in? We get posts from all over the world here!
If you`re in the UK then Scan, Ebuyer and CCL have plenty.

royboyz

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

royboyz

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Hi coozie,

have tried them all no joy,Scan dont even list them at the moment,ebuyer ccl dont even list them,
Bought in parts for a water cooled sli set up just waiting to get a couple of cards.
Scan do get them from time to time but not in great numbers,i've been checking every day .
When i contacted BFG some robot said they do not ship to europe anymore ........... some response eh.
Advance technologies site do advertise them for nearly £500 each!!!!!!!!!
which is a rip off.
I will wait a little longer to see if scan (£367) get them in again,if not i will get a couple of evga water cooled cards......not my first choice but there u go
I'm in the U.K. (BFGEGTX2801024H20CWE)water cooled
Why they are so difficult to get here......heaven knows.

Bobby Bubblehead

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I got another from overclockers for £204 they had another batch then things are looking dry with no eta last i looked.

as for the old one BFG`s aware and silent so far...
the component Is a 1mf powerchoke - and the early revisions are prone to blowing up.
they will be having it back... wasnt saleable to have been that feeble a card.
15% OC isnt enough to get decent artifacting never mind exploding components.
its happend to one or two people and one guy even thought it was resistor and solderd a replacement in... works fine until it gears up apparently.... poor guy!
im in the uk.

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
i would put the cooler that came with the card back on, contact BFG and tell them the card gave up the ghost, don't tell them it was a water cooling accident, make out it is down to faulty workmanship on the card, i find if you confront some one they are less likely to ask the hard questions, keep them on the rope's and dont take NO for a answer

Bobby Bubblehead

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
#warranty# you can pull a 280 apart if you look up where the lugs are (with the screws out obviously)
then keep the bits and should it `all blowed up on you`. just stick it back together and deny everything LOL
there not exactly forth coming about there mistakes with early builds.

Steeleater

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009

I wouldn't guarantee that I could fix it but would be willing to try ,if you like -I have a water cooled system and currently am running a 280 gtx water cooled- worse comes to worse I could maybe use it for parts.

steeleater@comcast.net