perishedinflames

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
hello there,

i'm having some trouble with overclocking my p.c. so i would appreciate any help
(i have never tried to overclock before ...a.k.a. NOOB :p)

my p.c. parts are as follow:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Motherboard: Asrock 4Core1600Twins P35
RAM: Crucial 4GB kit (2GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 memory module (CT2KIT25664BA1339)
Power: Thermaltake Toughpower 550W

what i've already tried to do but failed was setting the jumpers of the motherboard to FSB 1600 and then tweaked the BIOS a bit so that it would recognize my RAM modules as 1333 (it automatically sets them to 800Mhz) but when i save the configurations and exit the BIOS the p.c. fails to boot.

my goal is to overclock the RAM and CPU to a safe point (don't want to reach its limits).

to sum up, i got two questions;
a. what should i do with my BIOS and motherboard set-up so that everything works?
and
b. do i have to buy some CPU, Case or RAM coolers/heatsinks for a task like that?

cheers!

perishedinflames

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
ok here i go (i was not permited to edit the first post for some reason :S)

case: Thermaltake Matrix
fans: generic Intel CPU cooler, two fans (i believe they're 120mm) inside, one at the front and one at the back (i think the front blows in the case and the back out of it. is this how it should be?)

well i tried to read the thread you mentioned (before you did) but i'm originally seeking for basic answers concerning my system set-up (if it overclockable to begin with :p).

and what is more, i made this post cause my first steps in overclocking didn't let my system to boot. when i make some changes it fails and it then needs a CLEAR CMOS every single time.

excuse me if i am too dumb to deal with but believe me i'm trying

Np man, Im pretty new to this myself, we all start out somewhere,
AsRock boards usually come with software to tinker about with clocking, on your mobo disc should be intelligent oc tuner or similar?
Software-based clocking isnt great gain or the best way to do it, but with little steps you can see what setting affects what, and eventually youll go onto bios based games :)
Fans look ok atm, but if you want to clock you need to look into maybe an aftermarket cooler, this guide might help you understand cooling a bit more
http://www.pchardware.co.uk/cooling.php
hope this helps a little
Moto