Sign in with
Your question

A novice needs your help!

Last response: in Systems
December 29, 2008 8:59:44 PM

Hello guys,

I wanna built a pc like this.. I need your comments about the configuration. Any help, any comment so deptly appreciated..

CPU: AMD Phenom 9950 Quad Core 2.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS M3A
GPU: AXLE 9600GT
RAM: 2 x 2GB Kingston HyperX 1066 Mhz CL7 (Might be 800 Mhz since I will be using Microsoft XP)
Case: A-Open H600B
HDD: Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM 32 MB SATA2
ODD: LG 22x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER

I have several points needing advice:
1) What is your opinion about MOBO and brand ASUS. Some guys says GIGABYTE is better than this.
2) What about the compatibility of GPU with MOBO? I mean, can GDDR3 GPU "communicate" with DDR2 MOBO?
3) Should I persist in going for QuadCore? I will be playing games (Crysis etc.), this configuration can make it..
4) Is 400 Watts case safe for this system? I am wondering if I should buy some cheaper case with 250 Watts and replace the PSU with something bigger???
5) If I buy a MOBO with Onboard GPU, what will be the best choice.

I am willing to pay around 800-900$ with monitor (so about 600-700$ with the main unit). I am from Turkey so I cannot get a PC from neweggs.com etc.

Thank you so much in advance..

More about : novice

December 29, 2008 9:17:58 PM

I don't see any advantage with either Asus or Gigabyte. You can flip a coin. Now if you were comparing Asus and Gigabyte to ECS, that is a different story.

GPU memory has absolutely nothing to do with Motherboard memory. GDDR3 will be used by your GPU and DDR2 memory will be used by your CPU.

A quad core is fine. However for a game like Crysis you'll have to OC that processor to around 3ghz to get the most out of your system.

A good quality PSU is ALWAYS preferred over the cheap ones that comes with a case. You should go ahead and budget in the PSU as a separate part of your build and not rely on the one coming with the case.

A 790GX motherboard has onboard graphics and is a good match for 9950BE processor.
December 29, 2008 9:29:47 PM

Okay here is what I think:
CPU - should be fine, depending on what your plans. A good x2 CPU would do well also, so depending on your purpose and budget consider the x2 CPU too.

Mobo - Should be fine since it's a 780g mobo. I'd probably get a 790gx based mobo instead, so you can upgrade to some of the newer CPU's later (AM3 chips).

RAM - DDR2 800 mHz is generally all you really need for your system, just make sure it's good for CAS4 timings (4-4-4-12) and you should be set. I don't like the CAS7 listing that you have for the RAM. It'll work, but I don't think it's the best that you could probably get.

GPU - Never heard of AXLE GPU company. The 9600gt is a good basic card these days. I'd probably opt for a 4830/4850 over the 9600gt, if you can afford it, otherwise the 9600gt can do quite a bit on a budget.

Case - Not sure about the case/PSU combo. The biggest PSU factor these days is the +12v Amperage ratings. This is pretty important to know what the PSU can support for the 12v rail(s). The case looks like it only has 1 exhaust fan and not sure if it allows any intake ones (hard to see in picture). If you can get an Antec/Cooler Master case you might be better off. Not sure what is available where your at. If you get that case, make sure you get another fan for the intake part of cooling. Especially for the 9950, which can become quite warm under load.
Related resources
December 30, 2008 3:00:43 PM

flyin15sec and lunyone thank you both so much for the advice..

flyin15sec,
what do you mean by this:
flyin15sec said:
I don't see any advantage with either Asus or Gigabyte. You can flip a coin. Now if you were comparing Asus and Gigabyte to ECS, that is a different story.

I might be buying ECS but in Turkey it is not very well-known so it is cheaper than Asus or Gigabyte. What is your opinion on that? I will be searching for 790gx MOBO from now on. Thanks for the suggestion.

lunyone,

After you too, talked about 790gx MOBO with onboard GPU , I will be searching for it. GPU Axle is also new for me, but I have chosen it for its price. I may go for Sapphire HD3850.. The case has 2 fans. Do you think 400Watts is OK?

Thank you guys..
December 30, 2008 3:22:48 PM

ECS in general seems to be more entry level stuff. A lot of people have luck with them, but most guys here will tell you go with Asus, Gigabyte, MSI or another more well known vendor.
December 30, 2008 4:56:36 PM

What I meant was that between Asus or Gigabyte, they both have the same build quality. So you can flip a coin , chose heads or tails, to determine which brand to buy.

I would stay away from ECS motherboards. Some of their high end motherboards, particularly the Black Edition ones perform and are built very well. But overall, most of their low end stuff is complete garbage.
December 30, 2008 6:20:04 PM

AMD - PHENOM 9950 BLACK................197 $
MSI - KA790GX....................................114 $
KINGSTON - 2* 2 GB DDR2 800.............62 $
SEAGATE - 500 GB SATA2 32 MB............58 $
LG - H55N-S ..........................................28$
AOPEN - H600B28.................................92 $

TOTAL: 551$ + TAX

What about this configuration?
December 30, 2008 7:33:25 PM

Looks pretty good. Make sure you get CAS4 DDR2 (4-4-4-12 timings) at stock voltage (1.8v) if you can. Is usually about $5 more here in the U.S., but the speed difference and potential is a bit better.
My concern mostly with your above build is that the PSU isn't going to be a solid one. I see you didn't list the GPU. You would probably be better off with the 9600gt on the performance side, because it's faster than the 3850. Do you have any 4830's over there for sale at a decent price?? That would be a step up from the 9600gt, so consider that too. Even the 9800gt would be a good option too.
December 30, 2008 7:44:37 PM

lunyone,
As flyin15sec said:
flyin15sec said:
A 790GX motherboard has onboard graphics and is a good match for 9950BE processor.

I have chosen that MSI motherboard with ATI RADEON HD3300 on it. I dont/cant afford for a GPU right now if I buy this motherboard. I hope I could make a crossfire in near future when I get some money (since I do not know how to do crossfire, so I will need your advice again :) ...) Do you think should I have ATI or NVIDIA for a future crossfire?...

I will certainly get CAS4, thanks for the warning... and I will get a PSU but I do not know the lower limit of the safe side? Is 500 OK?? Less or more??? Considering the price, I need to optimize the tradeoff between Watts and Bucks.. :) 
December 30, 2008 8:03:05 PM

tgulez said:
Do you think should I have ATI or NVIDIA for a future crossfire?...

Crossfire is for ATI cards only. If you're wanting to do crossfire then Nvidia isn't an option.
tgulez said:

I will get a PSU but I do not know the lower limit of the safe side? Is 500 OK?? Less or more??? Considering the price, I need to optimize the tradeoff between Watts and Bucks.. :) 

It's more important to get a quality PSU than worry about wattage ratings. A quality 450W psu will put out more clean power than a cheap 600W PSU. You're best off going with a PSU made by Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, OCZ, Zalman, Seasonic, etc... The PSU is the one piece of hardware you don't want to try to save a buck on since a cheap one will likely go out and take other hardware with it.
December 30, 2008 8:09:42 PM

So if I wanna make a crossfire in future, I need to buy a GPU with HD3300?? Something different will not be usable, will it?
December 30, 2008 8:12:15 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
Crossfire is for ATI cards only. If you're wanting to do crossfire then Nvidia isn't an option.

It's more important to get a quality PSU than worry about wattage ratings. A quality 450W psu will put out more clean power than a cheap 600W PSU. You're best off going with a PSU made by Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, OCZ, Zalman, Seasonic, etc... The PSU is the one piece of hardware you don't want to try to save a buck on since a cheap one will likely go out and take other hardware with it.

Exactly what I was going to post. The PSU is something that you shouldn't skimp on. I was trying to elude to that earlier, but didn't know enough to make an informed response. PCP&C, Corsair, Antec, & Seasonic are quality PSU's and should be highly considered when making your build.
December 30, 2008 8:17:28 PM

What you are thinking about is Hybrid Crossfire, which is very marginal gains at best. A single HD4670 could beat Hybrid Crossfire.

For max performance, you want true Crossfire, with two discrete video cards, talking through the PCIe and crossfire interconnect cable.
December 30, 2008 8:18:08 PM

Forgot to mention that if you want to do some gaming, your going to be better off with a dedicated GPU. Now if your just doing WoW or similar type of game than the onboard GPU (3300) will do. If you need to save some $ and get a dedicated GPU, you could even drop down to the 780g based mobo's They are usually about $20-40 cheaper than most 790gx based mobo's. Now the Aopen Case/PSU combo will probably run fine with the onboard GPU and system you described above, but don't expect it to be rock solid. My major point is that if you want some insurance on your system, you should get a quality PSU. I've had shotty PSU's in the past (when I didn't know better) and luckily I didn't have any extra parts get damaged when the PSU went out.
December 30, 2008 8:31:07 PM

Ohms... OK.. I got it.. I was thinking wrong... I was thinking Watt is the criteria. OK... I am going for that... I am absolutely a novice.. :) 

Building a new config... ;) 

December 30, 2008 8:55:56 PM

A-DATA 4 GB(4*1GB) 800 MHz DDR2 RAM Vitesta Extreme (4-4-4-12)...88,00 USD
AMD Phenom 9950 QuadCore (2.6 GHz) 4MB 940p Black.......211,00 USD
Asus M3A AMD770/DDR2 1066MHz S+GL+RAID+16X 940pin...88,00 USD
Palit 9600GT 512 MB 256Bit GDDR3 16X..................................104,00 USD
Cooler Master RC-690 KKP2 GP 460W ATX CaseBlack.............129,00 USD
Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM 32MB SATA2 NCQ............................64,00 USD
Lg LG-GH22NS30 22X Sata Dvd-Rw Siyah..................................24,00 USD

OK.. I can afford that I guess... Just MOBO is a 770V... Case is Cooler MAster with 460 Watt... Any idea, comment??? I feel as I am getting closer and closer to my new system...
December 30, 2008 9:06:32 PM

tgulez said:
AOPEN - H600B28.................................92 $

TOTAL: 551$ + TAX

What about this configuration?

I like this build better. Just add an HD4830 like Lunyone suggest and you're set. You should also add a nice PSU. Spend a little more now
December 30, 2008 9:08:11 PM

You want to be sure to go with a 2x2GB setup instead of 4x1GB.
December 30, 2008 9:31:13 PM

Cooler Master RC-690 460W ATX Case...129 $
PALIT - HD4830 .................................. 148$

Total :735 USD... :) 

I might be thinking..... What about this Case and GPU. I have chosen Cooler Master since you advised. And GPU--> Palit? What do you think?
December 30, 2008 9:46:03 PM

That is probably a better build. Is an X2 CPU out of the question?? If you went with an x2 6000+ CPU (3.1 gHz) that would give you about $100 difference. You could then take the $100 difference and use some it for a quality PSU. The CM 460w PSU only has 26A on the 12v rails (assuming I looked at the same one your talking about). This is okay for a PSU, but I like to make sure your going to get a good PSU out of the situation. The CM PSU "should" be better than the Aopen one, so that would be an improvement. Do they have any of the quality PSU's where your at??
December 31, 2008 3:12:52 AM

OK. What is the difference between 7750 and 6000+. We have 7750 recently arrived here. 6000+ out of stock. If 7750 is better choice with other parts remaining the same, I can buy it and really saves me me about $100.
December 31, 2008 3:49:04 AM

The 7750 is the "Black Edition", which means the multiplier is unlocked. This is great for OC'ing the CPU. It takes about 20 seconds in the BIOS to move the multiplier up to a faster speed, w/out any voltage changes!!! It's like getting a 3-3.2 gHz chip for the price of a regular one. Since the 6000+ is out of stock than the 7750 will do well. Most of the "Black Edition" CPU's usually don't come with a CPU HSF, but I believe this one does. I think the Phenom 9850 "Black Edition" also comes with a CPU HSF too, so you shouldn't have to buy one to complete your build. I'd say go for the 7750 and take that $100 savings and put some of it towards a quality PSU. You won't regret doing it!

What quality PSU's are available to you over there?? Corsair, PCP&C, Antec, Seasonic are some of the good quality PSU's to look at. Mind you, you should only need a quality 380w (Antec Earthwatts) or greater PSU for this build. If you want a little more upgrade room you'll need a bit more, but by buying a quality PSU you shouldn't be pushing the limits of the PSU. Most of the cheaper built PSU's will say their PSU is a 600w PSU, but in reality it's more than likely a poor 300-350w PSU.
December 31, 2008 4:07:15 AM

I have found OCZ - STEALTHXSTREAM 500 Watt . Also we have DEXTER, FSB, GLACIALPOWER, HIGHPOWER here..

I guess only thing to consider after this is to get a at least two-fanned case? Am I correct?

I do appreciate the effort you guys are showing.. I am really greatful to you.

December 31, 2008 4:18:27 AM

That OCZ is probably the best quality PSU that you've mentioned. I don't know about the others that you've listed. It would be better if you had at least a 2 fanned case for cooling purposes, but it's not the end of the world. I have built a system with only 1 exhaust fan w/a 9600gt in it and it runs fine. It is better if you have at least one intake and one exhaust fan in the case. You can always buy a seperate fan, if the case you get doesn't come with 2. They are pretty cheap (under $10 is pretty common). You will just need to know what size of fan the case can hold. Most are 80mm, but some are 92mm or even 120mm or more, depending on which case you get.
December 31, 2008 4:20:52 AM

May I have your comments on two parts:
1. MSI - DKA790GX with +30 $ difference than MSI - KA790GX and,
2. VERITECH 1GB ram with programmable CAS latency

What does this programmable CAS latency mean? This Veritech has CAS latency programmable 4 and 5.
December 31, 2008 4:26:34 AM

Oh, by the way I have seen that this OCZ PSU has the cooling fan on its side different the the power cable's side. How can I assemble it? Does it require a special type of case?
December 31, 2008 5:16:15 AM

The OCZ PSU only requires a standard PSU slot to fit into, so if the case can take standard ATX form PSU's you should be just fine. Most cases do, so I'd double check it before buying, but the CM 690 case will do just fine.

The difference on the DKA and KA mobo's is basically the DKA has 2 x PCI-e slots for 2 dedicated GPU's for crossfire and the KA version only has 1 x PCI-e slots. The KA should be cheaper, since is a stripped down version of the DKA one.
December 31, 2008 9:28:26 PM

OK The final config is as follows:

AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black
MSI - KA790GX
CRUCIAL - 2* 2 GB DDR2 800 CL4 RAM
SEAGATE - 500 GB SATA2 32 MB
LG - H55N-S
Cooler Master RC-690 460W ATX Case
PALIT - HD4830
OCZ PSU with 500 Watt

Since I dont have enough money for all of this, for now I will not buying PALIT GPU and OCZ PSU. I will not be overclocking and will get first PSU then GPU when I can afford. Now, I will be relying on the 460 Watt cooler master PSU and ATI RADEON HD3300 on MOBO.

I would like to thank you all, flyin15sec, shortstuff_mt and ohiou_grad_06 and especialy lunyone to get a configuration that I am comfortable with...

I WISH YOU ALL A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

January 2, 2009 6:48:02 AM

Hello,

My config was like this:
AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black
MSI - KA790GX

But in the list of supported CPU's of MSI KA790X, they dont have AMD Athlon X2 7750... What should I do?
!