Extending boot partition

I made the mistake of trying to extend the boot partition
of my WinXP installation. It wasn't until afterwards that
I saw the warning not to try this, at the bottom of the
instructions. (Note to self: read *all* the instructions
first!)

I started with a 62GB partition and 49GB free space. I
now have the situation that Disk Management sees only 1
partition on the disk, taking 111GB (100%) of the drive.
But in My Computer (and Explorer etc.) it shows me as
only having 62GB to play with.

Is there any way I can shrink my partition back to it's
original size? Help!

Iain
3 answers Last reply
More about extending boot partition

    How did you extend the partition to begin with? In any case, you need some
    third-party partitioning software to manipulate the partitions (such as
    PartitionMagic).

    --
    Please reply in newsgroup.

    "Iain" <iswoolley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I made the mistake of trying to extend the boot partition
    > of my WinXP installation. It wasn't until afterwards that
    > I saw the warning not to try this, at the bottom of the
    > instructions. (Note to self: read *all* the instructions
    > first!)
    >
    > I started with a 62GB partition and 49GB free space. I
    > now have the situation that Disk Management sees only 1
    > partition on the disk, taking 111GB (100%) of the drive.
    > But in My Computer (and Explorer etc.) it shows me as
    > only having 62GB to play with.
    >
    > Is there any way I can shrink my partition back to it's
    > original size? Help!
    >
    > Iain
  2. Acronis is a good one which may help you to shrink and extend the boot partition.

    However, if you can not afford the high price of it, maybe another alternative partition software may help you out.

    Here is a detailed shink windows paritition tutorial:

    www.partition-tool.com/resource/shrink-windows-partition.htm
  3. You can use Easus free partition mananger can do everything you want. It can change your partition size during boot time. Or you can use a freeware called Boot it which you burn a disk and boot into the disk and have a full set of tools to mess around with your hard drive and system and do whatever you want :)

Configuration Partition Boot Windows XP