Tags:
  • Flash Media
  • Windows 7
  • ISO
  • USB
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 24, 2010 5:06:18 AM

Hello, I copied a windows 7 iso file to a usb drive (properly, I know it works because i reformatted my friends netbook with this usb.) however now when i try to boot up the usb on my own laptop the screen just stays black with that little blinking bios underscore like im about to type... _ <---- like that.... anyways i have a Dell Inspiron 1420 windows 7 ultimate PC and i just want to reformat it... any ideas on what could be wrong?

More about : usb iso booting

a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
June 24, 2010 8:18:36 AM

Does your laptop support booting from usb and if so, is it enabled in bios?
m
l
June 24, 2010 1:22:08 PM

how do i check if it supports booting from usb? I mean I can select it from a list of boot devices when i press f 12... and when theres no usb plugged in it doesn't show it as an option on the list so it definitely recognizes a USB source in the least. But i don't know how to check it, If you could let me in on it?

EDIT: i checked my BIOS and theres an option (which is turned on) to do with USB emulation. That means it supports USB right?

EDIT:well I would be more then happy to try another way of redoing my USB to make it bootable and copying an ISO file to there.. So far i have been using win2flash but if anyone can show another method id be more than happy.
m
l
Related resources
June 24, 2010 2:19:04 PM

meissner61 said:
Hello, I copied a windows 7 iso file to a usb drive (properly, I know it works because i reformatted my friends netbook with this usb.) however now when i try to boot up the usb on my own laptop the screen just stays black with that little blinking bios underscore like im about to type... _ <---- like that.... anyways i have a Dell Inspiron 1420 windows 7 ultimate PC and i just want to reformat it... any ideas on what could be wrong?

how old is the laptop.. i had the same issue. i installed w7 ult from usb to a centrino 1.8 with 1gb ram - with no problems. but when i tried to install to a 2ghz p4 with 512 it hung up with a black screen. i know it boots usb because i was replacing an ubuntu unstall that was put on via usb too.

i think its a compatibility issue.
m
l
June 24, 2010 7:01:04 PM

about 2-3 years? It came with windows Vista so its not THAT old... but that would suck if it is a compatability issue... what dictates the booting of USB's? is the mother board or is the BIOS?
m
l
!