System won't boot up using old hard drive

kipowen

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
I just put together a new system with an ASUS motherboard and AMD 6000+ chip....the system will not boot up with the old hard drive installed, but will boot up as soon as I install a new hard drive. I really would like to utilize the old drive because it has my Windows XP Pro and all of my gaming files etc. on it. Any suggestions on how I can use the old hard drive on the new build? The hard drive's are identical i.e. the old HDD and the new HDD are both Western Digital 300 gb/ ata serial drives. Does something have to be removed from the old hard drive first so that it will boot up?

TIA

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
You won't be able to use an old install of XP with new parts in mpost cases. If you have the Window CD then you can either repair or re-install XP. Safest bet is to format and start over. Sounds like you have a CD, so try a repair.

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
What MB was the old drive connected to before? If the MB's were close to the same then maybe a Windows repair will work but most times you need to do a new install of the OS and install the drivers for the new MB.