Sign in with
Your question

Push/pull config w/ two Scythe Gentle Typhoons on a Corsair H50

Last response: in Overclocking
June 6, 2010 2:31:00 AM

I just received 2x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Fan, 1850 RPM which I intend to install as a push/pull config on my Corsair Hydro Series H50. I'm overclocking my i7 930 to 4.0ghz and getting 79c temps on prime95.

Currently have my fans set up as:
Two in the front on intake
Corsair fan on back as intake to get air into the radiator
Fan on side panel as intake
Large exhaust fan on top

I'm wondering how exactly I should set up the two Scythes and if I should configure any of the other fans differently.

I thought a push pull meant to have the back fan on intake and the other one near closer to the cpu as exhaust, but the more I look it up the more confused I get. If someone could explain this to me that would be helpful.

I thought it would look like this:

-> l R l <-
So intake-radiator-exhaust

Do I set up both fans inside of the case or should I get the first one installed out side of the case?

I don't have a Y connector or fan controller. Is this a big deal? Can I do it inside of bios? I was intending to just hook both Scythe fans on my motherboard connectors.

Any other recommendations on how to maximize these fans and my existing ones would be appreciated.
June 6, 2010 5:20:20 AM

it should be like <-R<-

the back of your case normally should be an exhaust so mount your h50 on the back of the case...and both fans blowing the same direction OUT of the case.

what you are doing you arent creating air flow through the fins.
m
l
June 6, 2010 8:36:40 AM

But wouldn't that be taking hot air from the case and pushing it through the radiator? I could see why the second would be an exhaust but I don't quite understand. It wouldn't be like -> R -> so cool air is being sucked in then pushing out towards the large exhaust fan on top?

Don't mean to be skeptical, just wanna make sure I'm doing it right.
m
l
Related resources
June 6, 2010 9:19:56 AM

Madcut said:
But wouldn't that be taking hot air from the case and pushing it through the radiator? I could see why the second would be an exhaust but I don't quite understand. It wouldn't be like -> R -> so cool air is being sucked in then pushing out towards the large exhaust fan on top?

Don't mean to be skeptical, just wanna make sure I'm doing it right.

Exactly what i found, using the H50 as <|R|< was pulling to much hot air from the case, i swapped it to >|R|> and saw a 6deg drop, using the top fans as exhasut, the air comming out the top is like a hairdryer, its insane. The only issue being that the rear exhaust fan (as standard) does not have a filter on it
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 6, 2010 4:59:04 PM

Just take a can of compressed air to the fans once a month and it will keep them pretty much dust free.

I would do the H50 as intake from the back (recommended by Corsair), as long as there is sufficient room behind your case to pull from (not up against a wall or under a desk or anything), and you should see a decrease in temps, just as Cygone said.
m
l
June 7, 2010 3:53:37 PM

Yeah mine is in push pull as an intake like Corsair suggests >R> with 2 87 cfm Cooler master Excaliber 120mm fans 2300 rpm but I found 110 cfm fans and am going to upgrade I think all my fans are intake except the one on the top hot air rises anyway. Take a look at my specs. If you have any more questions please ask.
m
l
June 10, 2010 5:01:37 PM

i have 2x HUGE fans blowing as my intake i think its around 240mm? and i have never had any problem with the exhaust air being to warm because of the massive amount of air being circulated through.

i currently have a radiator mounted inside the case using 'warm' case air to cool my water cooled loop and my temps are great. OC to 3.9 recently at 1.51v from 3.2gz and 1.35v and temps stayed stable at 49c running prime95 for 30 mins
m
l
July 3, 2010 7:27:26 PM

Hey guys, where do you find a Y connector for the CPU fan when running a
push/pull config.
m
l
July 6, 2010 11:37:44 AM

I also found one at directron.com. It's cheeper at 2.99 but you get what you pay for.
I would go with the one at newegg. I wish I had
m
l
July 6, 2010 4:10:31 PM

dont use a Y cable splitter, you are doubleing the impedance on the line, instead, plug the pump into the CPU header, and both fans to either motherboard headers or via 4pin molex / fan controller
m
l
July 9, 2010 7:57:16 AM

jedimasterben said:
Just take a can of compressed air to the fans once a month and it will keep them pretty much dust free.

I would do the H50 as intake from the back (recommended by Corsair), as long as there is sufficient room behind your case to pull from (not up against a wall or under a desk or anything), and you should see a decrease in temps, just as Cygone said.

What I intend to do is cut slots in an airfilter from the screw holes to the edge of the filter. So that way I can loosen the screen 2 turns and slide the filter down for easy removal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
July 14, 2010 12:32:49 PM

Panty hose are way cheaper and you can't even see them as they are over the fans. All you have to do is when you clean your case blow them out. Also one pair makes a bunch of filters. If you really want actual filters here's a link these are cheaper.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
m
l
July 14, 2010 10:46:42 PM

Cygone you were right about not using a splitter. I tried one and my CPU fan speed never got above 1600 rpm. Both fans are rated at 1800 rpm. What I did was to take the push fan and connect it to the CPU fan header and then connected the pull fan to a 4 pin molex. The CPU fan (push) now runs around 1750 rpm and the pull fan runs flat out and I'm getting great cooling. 25c idle and 29-30c flat out in MW2
multi player. I guess I should point out that I replaced my top exhaust 90mm with a 120mm fan and changed my front intake to an exhaust. The case also has a 90mm back exhaust fan right above the H50 Radiator and fans. I'm not using any filters now ...... we'll see
m
l
!