What's a good PSU?

I am replacing my dead video card with a GeForce 9800GTX+ and have a Q6600 quad processor. According to XFX, I need to upgrade my 400w PSU to at least 630w. I need recommendations for a good power supply. I suspect my old power supply may have caused my dead video card. Thanks for any help you can offer.
22 answers Last reply
More about what good
  1. budget?
  2. Sorry, should have mentioned that I'm looking to spend less than $150. Thanks.
  3. Here is a website to have a look at.... http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx Choose from the top 2 tiers and you should be fine. XFX only lists 630W because there are crap PSU out there so they don't want law suits. I'm pretty sure a quality 550W would do unless you ever decide to SLI.
  4. U should be fine with a 550. (but overkill never kills anyone ;) )

Mainly stick with Corsair, Seasonic, Antec (they have some good ones...especially the new ones) and PC P&C is always good

Also, decide if u want modular or not (can change price a bit)
  5. Thanks. I appreciate the info. :)
  6. um, sorry - suchanewb is a pretty good description of me. How do I know if I want modular? Is it size? Fit in the case?
  7. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256012

Here ya go.

Newegg is pretty good eRetailer

When looking for a good psu, make sure there is at least 18a+ on the 12v rail.
    (you will need more depending on setup)
    I recommend a single 12v rail over multiple. (multiples cost a little less but may not adequately power your system)

Try to get a unit with Active PFC which will compensate for loss of power.

Brands: PC Power & Cooling, Corsair, Silverstone. Antec and Thermaltake can be considered as well but I would go with the first three by default.
  8. Modular just means that u can remove cables that are unneeded....

Reduces clutter but costs more
  9. Thanks much for the help. After careful consideration...I'm thinking one of these two:

PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS750QBL 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Corsair TX CMPSU-750TX ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply

Any warnings, opinions, facts I should know?
    Thanks again.
  10. Both excellent PSUs, the corsair will probably be a bit quieter.
  11. ^^exactly

otherwise theyre the same
  12. Go 700 watt, more is always better.
  13. One last question...should I go with the Corsair 620 HX instead (of the 750 TX) to get a modular unit? It has triple rails instead of single. Being a newb, will it be easier to install?

Interestingly...Corsair says I only need like a 540w but for a few bucks more, why not overkill a little. :)
  14. Multiple or single rail really makes 0 difference. Generally a multiple rail is just a single split

The only difference is modular or not.
    Personally, since u really dont kno the difference, grab the 750
  15. I appreciate all the help guys. Bought the Corsair TX 750 and will install tomorrow. Thanks again!
  16. drippyfausett - thanks for posting the link to the updated tiered list of power supplies. another bookmark for reference material.
  17. I still dont agree with that list at all....

I mean, they add stuff, but some stuff should be totally changed
  18. Silverion - Yes, that list is not absolute and it is subject to change and personal opinions. On top of that the updated list is from last May. However, what I found interesting was the list of links to other web sites that review and test power supplies:

jonnyGURU
    SilentPCReview
    PCPer
    AnandTech
    HardwareSecrets
    HardOCP
  19. +1 what theAnimal said.
  20. Yea personally i like Jonny and Hard OCP the best
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Graphics Cards Components Product