HTPC Rebuild; Parts List: Opinions?

yogi_bear_79

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Unfortunately I need to replace the MB on my HTPC. I originally built this in late ‘05, its main purpose was to store, and play music. I had available to me an ATI AWI 128Mb card so I used it as well.
ORIGNAL BUILD HIGHLIGHTS:
Silverstone Case
ASUS K8V SE Deluxe MB
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
ATI AWI 128mb video card
1GB PC3200 DDR 400MHZ

Even though it wasn’t a primary use, I never had much luck with the ATI AWI software when it came to recording TV. I recently started watching more AVI movies/TV shows using the HTPC. I have it connected to my rear-projection TV via s-video (TV is vintage ’98) so that is the best connection I can use. It is connected to my receiver via digital coax, I don’t have an open optical audio available.

The goals of this upgrade, beyond repairing the failing MB, would be to be able to record TV successfully, especially set up timer based recordings. Hopefully improve the playback of the AVI movies/tv shows. Not shell out a fortune!

New Build Changes:
Asus M2R32-MVP ATI Socket AM2 ATX Motherboard
AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition Processor
OCZ SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory
Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 - 512MB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800 | Hybrid Video Recorder

I do zero gaming, and this system ONLY stores and plays video, & music. I’ll be using WinXP Pro ( don’t care for Vista), and I don’t have XP 64Bit 

Please provide any inputs as to the new components as you see fit, thanks!

Wolfshadw

Titan
Since you're not gaming on this system, I see no reason to go for a Crossfire capable motherboard. Also, it appears the BIOS update for the motherboard/CPU combo is still in beta. You also mention that you do not have an available Optical S/PDIF input on your receiver, but that's the type of audio connector on your selected motherboard.

Pretty much any dual core processor is going to serve you just fine. Not too long ago, I set up my s939 X2-3800 w/ATI AIW X1800XL to record a three hour movie, over-night. It did so without a hitch. Play-back was fine.

I'd probably look for a different motherboard and maybe a not-so-new CPU. The rest of your component list looks fine.

-Wolf sends

yogi_bear_79

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
The connectors on this board are:

S/PDIF Connectors: 1 - Coaxial, 1 - Optical

All though the pics do not show the Optical.

I can backdown the processor easy enough, most are about $54, this one was a about $80. Haven't been able to find a MB with Digital Coax out for the sound, w/out on-board video. This board is $109, can't find anything with all that I need for less. Also It would be nice to be able to use more than two SATA drives. I have no use for RAID on this machine, but I do have a spare SATA drive sitting in the box.

Once I upgrade the TV, does the crossfire do anything for me, I would be able to use HDMI then?

Here's my 2 cents:

Give Vista Home Premium a try... the media center is outstanding and has a robust community supplying plugins and such.

Try to drop the discreet video card if you're not gaming. It just adds heat and noise. Go with an AMD setup with the 780G/790GX or 8200/8300 chipsets or an Intel setup with a 9300/9400 chipset. All can do blu-ray if you decide to go that way and have plenty of power for any HTPC needs. Though with S-Video, your options may not be too good with these digital-centric chipsets. Maybe consider a passively cooled HD4350/HD4550 instead?

If you do go with the new 7750 processor, it is basically a dual core phenom and so also has the newer memory controller that can handle 1066 RAM. The older Athlon X2's can use up to 800 RAM... this is just in case you find some 1066 RAM that is priced good, that CPU can use it. Thought you should know.

And lastly, maybe take a look at the new HVR-2250 instead of the HVR-1800. It has a built in splitter that can record two ATSC or two NTSC broadcasts at the same time with a single cable (but it cannot record ATSC and NTSC at the same time).

Good luck with the HTPC build. Let us know how it turns out.

yogi_bear_79

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I found this board Asus M3A78-T Motherboard, would suit, but I'd need an S/PDIF Optical to Digital Coax convertor, they run about $40. In the end I wouldn't save much as this board is $30 more than the original one, + the converter, results in same outlay of cash.

I haven't had any heat issues with the original setup, with the AWI in it. Noise has been negligable.