Drilling through a 486 chip

Vulture_Dropper

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I'm trying to make a keychain out of my old 486 DX2. However every forum post I've seen so far suggest that "its impossible to drill through a 486 chip's ceramic". I don't like the idea of it being impossible. The only success I've seen was someone using a laser, but I don't have access to such material. I do have access to a drill press however, if that could help. Do you know anyone or have you heard any stories of people successfully drilling a hole in a 486 chip?

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
It is very much possible to drill through ceramic. A high speed steel drill bit should make short work of it. You may first need to use a very small bit to make a starting cut, Then switching to the bit of choice. Just remember to go slow and not put too much pressure on that fragile ceramic. And for God's sake, wear some eye protection.

Sure, you can certainly drill through a 486's ceramic package. You will need to get a masonry or tile bit of the desired diameter- high-speed steel will just burn up. Put that in your drill press after adjusting the belts to the proper speed (look under the belt cover as there is usually a speed settings guide there.) Then drill the hole, periodically pouring a bit of water on the ceramic to keep the bit cool.