I Need Help With Motherboard Choosing !!!

kdawgsss

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
Hey guys

Im building a computer for a friend therefore i have to pick the compoments out.

im planning to get him a E7400 cpu $189 , 2GB Ram DDR2 800 $49, and a motherboard and his on a budget $300ish AUD, having around $100ish to spend on a motherboard. Replacing his amd 3000+ cpu, gigabyte motherboard and ddr400 ram.

he has the dvd drive(IDE), hdd(IDE), power supply,antec 900 case and video card already so he doesnt need any of theses.

the thing is that both his dvd drive and hdd are ide connections and his old motherboard has two ide slots. and the antec 900 case is big and i cant make reach of the dvd and the hdd using jst one ide cable. he doesnt have money for a new dvd drive or hdd.

so yer i need help finding a motherboard thats not too expensive "around $150 AUD max, cheaper the better" that will have 2 ide slots on the motherboard due to the lack of him not usin sata coz of his old computer.

Thanks for your help. :sweat:

I don't think modern mainstream MB's offer two IDE slots. Longer IDE cables are available. Check around online, but the cable cost almost as much as a SATA DVD drive ($25 on Newegg). SATA hard drives are relatively cheap. Perhaps buy a longer IDE cable for the current DVD drive and a new SATA HD. Then, buy an external enclosure and use the old IDE drive as removable storage.