Solved

Really would like RAID card help.

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
June 24, 2010 2:15:55 PM

This is my third post, not sure if I broke some un-writen rule or something. I'm just looking for a good 4 port SATA RAID card; PCIe, 0/1/5/0+1. I've heard people having all kinda of problems with verious ones and would like to limit problems if possible. I know someone has it have some knowledge about this and would just like some input if nothing else. Thank you, for any input you can give.

More about : raid card

a c 84 G Storage
June 24, 2010 5:58:57 PM

What's your budget? Is performance important?Did you look into the following controllers?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (BBU can be added for improved performance)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cables are not included. If you can afford it, there are better controllers between $500-$1000. Knowing the purpose of the controllers and the type of hard drives that you'll use might also help. People who run into issues often use hard disks that are not designed for RAID configurations.
m
l
June 24, 2010 6:14:21 PM

GhislainG said:
What's your budget? Is performance important?Did you look into the following controllers?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (BBU can be added for improved performance)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cables are not included. If you can afford it, there are better controllers between $500-$1000. Knowing the purpose of the controllers and the type of hard drives that you'll use might also help. People who run into issues often use hard disks that are not designed for RAID configurations.

OK, I guess I've have been looking at the cheap cards, but I do believe in you get what you pay for so I'll double my budget. I'm working on a WHS, I'm thinking RAID 1 would be best, and speed is second to reliability. I do like newegg and I have a couple 2TB WD RE drives picked out. The reason I'm looking for a 4 part is for expansion. Thank you for your reply; maybe I haven't asked the right questions and/or am looking at cheap cards.
m
l
Related resources
a c 84 G Storage
June 24, 2010 6:52:23 PM

Based on your reply, may I ask what motherboard you have or will get and if it has on-board RAID like ICH10R, then why not use it? It obviously won't be as fast as a dedicated RAID controller with BBU, but it's as fast as RAID controllers without a cache. Unless it's a must, I wouldn't recommend a RAID card for WHS. I'd simply use a motherboard with an ICRxR controller (which is what I use for Windows Server 2008).

Edit: A RAID controller like the ones that I suggested is required if Online Capacity Expansion is a must.
m
l
June 24, 2010 7:36:12 PM

GhislainG said:
Based on your reply, may I ask what motherboard you have or will get and if it has on-board RAID like ICH10R, then why not use it? It obviously won't be as fast as a dedicated RAID controller with BBU, but it's as fast as RAID controllers without a cache. Unless it's a must, I wouldn't recommend a RAID card for WHS. I'd simply use a motherboard with an ICRxR controller (which is what I use for Windows Server 2008).

Edit: A RAID controller like the ones that I suggested is required if Online Capacity Expansion is a must.

It's a ASUS P5GDC-V Deluxe. I'm using IDE HDD and optical so I can keep my on-board SATA for two hot-swap bays and an eSATA, I'll also be using it for fast and easy cloning and data transfers. I guess, the way my brain works, it just seemed like it would be best to keep the RAID setup separate, or should I be looking at it differently?
m
l
June 24, 2010 7:50:11 PM

GhislainG said:

I'd like a RAID 5 set up, but it's just simple file, resource, and storage/sharing.
m
l

Best solution

a c 84 G Storage
June 24, 2010 8:18:17 PM

Since it's a server, are you using the Intel GMA for display or did you add a PCIe GPU? If the PCIe x16 slot is available, then you can buy a good RAID controller; otherwise you need one that fits in a PCIe x1 (if you can find one) or PCI slot. Since the on-board ICH6R doesn't support RAID5, you have no other options.

If RAID performance isn't that important, then buying a newer motherboard with an ICH9R or an ICR10R might be less expensive. What CPU do you have?
June 24, 2010 8:32:27 PM

Right now I have a 3.2GHz P4 and 2GB RAM, this all started to grow from extra parts I had. Nope just using the on board video and thought that that PCIe X16 could be put to good use. Your giving me really good things to think about and are shedding some light on what I want to do. Let me ask you this, would it be better to get a cheap SATA card that supported hot-swap and just use the onboard RAID, really not looking to S/O the MB but will if it's the best for what I want to do?
m
l
July 1, 2010 4:08:21 AM

Best answer selected by scooter69.
m
l
a c 84 G Storage
July 1, 2010 1:08:27 PM

scooter69 said:
Right now I have a 3.2GHz P4 and 2GB RAM, this all started to grow from extra parts I had. Nope just using the on board video and thought that that PCIe X16 could be put to good use. Your giving me really good things to think about and are shedding some light on what I want to do. Let me ask you this, would it be better to get a cheap SATA card that supported hot-swap and just use the onboard RAID, really not looking to S/O the MB but will if it's the best for what I want to do?
I've never used a cheap SATA controller as I never had the need for one. I presume that you're loking for something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... If you use the on-board RAID, make sure that you get the latest drivers from Intel.
m
l
November 11, 2010 4:57:31 PM

I am trying to use an add-in raid card on that very same MB. Did you end up plugging a RAID card into the PCIe-x16 slot, and if so how did that work? I'm trying to do almost the same thing (spare P5GDC-V Deluxe, WHS, but in my case increasing SATA HDD count from 4 to 6 or even 8). But the board doesn't seem to recognize the SATA card in the x16 slot.
m
l
!