pmacdonald

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
I've been using the same desk for around 8 years now. It has a very cramped keyboard/mouse pullout tray. I am looking for a REASONABLY priced computer GAMING desk. Meaning that I want plenty of room for a large keyboard and mouse setup. I will be using a 22" monitor aswell. I'd like the desk to be as ergonomic as possible. I will also have a 5.1 speaker setup.

P1010020.JPG

I like this setup, it's a jerker desk but they aren't made anymore and the new ones only support 19" monitors and below.

This isn't the only style of gaming desk I like so feel free to recommend any style. When I say style I mean layout. I won't be needing a corner desk, just a rectangular one for the desk type.

Thanks in advance!

pmacdonald

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
Here are some other desks that I really like aswell:

Desk.jpg

100_0981.jpg

This is a desk that's currently for sale that caught my eye:

73000_PE189255_S3.jpg

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/40111124

I'm not sure if it is deep enough though...I don't want to sit too close to a 22" monitor all day.

82078_PE207481_S3.jpg

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60111123

I like this desk because of the shelves also. I could drop down the middle one and put the monitor there just like the one in the first post. But it says it can only support up to a 19" monitor. Yet I've seen many pictures of the Jerker for instance that has 30" monitors...and suggestions?

tigerwraith

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
I got a table from staples back in March thats about 42/46 inches wide with a keyboard try thats wide enough for a gaming keyboard, mouse, and gamepad. I cant find it listed anymore to give you an image of it. There are a few companys out there that sell custom gaming desks, ie http://www.thev1chair.com/ is one i did a google search for just looking for gaming computer desks. CPU mag had something listed that is setup for people with ch products for flight sims. Push comes to shove if your pretty handy and can get the supplies and have the proper tools you could always build your own, or find something that you could fix up to do what you want.

pmacdonald

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
I'm not looking for anything like the v1chair. Building my own isn't an option at the moment. Good gaming desks are generally not worded as a gaming desk..ie: a large surface with a lot of use able space for a large monitor, mic, gaming pad, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc... It wouldn't be a bad thing if the monitor was positioned a little higher than the keyboard/mouse either.

Any links would be appreciated.

mcmonsterkill

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Thy only support 19" crt monitors because the bigger the screen gets the deeper the monitor measures. You could put a big flat-panel on there but you may still be sitting to close.

I just got that brown wooden desk pictured in the 2nd post. It is the gemini from staples. Cost me $70. It is a tad flimsy and a real pain to put together, but other than that its great. It has another section to it that makes a L-shape. I'm really happy with it and for $70 it was a steal IMO. The add-on piece is supposed to be the computer area but it has a pull out keyboard tray which is a big no no for gaming IMO. I use the flat "desk" area for my setup just like in the picture.

I also actually ordered that Fredrik collection desk from IKEA.com. If you dont live near an IKEA forget about it. They wanted $240 to ship the thing?!?!?!

pmacdonald

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
Yea there's no way I'm gonna pay $240 to ship that. That's more than the desk.

I don't want a flimsy desk TBH. If it ever falls with my computer on it then I'd freak. Any other recommendations?

mcmonsterkill

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I may have overstated that a bit. It doesn't feel flimsy under normal use conditions(playing video games). But the side to side rigidity isn't all there if you push on it. When you've got it fully built into the L-shape its only a little noticeable. I have my comp and monitor on it and im not worried about it falling over, but I won't be making a habit of sitting/leaning on my desk either.

They had one on display at my local staple's. I guess you could go test it out if they do at yours.

Other than those 2 desks you mentioned I didn't really see anything else I was interested in when I was looking for one. Good luck.

pmacdonald

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
The IKEA is defidently not an option with that shipping price. The cheapest good quality desk is what I'm after. The Staple's desk looks nice BUT I don't need a corner desk. I'll have nothing to do with that other part so that's out of the question aswell.

Any other recommendations you can think of?

pmacdonald

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
I've had no luck in this quest for a new desk. I thought this would be one of the easiest choices. I'm just looking for a large surface area, even a plain table with sturdy legs and a decent look for instance. IKEA offers some at very low prices where I could build my own like the one in the first post but the shipping costs are supposedly rediculous.

Another option which was in the first post:
100_0981.jpg

Is actually for sale at Staples right now for a good price http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p4_Z-Line-Gemini-Collection_87094_Business_Supplies_2_10051_SC2:CG33:CL161508:SS998674

The problem with this is that I have no room for an L-Desk. Since almost all pull-out keyboard trays are too small a lot of people like in the picture above used the other side of the desk for their computer setup. The monitor looks great on the shelf.

If you guys know of any place where I can find a similar single rectangular desk or a large, good looking, table top then that would be great.

tigerwraith

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
My ex-girlfriend got that desk and the keyboard try is harly big enough for a full size keyboard. IMHO its not a very good desk.

pmacdonald

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
I get that if you read my entire post. I explained that just about all pull out keyboard trays are too small for a gaming size keyboad and mousepad.

I am looking at the other half of that desk... If you can comment on the other half then great, if not, then I already know what you stated above.

If I did get that desk, I wouldn't even install the keyboard pullout and I wouldn't even connect the two desks. I would probably put it in a different part of the room and use it as a study desk. If you could comment on the quality of the desk then that'd be great.

Does anyone have any links to a better option?

tigerwraith

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
If put togeather correctly its ok, not sure how long it will last though. The materials that are in the kit are pretty cheep to me, to me its not worth the 120. You could get alot better for that kind of money. Im not sure how far away you want your moniter but to be honest IIRC if you were to put a moniter on the raised portion and used the desk top for your keyboard you prob would be about 3ft away from the moniter. Go to staples, Office Depot, Office Max or any office supply store that has their desks kits already built and try them out that should give you a good idea of what to get. Personally I thought the Saturn desk that I got was going to be great, but after about a year of having it, I have alot of unused space with it. Im thinking of either making some mods to the desk so that it will suit my needs or building my own. If you get a desk that has a specific space for a moniter make sure you know the size of your moniter or it may not fit where your planing to put it.