Sign in with
Your question

Gateway FX6800-01E: S/PDIF Enable???? How

Last response: in Motherboards
May 13, 2009 3:29:28 PM

Hey Guys,
I trying to enable my S/PDIF from my motherboard but I can't find where to enable it?

I purchase a s/pdif to coax/toslink bracket on ebay like this one:
]

When I started up my computer I was expecting my device manager to find the new hardware but it didn't.

I've tried the following:
- Updated the audio drivers
- Check my audio setting in my Realtek HD audio manager (no setting to enable spdif)
- Checked my BIOS (no setting to enable onboard spdif)
- Updated my BIOS (no setting to enable onboard spdif)
- Check my device manager for unknown devices (non were showing)

Can you provide me with other idea what my issue could be?
November 29, 2009 4:52:36 PM

Did you (or anyone) ever figure this out? I recently purchased an FX6800-01E and have the same issue trying to find a way to enable S/PDIF. The manual shows that the Grey Jack should be a Multi-jack and carry spdif, but I have found no way to enable it. The best I've been able to do is HDMI via the Radeon 4850.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2009 10:24:01 PM

SquireX said:
Did you (or anyone) ever figure this out? I recently purchased an FX6800-01E and have the same issue trying to find a way to enable S/PDIF. The manual shows that the Grey Jack should be a Multi-jack and carry spdif, but I have found no way to enable it. The best I've been able to do is HDMI via the Radeon 4850.

Ok, did a bit more searching and here is something I found which you may find useful.

Adding a S/PDIF Bracket

Here is another post from later in the same thread which you may find interesting.

I hope this fits the bill. :) 

BTW...... Didn't think to check eBay at the time.

bdelariva said:
Hey Guys,
I trying to enable my S/PDIF from my motherboard but I can't find where to enable it?

I purchase a s/pdif to coax/toslink bracket on ebay like this one:
]

When I started up my computer I was expecting my device manager to find the new hardware but it didn't.

I've tried the following:
- Updated the audio drivers
- Check my audio setting in my Realtek HD audio manager (no setting to enable spdif)
- Checked my BIOS (no setting to enable onboard spdif)
- Updated my BIOS (no setting to enable onboard spdif)
- Check my device manager for unknown devices (non were showing)

Can you provide me with other idea what my issue could be?

I'f it's a simple matter of a device driver, just adding the connection bracket won't do anything. You need to physically connect the cable/s and turn the connected device on for the S/PDIF to be discovered.

If anything, what will probably happen is you'll get a little pop up notification above the system tray saying that a S/PDIF device has been connected and when you open either the Volume Mixer or the RealTek HD Audio Manager, you should see it there, but only when connected. When you turn off the connected device, then it'll disappear.

Perhaps the thread I linked to above will be of more help?
March 9, 2012 9:11:56 PM

I realize this thread is old, but I am having the same problem. My manual says one of the jacks is S/PDIF, but when I connected an optical cable to it, I got nothing. The strangest thing is that the computer tells me I have HDMI audio out, but I don't. I'm using the 6 channel analog out, and I'd love to utilize digital audio. I see the brackets mentioned above, but I'm not sure where that would plug into. Thanks!
!