Sign in with
Your question

BFG 285gtx oc running hot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 24, 2009 4:51:59 PM

Hello all!

So i finally got my hands to this new build i made, but it crashes after a while playing or trying to run 3dmark.
I already tryed "cpu burn in" and it run just fine with all four cores loaded.

I'm guessing it have to be either the graphic card or psu.

What should i do/try next? so i would know for sure..

My guess would be the graphic card, cause its pushing so much heat, but i know its overclocked (factory) so it doesnt mean it broken or anything.

My computer specs are
- Core i7 920 2.6Ghz
- Asus P6T
- Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz 6Gb
- BFG 285 gtx oc
- Thermaltake 650W Q-Fan

My english is bad, i know.

More about : bfg 285gtx running hot

January 24, 2009 4:55:01 PM

get GPU z and realtemps. Check temperatures.

I doubt its the card, that card runs cooler than most cards out...

Check all ur temps and let us know.

BTw what do u mean crashes? Does it get out? Do you get any error msgs? or jut back to desktop? does the program close?

:) 
January 24, 2009 5:00:08 PM

Ill try that next thanks.

Oh and it crashes like um.. no blue screen, no errors or anything just goes black and restart.
Same effect if i press restart middle of game.

So i write soon what gpuz and realtemps showed.
Related resources
January 24, 2009 5:12:01 PM

If it restarts it could be RAM, mobo CPU.

I'm not too familiar with the i7 systems, usually I would say check your ram (which could work) or your northbridge which id on't think does:) 

I would see what else causes these...is it just 3dmark? If could also be driver related:p 

I'll try googling when I'm home from work, I didn't grab an i7 system yet, so my knowledge is a little off;p
a c 177 U Graphics card
January 24, 2009 5:20:48 PM

Could be a bad memory module or the CPU running hot.
As Liquid says check your temperatures, if they are good, get onto the net and download Memtest and run that to check you system memory.
January 24, 2009 5:29:41 PM

Definently not cpu i am really sure about this one. (Overclock it to 2,66Ghz ->3,5Ghz and run cpu burn in again and it wont fall)

I have GTA IV, Company of heroes/Opposing fronts and futuremark installed and i cant run any of these for long.

Tryed gpuz and realtemps just after crash (played on windowed mode) it showed 47c to cpu and 65 to the gpu.

Trying memtest next so i can cross that off. =)
January 24, 2009 6:55:55 PM

Ok memtest run for an hour and no errors there..

So i guess its either mobo,graphic card or PSU..

Hmm what next?
January 24, 2009 8:52:20 PM

I would leave mem test longer than that...it took my cousin almost 14 hours to finally fail the mem test....same with CPU burn....run it for a qhile..

65 for GPU is high:S 3 of my 280s ran around 56-60 idle:S thats seems kinda high, but still nothing that should be causing problems.

January 24, 2009 9:18:06 PM

Ok i see what you mean, but why wouldnt the cpu fail under 5min on "cpu bur in" like it does in game.. if it is the cpus fault.. :heink: 
Same goes for mem.

But mainboard? I never heard of them failing.. at least never happend for me. This could be tricky..

But still iam thinking it has to be graphic card or PSU and something tells me that its the PSU, i dont know why.
Really annoiyng when this happens and on brand new build..
January 24, 2009 9:38:44 PM

So in game it fails quick than in CPU burn? That is weird, but i doubt a video card can cause a restart unless its a driver problem.

I would still give it a try for longer...u have nothing to loose.

Also try to reinstall all the drivers again...video card...motherboard etc.
January 24, 2009 9:45:47 PM

Ok i try that.

And to clear this thing here. I can run cpu burn and memtest at least an hour with no problem, havent tested longer yet. If i start a game computer shutsdown in ~5min playing. Gta iv, Coh or 3dMark.. Tomorrow i try intalling mass effect and far cry 2 too.

Well i start reinstalling drivers then. cheers :p 
January 24, 2009 9:54:13 PM

K keep us posted.
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2009 11:12:06 PM

What PSU are you using? Sounds like when the gpu is stressed, it's overloading the psu and causing a restart. To test the video card for errors, use "ATITool" and have it scan for artifacts. To test your cpu, use prime95 and run small ffts for 12h+.
January 24, 2009 11:21:06 PM

he's already doing cpu burn lol

The wattage is more than enough for the 280 GTx I checked specs on that 1, but it might be faulty.

Also make sure that the CPU is downclocked so that we can get real results for the problem, I forgot to add that.

Make sure everything is stock, CPU, video card everything.
January 25, 2009 12:10:39 AM

Freshly intalled drivers... fail. :pfff:  (Also tried different nvidia drivers for graphic card)

Oh and i dont clock gpu, cause its already factory clocked. Also it would lose warranty.

So i do what now with downclocked settings?
January 25, 2009 12:13:28 AM

run tests. with out the CPU overclock see if the system is stable. If that persists ...try to get another PSU to test out the system...and ur next thing would be RMA the card.
BUt I don't think its the card.

Run the Memtest overnight if you can and after CPUburn, with the downclocked settings and everything on Stock.
January 25, 2009 12:32:22 AM

Cpu burn starts see you in 6hrs iam going to sleep anyways. =)
January 25, 2009 12:57:49 AM

kk well its 10:00here so I'll talk to u 2morrow:) 
January 25, 2009 7:04:16 AM

Good morning!

Processor stress test was succes! No errors after 6hrs of pure pain. :) 

I also contacted BFG support already.. Its a shame i dont have another psu to try on, just to be sure.

btw 47c was highest temp on stock processor at night.

Next up is memtesting then.. (longer this time) :ange: 
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2009 7:42:28 AM

Set everything manually (no AUTO BS), and download and run Prime95 (latest version for multi-threads), and ATi Tool and run both at the same time for atleast an hour and see what it finds.
January 25, 2009 8:02:02 AM

""Set everything manually (no AUTO BS)"" -What?

Ok prime95 and atitool testing next then.
January 25, 2009 8:02:48 AM

whats the temp of the card during Load Like playing games and such? im guessing a power issue here with your power supply. Since your not getting artifacts Or A BSOD. And your passing all other tests.
January 25, 2009 8:20:21 AM

Pent5ht - 65c was last time i checked.

Cant run atitool at all. When i start it says some driver is missing and it cant communicate with my craphic card correctly.
Well i press ok and continue. It starts i press view 3d view it flips i press artifacts it flips... =/

I continue with prime95 then..
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2009 8:41:10 AM

MoZo said:
Pent5ht - 65c was last time i checked.

Cant run atitool at all. When i start it says some driver is missing and it cant communicate with my craphic card correctly.
Well i press ok and continue. It starts i press view 3d view it flips i press artifacts it flips... =/

I continue with prime95 then..

If ATItool wont run then theres an issue - reseat that video card, run driver cleaner and reinstall the latest nvidia drivers off there website and see how it goes.
January 25, 2009 8:55:36 AM

I think its not that serious, its seems to "grey out" overclocking options wich is fine by me. The thing is when i try artifacts or the 3d thing in atitool comp crashes.

btw Prime 95 running just fine over an hour for now and its at 60c at the moment.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2009 8:59:18 AM

MoZo said:
I think its not that serous its seems to "grey out" overclocking options wich is fine by me. But the thing is when i try artifacts or the 3d thing comp crashes.

yeah because when you select "scan for artifacts" it throws it into 3D mode and hammers the card - rubbish cards will artifact after ~10 minutes, faulty cards will do it after a few seconds at best etc, if it doesnt pass it its not acceptable and something is wrong

i repeat - driver cleaner, reseat the card and reinstall the latest drivers from nvidias website

if that doesnt work something else is wrong - psu to power it (cable or power supply its self) or the card its self is faulty - if you have something else to swap out and try (video or psu) then try it.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2009 9:02:05 AM

oh and show 3D view is similar to scan etc - both hammer the card and all hardware should run it AOK, even Intel/SiS/VIA integrated video etc (not the older ones).
January 25, 2009 9:10:11 AM

"faulty cards will do it after a few seconds at best etc"
Well i think thats all i needed to hear. or is it?

I could try it on my bigbrothers 8800GTX? but he wasnt so happy about it.. dunno why.. but hes not here right now =)
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2009 9:35:53 AM

MoZo said:
"faulty cards will do it after a few seconds at best etc"
Well i think thats all i needed to hear. or is it?

I could try it on my bigbrothers 8800GTX? but he wasnt so happy about it.. dunno why.. but hes not here right now =)

as i said try reseating it and at the same time making sure that card has all the power cables going to it and plugged in etc

otherwise yes that would help testing the system with another video card
January 25, 2009 10:30:04 AM

I have 8800GTX in and atitool is being running for 10min already..
Soooo.. i "guess" its pretty clear now that 285 gtx is the reason here why comp is restarting..
January 25, 2009 10:43:32 AM

sounds like bad memory on the card
January 25, 2009 10:55:26 AM

Well whatever it is i am sending it back now.
Hopefully i get a new one!

Thank you everyone for helping me! :love: 
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2009 5:46:29 AM

ah good stuff! and trusty atitool finds problems pretty quick :D 

i think THG needs a sticky of "tools to test hardware" and people seem to forget the good old system build rules - build test and run in before overclock etc.
January 29, 2009 1:11:27 PM

L1qu1d said:
run tests. with out the CPU overclock see if the system is stable. If that persists ...try to get another PSU to test out the system...and ur next thing would be RMA the card.

BUt I don't think its the card.

You said it. :ange: 

Its been shipped back and they said theres no error/problems in it..

So am i too hasty if i say it has to be the PSU?
I cant test it cause i dont have another one, but if i buy one and its not the problem... i dont know what is..

And also what would it be? I was thinking Corsair 850W.
January 29, 2009 1:24:52 PM

if its not the PSU, then you work your way to ram...then motherboard...and last Iw ould say CPU, but I don't think its the CPU either...it might be the motherboard's sensors or parts.

Try a new PSU, if that doesn't work your best bet is RMA board or Memory.

I HIGHLY doubt its the CPU. Usually a restart means the motherboard detects overheating...too much overclock or a fried motherboard (RAM or CPU can follow the fried rule 2).
January 29, 2009 1:54:07 PM

L1qu1d said:
if its not the PSU, then you work your way to ram...then motherboard...and last Iw ould say CPU, but I don't think its the CPU either...it might be the motherboard's sensors or parts.

Try a new PSU, if that doesn't work your best bet is RMA board or Memory.

I HIGHLY doubt its the CPU. Usually a restart means the motherboard detects overheating...too much overclock or a fried motherboard (RAM or CPU can follow the fried rule 2).

Well i totally agree with you in cpu cant be it. I also doubt the memory.. should there be blue screen if it is the memory?

Motherboard is the only possible thing that i can think of, but ive been wrong before so.. :pt1cable: 
January 29, 2009 3:05:06 PM

well I dunno if you get a blue screen for memory or not...for me it just wouldn't go past post.

Give those a try and let me kno.

I'm going to school and I'll be on here and there, but I'll be on for sure 7 hours from now:) 
January 29, 2009 5:13:38 PM

Well cant right now or at least before weekend cause its still in mail. (Card and PSU)
So next week ill update the situation.
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2009 5:53:55 PM

make sure Windows is set to show the bluescreen instead of restarting, which may be why its not displaying a bluescreen

Click the Start button> Right Click on My Computer>Click Properties>Left Side Click Advanced System Settings>image below. (click to enlarge)

Those instructions are for Vista, XP is similar, minus the Vista System Properties Window.
January 29, 2009 6:39:15 PM

cliffro said:
make sure Windows is set to show the bluescreen instead of restarting, which may be why its not displaying a bluescreen

Click the Start button> Right Click on My Computer>Click Properties>Left Side Click Advanced System Settings>image below. (click to enlarge)
]http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9485/restartdc9.th.jpg

Those instructions are for Vista, XP is similar, minus the Vista System Properties Window.

Oh wow! Thanks that was all new to me. :o 
And i tought i started to know everything about vista already..
January 29, 2009 6:55:28 PM

LMAo I do that as soon as I reinstalled didn't even think about that :p  haha I thought most ppl do that. :p 

nv4.dll is like 30% of BSOD. Nvidia Chipsets...good thing its not your case:D 
January 29, 2009 7:47:29 PM

Well but anyways it doesnt change anything, i think..
(It does feel more windows now with bluescreens on it)

Like i said i already tested cpu and memorys enough.. or did i?.. seriously i did.. =P
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2009 7:01:26 PM

What it does do is "possibly" give you a better idea of whether its a driver or Hardware issue, you just have to pay attention to the Error.

When I OC and don't raise the Vcore enough it always tells me I had a "Hardware Failure" so I know it was my OC not something else.

It really can be helpful.
January 30, 2009 8:39:55 PM

True but I7 920 goes 2.4Ghz to ~3.6Ghz without voltage changes. =)
(which why i like this one)
Memorys i always change to 1:1.
And i dont OC my Gpu if you mean that, thats why i bought factory clocked.

And yes i have this page on "favorites"
http://www.eukhost.com/forums/f15/troubleshooting-windows-blue-screen-death-errors-5608/

But yea, ive look in to the problem when i get the components back next week and the new psu. :hello: 
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2009 2:43:24 AM

I wasn't implying that it was due to Overclocking, atleast I didn't intend to. I was just using it as an example.
January 31, 2009 4:05:34 PM

Sounds to me you have a power failure (only enough to start the card but when its starts to process in youre higher marget apps and higher loading pause's for games- it fails)

One question:? did you follow the install manual correctly , also did you use the disc drivers as they most stable. And last but not least -----> Did you install the power cuplinks correctly (ie, 6 + 8pin adapater connected to a 6 pin flop). Make sure you have cabled it correctly. And all screws around the FAN are correctly tightened and in place (some times they arrive with some missing brav!).

Best advice~ www.overclockers.co.uk -----> powersupply area *order a good higher ampage psu*

If my advice was pleasing and 100% helped in anyway, please UP my rep. Peace in joy you're new rig setup brav!
January 31, 2009 4:33:14 PM

Iam thinking similiar stuff, about the psu.

manual?.. no just kidding of course i did.

Couldnt find that powersupply area. I take a look there if i happens to find it.

Tryed to register if i could use search or something there, but now i cant view it cause iam in line to get activated.. =/
January 31, 2009 4:45:07 PM

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=7...

On the left hand side you will notice a panel select manuafactuer, for a companys set of power supply .

Also if you dont use the left side panel , if you cant see it, it will automaticaly using my link take you to the week deals for power supplys page. Enjoy

But if you want me to recommend you one it would be this :-

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA...

It will be the best thing you've had !!!
January 31, 2009 4:56:47 PM

Ew thermaltake PSU... Why 1500 watts? I have 1000 wats and I ran 3 280s. He has 1 285 GTX that doesn't drain as much.

Thermaltake in MY opinon isn't a recommended company for PSU...for me it would be Corsair, High Antecs, enermax, PC power cooling and Cooler Master.

I wouldn't go thermaltake unless it was a low end PSU for low end system
January 31, 2009 6:22:04 PM

Holy...! =DD

1500W must be if ihad something like 3to4Gpu plus 18hdd:s.

I ordered Corsairs TX 750W.
Corsair seems to have such a good ratings all the tests i was looking.

Or? Its a weekend so i do have time to change still if you know better one.
!