halcyon

Splendid
This morning while doing some re-wiring of my i7 920's Noctua cooler I switched off my PSU (before I started) (its a ThermalTake ToughPower 750 that is ~1 month old) , and when finished, switched it back on (by the on/off switch on the PSU itself). ...then went to power up the rig and...nothing. No mobo lights on my Asus P6T Deluxe...nothing.

Is my inference correct in that the PSU has likely died or do you think there's something else I might want to check.

I try not to ask for such advice but I'm a little disappointed this morning. Thank goodness I have another good rig.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Just make sure all of the power plugins are in the right place, such as the 8-pin for your CPU, and make sure your switches are all plugged in correctly to the mobo. Guess that's all I gotz for now :)

Yeah, see if you knocked your case power switch wire out. Oh, and if you made a BIOS setting to turn on your PC with the mouse or keyboard, that likely won't work the first time after a complete power-down (e.g. that's how my IP35 Pro is; must use case switch after complete power-down)

mamw93

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
it's a psu problem. if it was the motherboard or processor then you would get something but only for a couple of seconds.

Is my inference correct in that the PSU has likely died or do you think there's something else I might want to check.

Check all the cables connecting to the MB as well as to the hardware including SATA cables, case fans and front panel wiring. You may have knocked something loose inadvertently while rewiring the HSF causing the system to short out and not power on.

halcyon

Splendid

Badge, and everyone else. Thx. You were right, after a bit of prayer for wisdom, I was granted some. After checking everything again, it appears that the 24-pin PSU connector was knocked slightly loose. Jiggling (is that a word?) it slightly fixed the issue and voila, rig fires back up as always.

Thx.

I have a lot of faith in ThermalTake PSUs and Asus Motherboards...would've stunk if one of them would have died on me after such a short time. Thx again all.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Jiggling ?? that connection should be rock solid and no amount of casual brushing should be able to jiggle it loose,in fact when trying to take it out it has to be released with some difficulty as it has a lock in tab,check it out..:)

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Yeah I've worried about breaking some motherboards on several installs I've done. those suckers can be insainley hard to press in and remove at times. If it was sitting in loosely i wouldn't be so worried about my psu as worried about my system have been fried from a loose power connector. Your damn lucky it still works. If the 24 pin connector was jiggled and all of a sudden it works i would replace the psu or if you have the technical wherewithal and or a friend does you can replace the connector. If it was physically loose in the slot and not locked down under the tab thats different and you need to make sure its fully snapped into place before creep causes it to short out your system and fry everything.

halcyon

Splendid
I'll keep an eye on it, to see how it acts in the coming weeks. I'm trying to hold out until Asus releases the dual 1366 mobo's before I upgrade my mobo and PSU again.