Sign in with
Your question

Asus P6T fails to detect SATA HD

Last response: in Motherboards
May 13, 2009 5:42:48 PM

Hello everyone

I built a new box at the start of the year and so far have had no hardware issues, up until the other day. I came home from work to find that my mobo was no longer recognizing that a HD was plugged in.

My BIOS shows only an ATAPI DVD rom plugged into SATA 1.

Trying to eliminate possible causes I tried the following:
- I checked the connections to verify nothing came loose, it all appeared ok.
- I checked the cables themselves by using the power cable and data cable hooked to the DVD, and that did not solve the problem
- I plugged into different SATA ports in order to confirm the port hadn't failed.
- At this point I figured it was the HD itself that had failed, so I purchased and hooked up a new one, but that didn't work either.

At this point I can think of these possible remaining scenarios:
- The original HD did fail, and the new HD was defective (unlikely)
- The mobo is broken in that it can't detect SATA HDs but can still detect SATA DVD (seems unusual)
- There is something wrong with my BIOS configuration

Any ideas on how to solve (or further diagnose) my problem would be appreciated!
May 13, 2009 7:09:54 PM

try a known working ahrd drive to see if it gets detected. if not, then its probably the board.
May 13, 2009 10:33:06 PM

is it plugged into the 2 orange ports or one of the 4 red ones?, if it's plugged into the organe ones it won't they're SAS drives (not quite sure what they are), try plugging it into one of the red ports instead. aside from that I don't know
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2009 11:20:16 PM

What are the symptoms if you dont go into bios but let it post? Does it hang at POST trying to detect the drive or does it give the standard "Reboot and select proper boot device blah blah " msg?

You can try resetting CMOS, it wont hurt.
May 14, 2009 2:06:24 AM

is it plugged into the 2 orange ports or one of the 4 red ones?, if it's plugged into the organe ones it won't they're SAS drives (not quite sure what they are), try plugging it into one of the red ports instead. aside from that I don't know said:
is it plugged into the 2 orange ports or one of the 4 red ones?, if it's plugged into the organe ones it won't they're SAS drives (not quite sure what they are), try plugging it into one of the red ports instead. aside from that I don't know

no, it's plugged into one of the normal 'red' ports

MaDMagik said:
What are the symptoms if you dont go into bios but let it post? Does it hang at POST trying to detect the drive or does it give the standard "Reboot and select proper boot device blah blah " msg?

You can try resetting CMOS, it wont hurt.

Yeah I get the 'reboot and select proper boot device' message.
Is resetting CMOS the same as resetting the CMOS RTC RAM (which the manual describes)? If so, I will try it. If not, please let me know how to do so (or point me at a resource describing the process)

Thanks for the replies so far!
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2009 1:16:43 PM

Yes, thats what it is. Like I said you can give it a shot although its quite unlikely that its going to help(and bear in mind that all bios settings will be reset to their defaults so any overclock settings etc will be lost). BTW: when you press power, does the HDD spin up? If you cannot hear it than just touch it, it should vibrate slightly.

But he best way to troubleshoot it is to go with chinh_n`s suggestion and try some hdd you definately know that works/try your hdds on other machine.

"The original HD did fail, and the new HD was defective (unlikely)" - it is unlikely, but a friend of mine had exact situation once.
May 14, 2009 3:19:16 PM

MaDMagik said:
Yes, thats what it is. Like I said you can give it a shot although its quite unlikely that its going to help(and bear in mind that all bios settings will be reset to their defaults so any overclock settings etc will be lost). BTW: when you press power, does the HDD spin up? If you cannot hear it than just touch it, it should vibrate slightly.

Ok, I'll try the CMOS thing tonight. I'll check if the HDD is actually spinning also.

But he best way to troubleshoot it is to go with chinh_n`s suggestion and try some hdd you definately know that works/try your hdds on other machine.

"The original HD did fail, and the new HD was defective (unlikely)" - it is unlikely, but a friend of mine had exact situation once. said:

"The original HD did fail, and the new HD was defective (unlikely)" - it is unlikely, but a friend of mine had exact situation once.

Yeah I know this situation is possible so I'm not ruling it out completely. Unfortunately I don't have another machine/HDD at home to do the testing to verify the functionality of the two I'm working with.
May 25, 2009 12:52:47 AM

This happen to me... just one day.. i cannot go in my windows... it say detecting... sata..... bla..bla....

I bought new one .... samething.. soo i just do many stuff like reset the board.. and more stuff now.. it works okies...back... i dont know what i did.
!