Three Motherboards, same issue.

Alright, I got an issue here. I work at a computer store, and we're having a mind stumping issue here.

This is the setup (minus the motherboards)

BFG 550W powersupply.
GeForce 8800 GTS Alpha Dog edition.
2 GB total 4x 512 RAM OCZ pc2-5400
AMD Phenom CPU x2 (not simultaneous, two different CPU's to exhaust our options),


These are the motherboards we've tested the setup with (changing the ram accordingly so it would be compatible):

ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe x2
ASUS M2N4-SLI

We have septuple checked each connection and every configuration possible.

The System will not post...

Is there a known issue with these mother boards or could it be something else?
21 answers Last reply
More about three motherboards issue
  1. endolitematrix said:
    Alright, I got an issue here. I work at a computer store, and we're having a mind stumping issue here.

    This is the setup (minus the motherboards)

    BFG 550W powersupply.
    GeForce 8800 GTS Alpha Dog edition.
    2 GB total 4x 512 RAM OCZ pc2-5400
    AMD Phenom CPU x2 (not simultaneous, two different CPU's to exhaust our options),


    These are the motherboards we've tested the setup with (changing the ram accordingly so it would be compatible):

    ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe x2
    ASUS M2N4-SLI

    We have septuple checked each connection and every configuration possible.

    The System will not post...

    Is there a known issue with these mother boards or could it be something else?



    Have you verified the power suppy is functional on all (+5, +12, -12, +3.3v) outputs?
  2. Have you tried a less powerful video card or with ho video card? The M3N has onboard video right?
  3. Onboard doesnt post either. Have tried that.
    Just did a powersupply test. All lights go up except for the -5
  4. We just tried an 850w, it is doing the samething.
  5. CPU fan plugged in? It's got to be connected to the motherboard jack labeled "CPU Fan" or the system won't start.

    Which processor, exactly?
  6. The CPU fan is plugged in.
  7. AMD athlon 64 X2
  8. Quote:
    The CPU fan is plugged in.


    Understood - but, it must be plugged in to the specific motherboard pins labeled "CPU Fan", not to one of the other fan ports or a power supply connector.
  9. Unplug power supply from wall outlet.

    Remove CMOS backup battery from motherboard.

    Remove all but one strip of RAM.

    Remove add-on video card (if testing the M3N-HT with onboard video).

    Reinstall the CMOS battery (having waited at least 60 seconds since removing it).

    Plug power supply back in to wall outlet.

    Try booting.
  10. yup yup, its in the correct spot. We just double checked
  11. okay, we'll try that now
  12. Also, check to ensure there are no "extra" support posts installed in the case under the motherboard.

    When upgrading to a new motherboard once, I hadn't noticed that the new board did not require one of the centrally located posts which was used by the old board. Turns out that extra post sat directly on exposed circuitry and caused a short-to-ground which kept the board from powering up.
  13. Any beeps? Does it get past the one beep and the hangs or does it not even make it to any beeps at all?
  14. i'll check those two things now, and keep you guys updated. Sorry for the delayed response, i 'm workin on like 20 computers right now
  15. 55795642 said:
    Unplug power supply from wall outlet.

    Remove CMOS backup battery from motherboard.

    Remove all but one strip of RAM.

    Remove add-on video card (if testing the M3N-HT with onboard video).

    Reinstall the CMOS battery (having waited at least 60 seconds since removing it).

    Plug power supply back in to wall outlet.

    Try booting.


    no luck
  16. hundredislandsboy said:
    Any beeps? Does it get past the one beep and the hangs or does it not even make it to any beeps at all?



    the computer doesnt have a speaker, but i'll see if i can get one from a junked machine we have here.
  17. Every modern motherboard has a small piezoelectric "speaker" capable of producing system beeps.

    It seems as though you are not even getting those.

    I'm tapped out; can't think of anything else other than simple compatabilty (CPU/RAM/Motherboard) issues.
  18. I have 3 motherboards that do the same thing. I think they are DEAD. Do you use ground straps? Are you VERY careful handling them? I think that's where I f'd up...you can't handle them like a toy :(
  19. Hmmmmm..I would like to suggest that you try with 2x1 ram not 4x1,some mobo's do not play well with 4x1 of ram....
    Failing the above,,then,,it is time to go back to basics,to wit: video[on board] one stick of ram [any size,that works] and a floppy drive and of course a [which you seem to have] decent psu ,,any mobo that will not successfully boot to a floppy must be considered sanfu'ed...:)
  20. 55795642 said:
    Also, check to ensure there are no "extra" support posts installed in the case under the motherboard.

    When upgrading to a new motherboard once, I hadn't noticed that the new board did not require one of the centrally located posts which was used by the old board. Turns out that extra post sat directly on exposed circuitry and caused a short-to-ground which kept the board from powering up.



    I had a similar problem with my asus p5q pro although it wasnt a ''extra'' posts that was installed, but apparently it was making it unable to boot
    my solution was.. remove the specific screw that went in it. Took me 2 days to figure it out lol.. been running smooth since a year ago
  21. Ran thourough tests.
    Through luck of the Draw. Literally all of the motherboards were bad.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards