GA-MA790X-UD4 boot issues

Twiz

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Hi, new builder here and I've just put together a new system consisting of the following;

1GB XFX HD4870 XXX DDR5 775MHz
640GB WD SATA2 WD6401AALS 7200
AMD PHENOM2 X3 720 BE SAM3 CPU
ANTEC THREE HUNDRED CASE
Corsair TwinX 4GB DDR2 8500 C5
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4 Mobo
LG GH22NS40 22X SATA BLK OEM
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU 120mm
650W TX Corsair PSU

The problem i've got was first experienced when I was trying to install vista 64bit oem, just as it said windows is loading files and it goes to the bar with microsoft at the bottom the system would show the vista background and then it would go black essentially turning off but the cpu fan would keep spinning.
I then went to the bios and after a few minutes the same thing would happen the system would turn off.
I have tried the following;
1. Triple check all connections and they seem fine.
2. Try booting with 1 stick of ram and the same thing happens, I have even tried both sticks in the 1st slot alternatively and no difference.
3. Reset cmos and load default optimized settings, still no change.
4. Bios version is F2A which is the latest bios so no change here.

Any one ever had the same problem with this board/have suggestions I could try? Thanks for help.

bilbat

Splendid
Another common problem to check on is whether all your heatsink pins are fully inserted, seated, and locked, as well as that you got a good 'spread' on your heatsink compound; if your heat transfer to the sink is not perfect, the CPU temp will rise quickly (seconds to minutes) and the CPU will go into thermal shutdown to protect itself...

Twiz

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009

My mobo is Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4 not GA-MA790XT-UD4P.

The heatsink is fully inserted and locked with enough compound I have even changed to the stock cooler and still have the same problem.

Twiz

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Thanks for the help guys, it was the 4870 gpu that was the culprit giving me a no signal output, I will soon get a new card, I was thinking of avoiding ATI cards all together and go for the http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/896M...2xDL-DVI-I-HDTV-plus-FarCry-2-plus-FREE-Vouch. The question I have is, would there be any compatibility issues using an nvidia card with Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4 Motherboard as it seems AMD/ATI friendly with crossfire support?
p.s I have no interest in crossfire or SLI now or in the future.