Is my Motherboard fried?

ohnickoli

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I recently purchased a Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3P, with all other new hardware from Newegg. This is my first build so bear with me here. I'll list my other equipment and all the information I can give about them below.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3P v1.0
CPU: Intel Quad Core 2 Q8200 2.33GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775
PS: Raidmax Hybrid 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2
Memory: OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
GFX: EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Basically when I had everything connected, which I spent much time making sure everything was in place, I powered it on to some smoke coming from the side and that burnt smell... I open the case to find that one of my connections to the Power Supply (which are interchangeable) had burned halfway up and that the chip closest to the SYS_FAN2 header (and the header) were singed. I'm taking it I wired something wrong with the fans connected to the case and the power supply. When I turn it on, everything powers up (leds,fans,motherboard seem like it kicks) but the GFX card doesn't start (nothing on monitor) nor does the CPU Fan. Could this small fault with the fans have fried my Motherboard?

pfalcini

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Check for the standoff or any other source of shorts on the mobo. If none of these seem to be present check the voltages on the PSU feeds with a multimeter. Have you treble checked that the modular leads were in the right place, I take it that the lead that burnt was the one to the fans etc. Was the burn site on the lead close to the singing on the mobo?

ohnickoli

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Yeah where the lead burned up was right next to the chip that formed a burn spot on the top of it. A friend of mine came over to have a look at it, he just recommended RMAing it. Ill check the standoff and the PSU and get back with you guys.