Motherboard and Processor Question (Phenom x3 and MA790X

bounce

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
In my build I have a Phenom II x3 720 BE and a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P (Crossfire) for 218.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.190734

I am getting, and have already ordered, a XFX GTX 260 Core 216.

My question:

Is there a processor and motherboard combination around that price (218.99) , that will run SLI and have around the same performance?

I am asking for a friend AND for me.

My friend is wanting to stick with Nvidia, whereas I am in the middle.

I don't mind that the MA790X only does crossfire because I will most likely switch to ATI in the future.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Well,,you might take a look at the GA-MA790FX-UD5P,for me it has a slightly better layout as I need floppy access and most mobo's are putting them way below the last pci connector,there are many times when having a bootable floppy with useful stuff can save the day and prevent uneedfull resetting of the bios etc,,,:)

Well the only stable SLI mobos are the X58, which would nearly cost the total of that combo :p...
So tell your friend about that...
And that combo is the best mid-budget gaming platform and is the best bang-for-buck...

bounce

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Yeah, I explained that to him. I'm sticking with the MA790x combo for my rig, but I don't know what hes doing.

I think he wanted to go with an ASUS nforce mobo but I haven't heard amazing things about them

^ Yes he is sure to face some compatibility issues with the nforce board...
Say him to research about the mobo he wants to buy, the compatible components and then buy them...
But am sure that here in this forum no one would suggest that SLI boards except for the X58...

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006

you haven't heard anything amazing about them, because there simply isn't anything amazing to be heard about them.

TRENDING THREADS