Where did Catalyst 8.13 go?

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
So 8.12 came out just around Dec 11th 2008 and it brought us some nice improvements. Nvidia has gone as far as releasing a dual chip for 280 with new drivers. What about ATI? We're pretty close to Feb 2009 and so far no 8.13 yet... what's going on?

Goldsun1715

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008

It would be 9.1, and it's coming soon.

I looked in the Catalyst history, and this (will be) the latest release in over a year. I worry that they ran into issues as this was supposed to be another miracle driver. Not to mention the holiday vacation in Dec./Jan. Hopefully all of this extra time will result in a much more stable driver (I heard some issues about 8.12, I just stayed with 8.11).

Actually it's not year and month it's year.release , it just seems like month since they have a release schedule that usually is monthly.

Surprisingly long time for X.1 though, especially considering the issues with 8.12 , but fixing those may be the goal for the new release, the interesting thing will be if they can get it out by month's end or if 9.1 comes in Feb?

I don't think miracle drivers, but I think there's 4 stability issues, some random AA issues, and then also the mediocre/crap AVIVO converter output to address, alot of things to improve, hopefully they delay means they're ready to address more than just one issue, but that may be wishful thinking.

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
ah ok.. that clears up a lot. I was looking at the pattern in which they release (usually within first 2 weeks of every month) and now we're hitting the 3rd week and still nothing yet so I'm getting a bit anxious :bounce:

preyingrazor

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009

Plus, improvements in crossfire! There is always room for improvement there.

I'm looking forward to Crysis crossfire gains! But so far it seems I'm aspiring for a distant utopia.

preyingrazor

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009

DX10 in quad opts? Whats that?

preyingrazor

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009

Ah! That would be awesome. I only recently upgraded to a quad core system.

Where did you get the quad optimisations news from?

Last week of Jan now... No Drivers on ATI's site when I looked this morning.

Mayhaps they'll be 9.2?

Kind of annoyed, to be honest: Playing with 7 - It doesn't like the beta 8.12 drivers ATI say are supposed to work, and randomly hard locks when gaming. I was holding off on blowing it all out and going with a driver only install of 8.11 (which apparently work fine) on the idea that 9.1 should be out soon.

Ape - Thanks for the link to the beta drivers. I'll have a long think about using them.

a 4870x2

I suspect it's an issue with Catalyst, moreso than the driver itself. No hard evidence, tho - Just what I think. What happens is it randomly hard Locks the computer while gaming, - might be 5 minutes, might be 5 hours - but I have to use the reset button to get it back. And, of course, when you have to do that you don't get a .dmp file to look at.

It's all on a separate drive from my main installation, and it's Beta software after all. And I dutifully reported what I know to MSFT.

It's not a big deal. Just a matter of what I'll do, and when.

preyingrazor

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
it could be due to overheating of the GPU too. are u overclocking it by any chance? Use some software that keeps logging ur GPU temperatures and then check the log file after a freeze and restart. If it consistently hangs up at or near the same temperature, then it's a heating problem.

Also try underclocking your card to see if that helps. The 4870x2 is a beast and won't mind a bit.

:) - I monitor the temps with Everest Ultimate, outputting to a gadget on my secondary monitor. With the fan set at 35%, they never exceed 70c, and the readings are consistent between 7 and Vista. So I can assure you that heat isn't the problem. Good suggestion though. :)

For more detailia: My Win 7 install is on the exact same computer, running the exact same clocks, and the same type/series (Seagate 7200.11. No raid. Just a pair of HDDs) hard drive as Vista 64. The issue doesn't happen under Vista at all. And given that 7 is more... efficient would be a good word since they run roughly the same number of processes... it would be logical to presume Video stress should be a bit less if not equal. But Vista is stable, while 7 locks. From my own troubleshooting, I'm reasonably sure it's a driver/software issue. While I don't have a .dmp to examine for hard evidence, what I've found in Technet and elsewhere tends to confirm. (Stuff like a given game running fine in Windowed mode but not at all on full screen, or fine on one comp yet buggy on another, and other random weirdness. This is besides some Crossfire headaches, and the X2 is basically a crossfire card on one PCB, so...)

For sure, I'd be singing a completely different tune were it all presented as Production Ready, but like I said before - My primary install is on another hard disc. So it's not a big deal, just what happens when playing with Beta Drivers on a Beta OS. Take notes, send them plus whatever data you collect to Microsoft, and keep playing with it.