New system can't boot to copy files from old C: drive

jkrbare

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
I built a new system using a XFX GeForce 8200 motherboard. I installed a SATA 1TB HDD and installed XP Pro. It boots up and works great.

I have an older hard drive (WD1200 – EIDE Drive) that used to be the C:\ drive on another computer. I wanted to copy some files from that drive onto a new PC hard drive. I had installed the drive into a hard drive enclosure that works off of a USB connection. I was able to copy files without trouble using windows explorer. I copied about half the files I needed before I started deleting directories I did not want to copy. When I tried to delete some files from the C:\Windows directory the drive stopped being recognized by Windows Explorer.

In an attempt to get around this problem I removed the hard disk from the enclosure and connected it directly to the motherboard via a standard 80 wire cable for an EIDE hard drive. I went into the setup mode of the computer, and it did recognize the old hard drive as being connected. After making sure that the computer would boot up from the new hard drive first, I tried to boot up. Shortly after starting the computer, the motherboard set up screen is displayed on the monitor as normal. Shortly after that the Microsoft Windows XP logo is displayed as it begins to load up into windows. Within seconds, the monitor goes completely blank and the computer becomes dormant. The hard drive stops and the boot up process stops. I have to hit the reset button or do a hard shutdown at that point in time.

I have tried this multiple times including in safe mode (F8) various options without success. It reacts the same way every time. Any idea as to why the new PC does not like the old drive and/or why it won't boot up with it connected? Any idea on how I can get the files off the old drive?

pat

Expert
maybe because you leave the jumper for master/slave selection set for master with slave. for single operation, you should remove the jumper completly

The computer is trying to boot off of your old drive when it's connected. As was stated above, you need to set the jumper correctly. You should also make sure the boot order is set to boot from your new HD in the BIOS.

Scarchunk

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Like everyone else has already said, I think your issue is with the jumper settings on the old drive and possibly your boot order in the BIOS. Another easy workaround would be to boot up your favorite live disc and pull the data that way.

jkrbare

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
The new system worked fine without the old drive connected. THe new drive was an SATA drive. During boot-up I went into setup mode and set the new drive to be the first boot drive. The old drive had no jumpers on it. The computer (in Setup mode) did see and recognize the type and size of the old drive. It listed it as a primary IDE Master drive in the Bios Setup Utility(with no jumpers). The new HDD is listed as the "Third IDE Master". The DVD Burner is listed as the "Fourth IDE Master".
The Boot Device Priority is currently set at CD/DVD as First, SATA HDD as Second and I had removed the old drive as an option.
In the Boot Settings under Hard Disk Drives, I have the new SATA drive as the first drive and the old one as the second drive.

This is more detail than I gave to start with. This setting has not changed since I started the new PC with the old drive. Any additional ideas?

jkrbare

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Pardon my ignorance, what is a "live CD"? Are you referring to booting from the original WinXP disk or are you referring to a disk I can make up? If it is a disk I make up how do I do it and is there anything special I want to put on it? I assume you are referring to a bootable disk like I used to make with old versions of Windows on 3 1/2" disks. What files do I want on the disk and what do I want to put the BIOS settings at? Do I want the pc to look at any of the HDD's as possible alternatives on boot up? This may be making forward progress now.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Live CDs are usually Linux distributions you can boot directly from a CD/DVD and require no installation. I usually use Knoppix, but since you are probably not accustomed to Linux, maybe someone can recommend another one (the Ubuntu installation disk is also a Live CD I think, but not sure).

jkrbare

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Can you boot from a Linux system disk to troubleshoot and repair a Windows problem? New ground for me when you start talking about Linux.

Zenthar

Distinguished
It can help for some tasks like copying files when Windows refuses to boot. I know the Knoppix LiveCD also has the memtest utility you can run at boot prompt. The fact that it's a different OS also helps diagnose when Windows itself might be the problem before doing a reinstall. There are also LiveCDs made specially for diagnosis purposes like the Ultimate Boot CD.