Sign in with
Your question

SATA 6.0 SSD drive

Last response: in Storage
June 25, 2010 3:27:22 PM

Anyone seeing any new SATA 6.0 driving entering the market anytime soon? As of now, there is only one brand on newegg and its pretty pricey. Im currently running a Corsair P128 CMFSSD-128GBG2D but its the bottleneck on my Win7 platform scoring a 6.3.

Thanks.

More about : sata ssd drive

a b G Storage
June 25, 2010 3:39:33 PM

You can't really go by the windows performance score, I'm pretty sure it uses the same score for any device of a certain type.

A single SSD will not take advantage of the full bandwidth of a 3Gb/sec sata channel, I'm fairly certain. You can search around the reviews, here's one for your drive:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/corsai...

it may not be the fastest ssd out there, but it's always under 200MB/s (1.6Mb/s) so even 3.0Mb/s of sata II gives you plenty of headroom.
m
l
June 25, 2010 3:47:26 PM

so how do you suggest I take advantage of the two SATA III connections on my MB?
m
l
Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
June 25, 2010 5:20:36 PM

You would have to wait till Christmas this year for newer SATA 6Gbps SSDs to be available; Intel's new third generation X25-M is expected at that time.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
June 25, 2010 6:06:08 PM

dsmaddox said:
Anyone seeing any new SATA 6.0 driving entering the market anytime soon? As of now, there is only one brand on newegg and its pretty pricey. Im currently running a Corsair P128 CMFSSD-128GBG2D but its the bottleneck on my Win7 platform scoring a 6.3.
According to http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/corsai..., your drives' peak transfer rate is well under 250MByte/second. So SATA 6 wouldn't really help you any. I have a SATA 3Gbit/sec Intel drive that scores 7.7 on the Windows Experience Index, so it's clearly possible to get that kind of performance without needing SATA 6.

More important than SATA 6 is the basic specs of the drive itself. If the drive can't transfer data quickly enough, then SATA 6 isn't going to do you a whit of good. So when you buy your new drive, check out the benchmarks for it. SATA 6 is not a guarantee of good performance!
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
June 26, 2010 1:49:45 AM

^+1. Excellent gtvr & sminlal. Just plugging a drive in SATA III does not give SATA III specs.

A thing lost to many. Even my 2x500GB RAID 0 HDD only give 150MBps max. reads/writes. Far from the max. 600MBPs I "could" get.

But my SSD in RAID 0 peaks at over 400MBps, more than a single SATA II.
m
l
a b G Storage
June 26, 2010 3:59:21 AM

very nice!
However, each drive has it's own channel, so even though in the aggregate you can get a very high throughput, each drive is not at the max of its own channel.
m
l
!