SATA 6.0 SSD drive

Anyone seeing any new SATA 6.0 driving entering the market anytime soon? As of now, there is only one brand on newegg and its pretty pricey. Im currently running a Corsair P128 CMFSSD-128GBG2D but its the bottleneck on my Win7 platform scoring a 6.3.

Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about sata drive
  1. You can't really go by the windows performance score, I'm pretty sure it uses the same score for any device of a certain type.

A single SSD will not take advantage of the full bandwidth of a 3Gb/sec sata channel, I'm fairly certain. You can search around the reviews, here's one for your drive:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/corsair-p128-ssd_4.html

it may not be the fastest ssd out there, but it's always under 200MB/s (1.6Mb/s) so even 3.0Mb/s of sata II gives you plenty of headroom.
  2. so how do you suggest I take advantage of the two SATA III connections on my MB?
  3. You would have to wait till Christmas this year for newer SATA 6Gbps SSDs to be available; Intel's new third generation X25-M is expected at that time.
  4. dsmaddox said:
    Anyone seeing any new SATA 6.0 driving entering the market anytime soon? As of now, there is only one brand on newegg and its pretty pricey. Im currently running a Corsair P128 CMFSSD-128GBG2D but its the bottleneck on my Win7 platform scoring a 6.3.
    According to http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/corsair-p128-ssd_6.html, your drives' peak transfer rate is well under 250MByte/second. So SATA 6 wouldn't really help you any. I have a SATA 3Gbit/sec Intel drive that scores 7.7 on the Windows Experience Index, so it's clearly possible to get that kind of performance without needing SATA 6.

More important than SATA 6 is the basic specs of the drive itself. If the drive can't transfer data quickly enough, then SATA 6 isn't going to do you a whit of good. So when you buy your new drive, check out the benchmarks for it. SATA 6 is not a guarantee of good performance!
  5. ^+1. Excellent gtvr & sminlal. Just plugging a drive in SATA III does not give SATA III specs.

A thing lost to many. Even my 2x500GB RAID 0 HDD only give 150MBps max. reads/writes. Far from the max. 600MBPs I "could" get.

But my SSD in RAID 0 peaks at over 400MBps, more than a single SATA II.
  6. very nice!
    However, each drive has it's own channel, so even though in the aggregate you can get a very high throughput, each drive is not at the max of its own channel.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD SATA Storage