ImNewbie123

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Hmmm... I would like to ask about AMD because I decide to buy AMD since it is cheap for multimedia and torrenting... Can I on amd cpu for 24/5 for torrenting???? Can it destory my cpu like overheat and what so ever??? Should I buy better cooler for it without overclocking but lifetime???

(Never use AMD product before except for ATI)

verndewd

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
You must be from another country or a bit drunk :D Id say a phenom2 would be a great cheap choice for torrenting. As to life spans of chips that is dependant on current and proper cooling. At stock you could feasibly torrent 24/7 for over a decade on a solid chip, the same potential holds for Intel.

There is always the possibility for a defect to surface later in a chips life rather than sooner, But a 940 black is top binned so the chances are minimized due to the fact that they are more tested than other chips. Testing bins the chip and the ones that bin higher can be said to be less defective or more capable .

Defect is relative to spec based on what deposition was desired and what desposition actually occurred. Slower chips may have thicker than spec oxides, among other possibilities. Intel bins the same way.

So there is no guarantee that a top binned chip running at stock will last longer but I would think the chances are better since its more inline with spec.

ImNewbie123

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I see.... and last question what is HT??? Is it FSB??? AMD has higher HT or FSB than intel.... No wonder AMD faster than intel but too bad it generate too much heat and difficult to overclock....

verndewd

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009

as long as he can put it together in a workable fashion hes fine but yeah id say read more too.

ImNewbie123

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
but I compared Athlonx2 6000+ with E8200... Athlonx2 faster o_o... Maybe something wrong with me :S... I love intel but it is expensive.... Anywhere where should i get information about AMD... I read a lot but still confusing... That's why I asking u all...

verndewd

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009

Just search for cpu benchmarks and go from there. At your price range AMD may be the best deal just make sure the mobo is am2+ so you can upgrade. I personally would get one that will take am2 am2+ and am3 if its available.

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008

X2 6000+? Faster than the E8200? How did you "compare" both? By the pictures on the package?

Honestly, pal, you should evaluate your test method again.

ImNewbie123

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
~verndewd
Ok... Now I look for it... Anyway thanks a lot for information and "education" :Z

~zipzoomflyhigh
I do not need to overclock bcoz I only use it for multimedia... Yeah, it's true... It can overclocked like beast but kind of waste if i overclock atleast I use it for gaming.... The big problem is E8400 3 times as expensive as the 6000+..

~dattimr
How Did I compare both?? By multitasking, converting video and run some program and test how fast it pop up or finished run... The 6000+ only use 2GB 800mhz ram but E8400 use 1GB and 2GB ram 800mhz dual-channel and all spec are same but E8200 still slower than 6000+ atleast I have time to overclock E8400...

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Ok this is very pure and simple to answer so I didn't read the other posts lol sorry if I'm repeating something someone else has said.

NOO 24/5 is not bad for your cpu, as long as the cpu was not bad to start with. It's better to run for longer periods of times, since the cpu doesn't expand and contract as much. It's bad for your PSU, HDD, and fans, since they are rated to spin for a certain # of hours (not sure about the HDD part...). If you still worry, then simply underclock the poo out of your entire system when leaving it on with AMD Overdrive; lower NB, HT, PCI, Multi, everything. Multi should auto underclock the cpu when idling if you have cool and quiet enabled.

So basically, you may have to replace the fans and PSU in like 5 years of running 24/7, that's all ^.^ Wait, I forgot to mention that running it 24/5 means your computer faces lightning storms, power outages, and all that stuff. Plug it in a UPS with surge protection and power conditioning, if you care so much about your pc. That's probably the best you can do for it. Or, buy an Intel Atom lol. But seriously, you're gonna have 1% load on cpu, so who in their right mind buys a $50 hsf to cool an idling cpu?

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008

That's strange, dude. Even the Phenom II loses most of those "multitasking" tests you did if compared to an Intel Quad with 12 MBs of L2 - at least on the professional sites. One good site that uses that method is Legit Reviews. Extreme Tech does that sometimes too. But did you use the same OS, same HD and same everything you could? Honestly, I still doubt that. Not that I'm thinking you're lying, but perhaps you just "felt" it was faster. When every site says one CPU is faster, you know, chances of the whole "review world" being wrong are not that high.

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Just for kicks, my X2 4400+ runs Vista x64 Home Premium amazingly, but Ubuntu 8.04 runs [relatively] like crap (and I didn't use the "install inside Windows" feature). I think it's all about perception. But I can assure you that my CPU kisses the ass of my friend's Q9300 big time in every game - and since there's not a single one truly optimized for quad-core and his is a "half-cached" version, go figure.

ImNewbie123

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

~computabag
Yeah... I use to plug with surge protector... I hope your right.... bcoz i dont want my computer destory due to certain matter....

~dattimr
Yeah... All Spec are same....