Sign in with
Your question

H50 hitting 70c

Last response: in Overclocking
June 7, 2010 11:17:16 AM

My first time building a computer and first time OC'ing. I've got an i5 750, h50 cooler, and msi p55 gd65 mobo.

Overclocked to 3.7 and ran prime 95, temps were 69/70/68/68. Do these sound like normal temps?

More about : h50 hitting 70c

a b K Overclocking
June 7, 2010 11:51:18 AM

AFKrash said:

Overclocked to 3.7 and ran prime 95, temps were 69/70/68/68. Do these sound like normal temps?

Pretty much.
Are you using dual fans ?
How is the H50 setup, as intake or exhaust ?
What are the ambient [ room ] temps ?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 7, 2010 12:56:44 PM

Looks okay but maybe a little high. The i3 / i5 / i7 all run hot (so much for AMD being the heat makers ;) ). As posted above.. do you have a push pull setup and where is the H50 mounted in the case?
m
l
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 7, 2010 2:00:25 PM

The H50 is not a good H2O cooler, at all. Think of trying to cool a Ferrari engine with the cooling system from a Toyta Prius.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 7, 2010 3:00:25 PM

rubix_1011 said:
The H50 is not a good H2O cooler, at all. Think of trying to cool a Ferrari engine with the cooling system from a Toyta Prius.

There's always a couple in a crowd :heink: 
m
l
June 7, 2010 3:45:31 PM

I have my h50 set up as intake but with 2 87 cfm fans one pushing air and one pulling air my ambient is kind of high always about 74 except in winter and I hit in the high 60's to low 70's when I run prime95 I usually run it for 4 hours to see if I'm stable when trying a new clock.I have an I7 920 overclocked to 3.6ghz read my specs you'll see the rest of my set up.
m
l
June 7, 2010 7:42:06 PM

delluser1 said:
Pretty much.
Are you using dual fans ?
How is the H50 setup, as intake or exhaust ?
What are the ambient [ room ] temps ?

wow, thnx for fast response guys.
no dual fans yet, i actually just installed the h50 yesterday with some fresh AS5.
got it set up as an intake in the front of my case, i have a NZXT hades btw.
and my ambient is 70-75f

will i damage my cpu in anyway with those temps?
full load my voltage was 1.3.

weird thing though is once i stop prime my temps drop to mid 30's, but my voltage jumps up to 1.4
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 7, 2010 8:52:58 PM

Your CPU would auto shutdown before getting damaged by heat. The only way you can damage your CPU by overclocking is raising voltage.
m
l
June 7, 2010 11:51:27 PM

rofl_my_waffle said:
Your CPU would auto shutdown before getting damaged by heat. The only way you can damage your CPU by overclocking is raising voltage.

how high can my voltage go before i damage it?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 8, 2010 12:36:33 PM

Remember that AS5 needs 200+ hours of use before it gives best results. It is also not the best paste on the market any more. Looking around, MX-2 or something similar can help drop 1-5C off any cooler compared to AS5.

Also.. the H50 is a good water cooler, but no where near the best. Freezone Elite - now THAT'S a bloody good cooler ;]. I've seen quadcores hit sub-ambient temps with that beast.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 8, 2010 1:12:38 PM

acer0169 said:

Also.. the H50 is a good water cooler, but no where near the best. Freezone Elite - now THAT'S a bloody good cooler ;]. I've seen quadcores hit sub-ambient temps with that beast.

The Freezone is a hybrid TEC cooler that cost 4-5 times more than the H50, great comparison.
m
l
June 8, 2010 1:34:17 PM

acer0169 said:

I must get me one of these, seeing as it defies the the first law of thermodynamics according to you.
m
l
June 8, 2010 3:30:41 PM

Just add an extra fan to the H50. Thats what I did, it not only dropped the CPU temp on prime95 by 9c degrees, but it blows more wind through the system emulating a air cooler.

The single fan that the H50 comes with is junk and doesn't give it its full potential resulting in poor reviews.
m
l
June 8, 2010 4:28:48 PM

Like I said get High cfm fans to get the real potential from the H50 Cooler master Excalibur 87 cfm or Scythe slipstream 110cfm set up >R> as intake. your temps drop when you stop prime because you are stopping the load on your system, your ambient are about the same as mine You are ok with these temps.post here or pm me if you have any more questions. I think you should be able to drop your voltage a bit maybe to 1.2 or something close to that and that would drop your temps a little more.
m
l
June 11, 2010 2:10:08 AM

BorNej said:
Like I said get High cfm fans to get the real potential from the H50 Cooler master Excalibur 87 cfm or Scythe slipstream 110cfm set up >R> as intake. your temps drop when you stop prime because you are stopping the load on your system, your ambient are about the same as mine You are ok with these temps.post here or pm me if you have any more questions. I think you should be able to drop your voltage a bit maybe to 1.2 or something close to that and that would drop your temps a little more.

ok, so i got a second fan and that hleped a lil. ive just got an issue with the voltage. i dropped it to about 1.3v and ran prime no problem, then about an hour later one of my cores stopped workin. no system crash, it just stopped workin. ive been raising my voltage little by little and testing each time. im currently at 1.38v (crossing my fingers).

how do i acheive a lower voltage while still maintaining four active cores? is it a stability issue, hardware issue, or do i simply need to adjust something in my bios
m
l
June 11, 2010 3:41:28 PM

I've Never heard of a core just stopping working! While running prime check in core temp if you have it it will tell you the temp of each core and the load on the cpu. maybe it is a malfunction with prime and not your cpu.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 11, 2010 5:40:18 PM

Exzess said:
I must get me one of these, seeing as it defies the the first law of thermodynamics according to you.

Look it up.

Ambient temp 17C, CPU idle at 16C. It's a TEC cooler for like £300 or something..
m
l
!