bilboe

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
This week I will be building a computer for the first time, and I have a few questions regarding static electricity:

1. How do you manage your static when working in a computer? (I have heard of latex gloves, ESD wrist straps, and just touching the case, which works best?)

2. What kind of work-surface should you build the computer on? (Metal table, wood table, etc.)

3. When installing the cpu and ram in the motherboard, should I put the motherboard on a block of wood, the anti-static bag it comes in, or something else?

4. When installing parts in the computer, should I lay the case on its side, or keep it upright?

Thank you very much!!!

Amg

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
Don't put the mobo on the anti static bag, on the outside its full of static...don't put the mobo on a metal table.. wood yes and no if its smooth and polish it could have static charges. you may however sit it on or in it box( I do that) no harm to boared

the case should be on its side when messing around with componets..

yes touch the side of the case is a good way of discharging yourself or you could buy a anti static mat with a anti static wrist band if you are worried