Sign in with
Your question

GTX 260 C216, SCC edition, major problems :(

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2009 10:56:36 AM

Hi all,

I'm really at my wits end with this new EVGA gtx 260 that I've purchased, and could really use any help people could offer:( 

Currently the gtx 260 is causing severe system instabilty. Games tend to crash after about 5 mins, usually freezing in game.

I have a dual boot system with XP and W7 (both 32 bit) - the most common problem is that there are continual BSOD crashes, during windows, and in the XP boot, in game:

0x000000D1 DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

GPU running at 57 degrees under load.

I've tried subtituting my old 7900gtx back into the system, and lo and behold it's stable as a rock, without even reinstalling the latest nvidia drivers.

I've tried removing the drivers with driver clean in safe mode, and reinstalling them (latest from nvidia). I've updated the drivers for everything on the system, including bios updates for the HDs and DVD drives, and I'm completely at a loss as where to go next.

A few leads I'm thinking of trying - removing 2gb - I've read various comments about 4bg and windows 32bit programs causing problems with graphics cards with over 512mb of memory?
(on a side note, ive been unable to install the 64 bit version of w7 - extreme lag and it takes around 5 hours to install, and finally never actually loads - is this significant?)

Specs:

GTX 260, 216Core Super Super clocked Edition

CPU: E6600
MB:p 5N32SLI SE DELUXE (nforce 4)
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Mem: 4Gb DDR2 (PC-5300)
HDs: 500gb Seagate (data/programs)
320 GB Samsung (windows partitions)
(both SATA II)
DVD: Optiarc, AD-7200S

Logitech gaming g15 keyboardand G5 mouse

Ayn help would be massively appreciated - I'm at the stage where i'm thinking of trying to RMA this now to get my money back:( (
a b Î Nvidia
January 25, 2009 2:44:36 PM

I`m sorry to hear that after all the trouble you have taken to make the purchase it`s being a ba****d:( 

This error seems to be caused by a driver or possibly a corrupted/ missing registry entry.

So I` uninstall all your drivers. Boot with the Windows disc in and do a repair of the installation, NOT a full reinstall, just a repair. Then reinstall all your drivers and see what happens.

January 25, 2009 3:06:57 PM

sounds like you need to RMA your card, or buy ATI the next time, there tech is really a step above anything that nvidia can come up with
Related resources
January 25, 2009 3:10:07 PM

I've recently had some strange problems with my GTX 260, i tried swapping mobos and no good so i tried a different graphics card and what you know it worked perfectly. So i took it to an expert and he told me nothing wrong with the card but i had compatibility issues with both mobos i tried, it seems and the GTX 260 has some compatibility issues which are pretty rare now. So changing card might be the only way to go.
January 25, 2009 3:32:48 PM

maybe a firm ware and bios update will fix your problems
January 25, 2009 8:15:15 PM

Hi folks,

many thanks for all the suggestions.

I've had one bit of luck - I tried taking 2gb of memory out of my machine, and windows 7 64 bit installed fine, whereas everytime before it refused to run - it took over 5 hours to complete.

this makes me think there must be an issue with accessing the full 4gbs of memory, possibly either corrupt memory or insufficient voltage?

I think its related to the gtx 260 in the sense i read a comment re there was a problem with 32 bit os with 4gb of memory and a gfx card with over 512mb - i cant remember the details but it seems to have a link.

just going to test some gaming now with the 64bit os and 2gb of mem.
!