4pin molex connector on atx power supply and mobos ?

Hello :hello:

Most ATX power supply for p4, athlons and such have a 4pin square connector called 4pin molex for p4, or so ive read. to give an idea of what connector im talking about i put this pic here

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/courses/power-supply/12v-power-connector.gif

or at this motherboard pic (its to the right of the 24pin molex mobo connector)
http://www.abit.com.tw/upload/products/NF7-S_pic6.jpg

Question is, , i have it currently unpluged.. what exactly does this molex connector do? just wanna know if ill have any problems if i dont plug it... and ive found very little information on the internet about it

(Abit NF7 v 2.0 mobo with an Athlon XP 2400 cpu)

7 answers Last reply
More about 4pin molex connector power supply mobos
  1. It's called an ATX12V connector and it's supposed to power the CPU voltage regulator. Your system isn't supposed to run without it.
  2. I see, since i dont know what a cpu voltage regulator's is
    I'll rephrase my question.

Will my system fail or will i have fried cpu (or mobo) if i don't plug this? or is there any other thing that is likely to fail? maybe the power supply itself?

This PC has been running 24/7 for months (like 3 months give or take) without plugging this connector..
    Running demanding games and such.

(I'm using this power supply that doesn't have that connector) And I was thinking on moving this power supply to another similar system (an amd sempron64, i repeat, currently its running on an Amd AthlonXp w/o problems so far)

Thanks for your help
  3. batman1978 said:
    I see, since i dont know what a cpu voltage regulator's is
    I'll rephrase my question.

Will my system fail or will i have fried cpu (or mobo) if i don't plug this? or is there any other thing that is likely to fail? maybe the power supply itself?

This PC has been running 24/7 for months (like 3 months give or take) without plugging this connector..
    Running demanding games and such.

(I'm using this power supply that doesn't have that connector) And I was thinking on moving this power supply to another similar system (an amd sempron64, i repeat, currently its running on an Amd AthlonXp w/o problems so far)

Thanks for your help

It shouldn't hurt anything, I'm just suprised it runs. The CPU voltage regulator is what POWERS the CPU.
  4. I had the same question and found the answer here.

I believe the 4-pin molex connector is the auxiliary power connector, and if the original poster replaced the power supply with a new 24-pin connector (instead of the old 20-pin one), then you shouldn't need the square, 4-pin molex.
  5. nmliz said:
    I had the same question and found the answer here.

I believe the 4-pin molex connector is the auxiliary power connector, and if the original poster replaced the power supply with a new 24-pin connector (instead of the old 20-pin one), then you shouldn't need the square, 4-pin molex.

No, the 24-pin connector was adopted to add more power pins for PCI-Express, as was the flat 4-pin auxiliary power connector. The square 4-pin CPU power connector is supposed to be on a completely different circuit (and the 8-pin version is just a higher-amperage version of the 4-pin square power connection).
  6. my mother board does not need the atx 4pin but my psu has a 20+4. Can I take the atx 4 pin and use it for something else? I have been looking for a converter or adaptor to make it in to a molex so I can use it. Any thoughts? I would like to use it to power my fan controller witch will have 4 fans plugged in to it.
  7. In my case, the fans run but the CPU doesn't which makes me think that power is required at the four pin socket. I am considering identifying the + and - of the socket and feeding in from the black and yellow 12v circuit.
    Wyoham
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies ATX Motherboards