My i5 is running pretty hot

feriluce

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
After building my first system about 1.5 months ago, I've finally decided to venture into the dark void of overclocking.

First of all. My current build is:

i5 750
4gb crucial 8-8-8-24 1600mhz
asus p7p55d-e pro mobo
powercolor ATI 5870
Coolermaster hyper 212 plus
win 7

As a complete noob when it comes to OC'ing, all I did was to turn on the auto OC function in the bios and set my ram to the correct timings (they defaulted to 9-9-9-24). Furthermore I also upped my 5870 to 925/1425 via ati overdrive, which is where it the tests started failing.

Anyway, my problem is that after the autotune upped my i5 to ~3700 mhz (19x195.5 according to cpu-z) my cpu is running at 81C max when running prime95 tests and ~45C when idle. Before the OC it ran at 30C idle and ~45C under prime95. I have a feeling this is quite a bit too hot. Am I correct in that assesment? If it is, then what can I do to rectify it?

On a bit unrelated note, when I try running the heaven benchmark after OC'ing it freezes up my PC for no apparant reason. It seem like it may suddenly have started to cause my display driver to crash. I have no idea if this is related to the OC at all.

Edit: Forgot to add which cooler im using.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Yep, too hot.

You may want to read a bunch of OCing guides to get familiar with the Bios entries and then OC in the Bios. Software based OCing overvolts like crazy for stability reasons, and even then doesn't do a very good job.

feriluce

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Any tips to what the voltage to be around? I've searched around a bit, but haven't realy found any substantial info.

Replace the stock compound if any that came with the cooler (most come with crap these days) with something better like arctic silver5. As for voltage start scaling back in very very small increments till the machine becomes unstable then raise them just slightly which will lower the avg temps as well load but you got to keep it cool or you will need to bump the volts back to ware you have them now. Lowballing the volts works but only if the cpu is keept cool.

feriluce

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
It would seem I've managed to keep it stable without any of the core failing in a 15 min prime95 test at 1.206V. Now the load temperature is 68-70C, but the idle temp is weirdly enough still 40-45C

Well at least there was improvement, got any unecoded videos? If not try a one or two hour game session and allow it to get warm/hot in the room with the A/C off to make sure your rig is stable for more than 15min Prime run. If it doesn't blue screen or lock up then your good.

feriluce

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009

I wish I had an A/C :(.

I'll take it for a spin in some BC2 later when I've figured out why my ATI driver keeps dying on me whenever I as much as think about OC'ing my 5870.

I know how you feel, last year mine kicked the bucket for a month and ended up losing weight.

feriluce

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Meh, it seems like my i5 is just as rejecting to OC'ing as my 5870. When attempting to play GTA4 it crashed within 5 minutes of loading it up. I then tried to just use the X.M.P profile to get my ram to 1600mhz while my cpu stayed at 2.7ghz.
No luck there iether. 10min of GTA4 and a crash.

On a side note though. I have found out that you can run furmark alongside GTA and not notice any drop in framerates at stock speeds. Loading times are quite a bit slower though.
I found this out when forgetting to close furmark properly before loading up GTA and not noticing till I closed it down again.

First thing I'd do if I were you is redo the 212+ mounting with some good paste. Read a guide on it... there's good and bad ways of doing it. Make sure it's tight.

OCing a CPU: Quick 10-15 min tests use Intel Burn Test at High stress. If stable, run Prime95 for 8-12 hours overnight.

OCing a GPU: Run 5min FurMark tests - 0xAA to stress core and 4xAA to stress memory at the highest resolution you can. Too much core = artifacts. Too much memory - jumpyness and sudden crashes or BSOD. Sometimes you'll be stable 10 mins in FurMark and crash a game after 15 to 30 mins. If it's a freeze up or driver restart, lower mem a little.

What is the highest CCC Ati Overdrive OC on the 5870, btw?

feriluce

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
1000/1450(or 1475) is the highest you can go in overdrive. However I cant even push it to 900mhz/stock mem without the driver crashing before heaven benchmark can finish.

It didn't crash in furmark though for some reason.