Windows xp doesnt recognize microphone

nabbers28

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
I have a soundMax microphone and I have tried plugging it into the pink hole on my sound card and into the microphone hole on the front of my desktop, but the device is not recognized and I get a message saying that it is not installed.
I am running Windows XP Pro. I would be glad of some advice. Thanks

Go to the control panel under "Sounds and Audio devices". On the audio tab, make sure the sound recording device is set to Soundmax HD audio. On the voice tab, make sure "voice recording" is also set to Soundmax HD audio. Use the test hardware button to make sure it's working ok.

nabbers28

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Thanks for your reply.
I have tried this several times and each time I get the same result. When I run sndrec32 to bring up the test, my voice is not recorded and I get a message that reads: There is not enough memory to complete this test. [even though I am not running any other programs.]
When I change the default settings back to 'camera' as the default recording device, [ie my logitech web cam] the sound test works perfectly.
Do you think the microphone is 'dead'?

In your first post you said you get a message that the device is not recognized. I have a feeling your camera messed with your sound drivers. try going to your motherboard manufacturer's web site and download the audio drivers from there. maybe reinstalling the drivers will fix it.