Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking AMD 955 BE.....Yes, another thread

Tags:
  • AMD
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
June 7, 2010 2:59:41 PM

Hey guys. I have read and watched pretty much every single overclocking guide on the internet about this processor. They all say the same thing, raise the multiplier, find a stable voltage, and your good to go. I'm not looking to break records here.....I'm just looking to get the most stable 24/7 performance boost out of my computer. I mainly just play games. My current specs are as follows:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE (Corsair H50 Watercooler)
Asus M4A79T Deluxe (790FX Chipset)
2 x 2Gig OCZ AMD Platinum Edition (Low Voltage)
EVGA GeForce 9800GX2
2 x 100Gig OCZ Vertex L.E. SSDs (AHCI.....not RAID)
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Corsair 750TX PSU
Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate

I ran PCMark Vantage and scored only 11,000 something. I foget the exact number. I currently have my memory timings set manually as follows:

CPU / NB Voltage to {1.35 volts}
DRAM voltage to {1.65 volts}
DRAM Command Rate to {2T}
DRAM Timings to CL 7-7-7-24 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)

Roy from OCZ gave me the settings and my computer runs fine with everything else on Auto.

Last night I started testing with the multiplier and cpu voltage. I currently have it at 19.5 x 200Mhz = 3900 Mhz and 1.43 volts. It does boot into Windows with no problems but I haven't ran any benchmarks or stress tests yet. I'm sure a higher voltage will be required. I'm shooting for 4Ghz but will probably end up around 3.8 from what I've read. My main question is, once I get a stable multiplier/voltage setting.........how should I go about tweaking the NB and the RAM to squeeze the most performance out of everything? That's the part that all of these overclocking guides seem to leave out. What good is a fast overclocked CPU if the other components can't keep up with it? With AMD CPU's is it better to raise the multiplier or drop the multiplier and increase the bus speed.....thus increasing the RAM speed? Or should I change the divider? If anyone can shed some light on the whole process I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

More about : overclocking amd 955 thread

June 8, 2010 3:02:17 PM

I would increase the bus speed so the NB and the RAM increase in speed. From there you'd also have to adjust the ratio of your RAM and NB to make sure they are stable. I have Crucial RAM DDR3 1066, but it doesn't like to go pass 1400mhz so I have to adjust me reference clock accordingly. I have a similar thread about this, and its pretty much agreed that you get more benefit from adjusting the reference clock than you would from adjusting the multiplier alone. It was also agreed that reviewers don't spend the time they need to get everything they can out of a BE processor.
m
l
June 9, 2010 2:02:29 AM

Well, i will tell the method i used.

Do one thing at a time, first find the best u can get of your processor
(mine here : 4.0ghz with 1.5v).

Then you put settings back to stock, and start upping your NB speed, see how far it goes... mine wont boot at 3000ghz, at 2.8ghz boots but doesnt stabilize.

So i use 2.6ghz with 1.30v, need to test what minimum voltage you can ran stable..same thing you did with the CPU.

Go back to stock settings and see what's the highest frequency that your ram your will boot, or the lowest timmings.

I can run my ram (generic: markvision ddr3 1333mhz) at 1600mhz 9-9-9-24-33 1T with 1.5v, any higher frenquency or lower timmings pc wont boot.

As for raising the multiplier or increasing the bus speed, i have tried both methods and i found that it wont make any diference.

I find raising the multipliers the easiest and best way, increasing the bus speed you might need to up the voltage in the SB if you push the bus speed to much...

Increase the bus speed only to get a couple more mhz, i dont see the use for that, assumming you'll be using the multiplier method you'll be only getting round and pretty numbers, no need for couple more mhz.

Hope i've helped.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
July 4, 2010 3:16:58 AM

Lude2envy,
You have already done an important step by setting you memory to their proper timings and voltage.
11,000 isn't a bad score for performance.
My advice, install AMD overdrive and overclock thru that. You can access the download thru AMD GAMES. The manual is also there.
You will find this an easy way to gain 0.7 - 0.9 ghz CPU speed.
It is also a good tool to help understand what OC'ing is all about as far as a total system goes.
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
July 4, 2010 4:37:53 AM

I've personally never bothered to overclock ram when having an unlocked multiplier chip, it shows no real world performance difference to me. You should also be able to change the multiplier on your northbridge to overclock that which will boost your L3 cache speed and actually show a performance gain.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 7, 2010 2:48:40 AM

Quote:
Uh No they shouldn't. Always overclock through the Bios

Uh it's a good way for a novice to get a feel for oc'ing without getting over their heads. Overdrive does not save settings upon reboot as bios does.
But it gives a good guideline to set your bios at if you choose.
As I stated, it's a good tool to help understand oc'ing. It plays with all of your components gradually, giving a good base to start with.
Although I do agree that bios is the ultimate way to OC, a total system OC can be very time consuming and frustrating at the start.
Overdrive has helped me get past the "my CPU's good, now what? stage.
m
l
!